How long do you hate yourself for???

Options
Today was terrible. Really down, I have been out of work now for 5 months and am getting depressed by it all. I have had a cold and am still feeling unwell so what is the best thing I could do to make myself feel better? Have a massage? Go to the hairdressers? Read a good book? NO NO AND NO!!!!

I actually go out and buy a porkpie!!!! Just fyi that is my comfort food since forever. I came home and cut it up, threw a bit of salad at it (for a healthy extra) and proceeded to wolf it down untill I felt sick. I then followed that with 4 shortbread fingers because that is my 2nd favourite comfort food. On top of that I have managed to persuade myself that because I am feeling unwell I am not up to exercising so I exceeded my calories today by a significant amount. So my question is how long do you have to hate yourself when you do something so stupid??? :sad:

You see I think there should be a set amount of time so you can do your penance and then forget it otherwise it keeps popping up and slapping you in the face all day, so how long do you think?

Pork Pie = 3 hours ?
Shortbread = 1 hour ?

So 4 hours before I forgive myself and move on? What do you guys think?:ohwell:

Replies

• jadejellybones
    Options
    I have an eating disorder so I'm probably not the best person to give you feedback, but I have learned recently that just breathing deeply, relaxing, and maybe drinking some hot tea and NOT hating yourself for it is the best way to go. I've found that punishing myself for a binge does nothing good, it just makes me feel even worse. No set time, just forgive yourself immediately and move on. It's not like this is the end of the world.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I vote for zero hours! Those days really suck, there is no sugar coating it but in the end stressing about those days actually does more harm than good. Take a deep breath and start making better decisions. This too shall pass.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Never hate yourself. Hate your actions, but not yourself! It's a porkpie, not a crime spree! Sounds like you needed a treat. Have a couple of glasses of water this afternoon/evening, cut back on the carbs tomorrow (and dairy if you want to feel really in control) and move on!

Cheers!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I try to let it go as soon as possible.
    I ate terrible at work one day, came home around dinner time, and just started fresh again.
    I know that I've made a mistake.
    I know that it wasn't worth it.
    I know I might make a mistake in the future.
    But I'm human.
    I'm not going to keep beating myself up over it.
    And I do not exclude any foods from what I eat these days.
    I just have to be aware of what I'm having and decide if it's worth it or not.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes yes hate my actions, that sounds better, I will hate my actions for four hours LOL
  • cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” ~ Buddhist Proverb

Forgive yourself for your mistake, me all slip up. Starting right now, eat clean, go for a walk or do some exercise. If you are discouraged about your fitness level maybe try joining a new group - make some new friends that like to work out too!
  • manderson27
    Options
    @Jennmcpherson

Nice shoes xx
  • cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” ~ Buddhist Proverb

Forgive yourself for your mistake, me all slip up. Starting right now, eat clean, go for a walk or do some exercise. If you are discouraged about your fitness level maybe try joining a new group - make some new friends that like to work out too!

oops we* all slip up
  • rufflestx
    Options
    Well, congratulate yourself, you recognize a binge, the next one might not be as serious. I have said that dieting is the only activity that you should have slips, because if it weren't for a slip you wouldn't remember how good it feels to get back on track. So if you are feeling down, under the weather, not at your best, remember how hollow you felt after a binge. Thank yourself for allowing this experience, and then shake the chocolate chips from your sandals and move on.
    Your Friend,
    a flawed but grateful Texan
    Nancy
  • manderson27
    Options
    Well, congratulate yourself, you recognize a binge, the next one might not be as serious. I have said that dieting is the only activity that you should have slips, because if it weren't for a slip you wouldn't remember how good it feels to get back on track. So if you are feeling down, under the weather, not at your best, remember how hollow you felt after a binge. Thank yourself for allowing this experience, and then shake the chocolate chips from your sandals and move on.
    Your Friend,
    a flawed but grateful Texan
    Nancy

Yep you are right only half a pork pie next time LOL thanks:flowerforyou:
  • reignjonas
    reignjonas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Let it go as soon as you can. Recently I ate almost an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting, and I mean, a big bag, haha, and it was right before bed, too. I was disappointed in myself, but I let it go because it does no good to hate yourself for it. Just start fresh with your very next meal. :)
  • theberg
    Options
    Depression has been my demon of choice for many, many years. I try really hard not to hate myself over anything anymore. That said, we all have an off day. In fact the last one I had my local pizza place was involved. They've missed me... to the point that they were wondering if I was dead. So yeah. It happens. Get back up, dust yourself off, and keep on truckin.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    @Jennmcpherson

Nice shoes xx

Why thank you! I love them and they are super comfy. I wore them for my brothers wedding last weekend from 2:30pm - 3am, including photos in grass (a little challenging) and dancing all night long! They are from ShoeDazzle, here's a link. You'll get 20% off your first purchase with it.

http://www.shoedazzle.com/invite/g1f6p7dht
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    This weekend I was at a work party and I felt so confident, I felt like I was on top of the world. I loved what I was wearing, what I looked like and how happy I was. Aside from that yesterday, I honestly cannot remember a time where I didn't hate myself. I need more days like last night :(
  • manderson27
    Options
    Let it go as soon as you can. Recently I ate almost an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting, and I mean, a big bag, haha, and it was right before bed, too. I was disappointed in myself, but I let it go because it does no good to hate yourself for it. Just start fresh with your very next meal. :)

Mmmmmm Doritos. no no stop it LOL
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I know I'm off subject, but what is pork pie?
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It's a life long journey. You can't be perfect 100% of the time, it's plain impossible. Life happens. The key is to use what has happened in the past as a learning tool to help you in the future. Forgive yourself right away, but don't forget :wink:
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    In my opinion ...

Life is hard enough and it seems like your are dealing with more than enough stacked odds without planning additional challenges such as hating your actions or punishing yourself.

In life, I believe the only person who can truely believe in us and champion our cause is ourselves. So be your own champion - encourage yourself to do well, pick yourself up when you fall and ALWAYS try to talk to yourself in positive language.
    Negative seeds sew doubt, positive seeds - at the very least might sow hope .... and thats always worth it.

It sounds like you are going through a hard time right now, so please forgive this lecture but I admire that you are still looking to move forward. Can you give yourself a break and admire yourself?
  • manderson27
    Options
    I know I'm off subject, but what is pork pie?

It is a british recipe for a type of pie that has a spicy pork filling. It is very very high calorie and very yummy. :love:
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No hating yourself. Take it as it was, and keep going with your journey, and then love and be proud of yourself because you didn't let the pork pie or anything else get the best of you!

I am in a serious bout of depression right now (meds and exercise are NOT helping) and I made the choice to go eat McDonalds on Friday night. Then I had icecream. Saturday morning I woke up...realized it was a new day and didn't let the negative choices get the best of me. And now, although I just want to go home and hide under the covers, I still realize that I deserve better for myself. Not putting a potato chip into my mouth at this very moment is a victory because it proves that I have control over something in this very horrible period of my life.