fact or fiction?

Options
These are some things i've heard and are curious about.

1) eating low-cal cottage cheese with meals helps burn fat
2) you shouldn't eat past 6pm
3) working out on an empty stomach helps you lose weight
4) Jalapeno's help boost your metabolism

I've heard these things over the years and I wonder if theyres any truth to them. Both 2 & 3 make no sense to me.

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    2 and 3 aren't true...I mean, look at people like me that work evening shifts...I have to eat in the evenings and at night...calories are calories at anytime of the day. Low fat cottage cheese is a great source of protein, but not sure if it burns anymore fat?!?!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything about 1 and 2 and 3 are not true. You shouldn't eat right before you go to bed but make you last meal about 2 or 3 hours before you go to sleep. Working out on an empty stomach is bad for you and can put your metabolism into survival mode which will try to hold onto fat. 4 I have heard of.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    no.
    doesn't matter.
    no.
    minimally.
  • cmduncan
    Options
    1) eating low-cal cottage cheese with meals helps burn fat - I've never heard this and think it sounds bogus
    2) you shouldn't eat past 6pm - You shouldn't eat too close to sleeping, but that time is different for everyone. Don't go to sleep too hungry. Give your body a few hours of digesting time before calling it a night. But if you stop eating at 6pm and don't go to bed until 11pm, you're going to be hungry and sad.
    3) working out on an empty stomach helps you lose weight - Working out on an empty stomach leads to fatigue and an upset stomach. Your body needs fuel to move.
    4) Jalapeno's help boost your metabolism - Also sounds bogus, just saying.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I figured you shouldnt eat for a few hours before going to bed, but my cousin INSIST that no matter what time I wake up, I shouldn't eat past 6pm. If i were going to bed at 9pm I could understand. but what If I dont go to bed til midnight? id starve.

Maybe I should start eating jalapenos (if i can stand it) ekk.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    every body is different, but most of those are myths. personally i like to eat something about an hour before i work out, usually something light, like some nuts, or a bit of chocolate for afternoon work outs. usually i have a good breakfast in the am and i work out an hour later.
  • ckormos
    Options
    Eating after 6 is fine. If you work out in the morning, and eat breakfast after, is it normally better to eat a little later in the evening so that your body has energy and you get a better, more effective, workout. I normally do a big run in the morning, and eat breakfast after, or a gel before if it is a big run, so I need to eat a bit of carbs and protein in the evening so my body has enough energy to get through the run. When I don't, the run is normally slow and painful to get through, or I don't run as far as I'd like to.

Same thing for working out on an empty stomach. Your workout will be lest effective. When you have the right nutrients and feel comfortable, not full, not starving, your workout will last longer and you will be able to accomplish much more than if it were empty.

As for 4, I'm not sure..I think spicy foods speed up your metabolism, but not by a lot, so it wouldn't be worth eating something that is too spicy or you don't like.

Generally, I like to think of my eating as aiding my workout, so I plan my meals, and what I am eating, according to my workout schedule and what type of energy my body needs.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    These are some things i've heard and are curious about.

I've heard these things over the years and I wonder if theyres any truth to them. Both 2 & 3 make no sense to me.

1. It's a good source of calcium. A study I read said high intake of calcium has some benefit to weight loss programs.
    2. Eat a few hours before bedtime. If still hungry before bed, try drinking a big glass of water. Most people mistake dehydration with hunger.
    3. Fasted workouts are not good in my opinion if you're lifting heavy weights and need the energy, you'll end up quiting early cause you don't have the energy. Focus on total calories burned.
    4. Jalapenos are a thermogenic. It may raise body temp slightly for a short period, but not enough to make a significant difference during your workout. Try taking capsiacin pills if you want to try reap the benefits of a natural thermogenic.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think if you take that low-fat cottage cheese and eat it a couple of hours before you go to sleep then the protein will help ya stay full until morning. I eat right up until I go to bed "IF" I'm hungry and still lose weight. I think you just have to choose the right foods!!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    In response:

I don't think so - try grapefruit (provided its not canned in syrup)

Ideally, it's best to stop eating 2 hours before you sleep, as the metabolism slows down. Drink is OK, provided it's not anything desperatly sugary or fatty.

Rot. I eat carbs before (though obviously not too many if you want to avoid a pavement pizza) and protein after. A cup of coffee will help after too, as that will speed up the metabolism. Not all day though!

True, though minimally. You'd have to eat a lot of them for it to have a significant effect

HTH R