this is my story..looking for uk friends (and others)

Options
carlsberglewis1
carlsberglewis1 Posts: 45 Member
edited May 2020 in Motivation and Support
Yo guys looking for some UK friends to support and motivate along our journeys.

About me, i use to be an incredibly fat kid until I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 16.. I lost 5 stone during treatment which I see as a blessing to come from an illness so horrible.
After treatment I took up work in the fitness industry for 4 years so I know exactly how to get fit, it's just since leaving that industry and being diagnosed with severe depression I found myself spiralling into weight gain.
I feel I have a hold of it now and I'm trying to get back to how I was, and that's where you guys come in, this app is so positive and I would just love that motivation to keep pushing me.

Anyway that's me, would love to get to know you guys

Replies

• carlsberglewis1
    carlsberglewis1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This went well 😂
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Ha! I like your sense of humor! ... and what a compelling story!! It sounds as though you’ve been through a draining journey - physically and emotionally. I agree this is a good place to get support and build positive momentum. I’m (somewhat) active in another group called Accountability Buddies and invite you to join the wonderful group of people there. Some are from the UK and other parts of Europe, but I’ve seen other groups specifically geared to UK members so that’s another option. I’m from the USA and have lived in Asia (5-6 years) and Europe (2 years) and don’t participate in the MFP community enough to keep up with more than one thread. I’ll look forward to ‘meeting’ you again in the Accountability Buddies group if you decide to join us there but, either way, I feel confident you’ll do well on your journey given your proven ability to overcome previous challenges! Go get your goals!
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yo guys looking for some UK friends to support and motivate along our journeys.

About me, i use to be an incredibly fat kid until I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 16.. I lost 5 stone during treatment which I see as a blessing to come from an illness so horrible.
    After treatment I took up work in the fitness industry for 4 years so I know exactly how to get fit, it's just since leaving that industry and being diagnosed with severe depression I found myself spiralling into weight gain.
    I feel I have a hold of it now and I'm trying to get back to how I was, and that's where you guys come in, this app is so positive and I would just love that motivation to keep pushing me.

Anyway that's me, would love to get to know you guys

Hi, I'm in the UK too and was thinking to do a similar post to yours. I need accountability too and sometimes the time difference can get in the way! feel free to add me if you want
  • evilwitchvegan
    evilwitchvegan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    🇬🇧 Based too. Happy have more friends.
  • Mrs_Addams
    Mrs_Addams Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello! UK based here too - I'm in Nottingham. Always happy to have more friends!

I can totally relate to the depression = weight gain thing. That's me, completely. I used to run marathons, swim 5+ miles, hike 25 miles in a day. I was fit and healthy and a good weight. And then depression hit, and I lost motivation to do *anything*. Added to that, chocolate is tasty, pizza is tasty and at that point in time I just couldn't care less how it affected my health. But as I got fatter and unhealthier, the things I enjoyed were harder and harder to do, so I stopped doing them. It was a horrible vicious cycle I got into. What was worse was that the logical part of my brain knew that eating the entire 200g chocolate bar wasn't going to help matters, but I just couldn't stop myself.

However, that's started to change. Like you, I think I've got a handle on it now, even if the journey to return to fitness looks long and daunting. I've done it once, and I can do it again. I'm in a much better space mentally and ready to tackle this head-on.

We've got this.