Should I be more consistent?

Options
Hello all! Lately I have been into workout videos on YouTube (faves are Heather Robertson, MadFit, and FitnessType). 4-5 days a week for the last month I choose a 20 minute low impact interval workout and do it along with a warmup and cool down. I find myself looking forward to it, which is good for lazy me!
My question is, to see results and build muscle, should I be repeating the exact same workout a few times a week, or can I just pick one that looks good that day and mix up routines? There are so many vids I’ve done a different one every day. Does that matter?
Thanks in advance!! Would also love to hear your recommendations for more YouTube channels similar to those I mentioned!

Replies

• Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For general weightloss, the exercise itself doesnt matter... just the calorie burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You might make better progress on your building muscle goal by doing the right training inconsistently rather than doing the wrong (ineffective) training consistently.

Your current training might be better alligned to your "results" goal but you haven't made it clear what those results are.

Enjoying your exercise is a great thing though. The perfect routine you DON'T do because you dislike it doesn't get you anywhere.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Think of it as graduating as you build strength and endurance. Keep foundational exercises and add focus work.

Eating plan must be deliberate.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals include do losing weight — around 15 pounds. I know this will be achieved by a calorie deficit, and as one user above put it, a deliberate eating plan. In terms of what exercise can help me achieve, I’d like a stronger, leaner figure with more defined muscles.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In terms of what exercise can help me achieve, I’d like a stronger, leaner figure with more defined muscles.

Quoting @jjpptt2 from above.....
    "For physique/appearance -
    Do some actual, legitimate strength training... be it free weights, body weight, whatever... just make sure it's actual strength/resistance training not just more cardio masked as a strength/toning/whatever workout."

The point I was making in my earlier response is that your YouTube workouts do not seem alligned with your goals so whether you do them consistently or inconsistently they aren't going to help you progress towards your goal.

(For an extreme example just for emphasis - if you want to build upper body strength then consistently going for a walk isn't going to help with that goal!)