Zumba?

Options
Getting ready to start a zumba class.... How many calories does it burn? I was told it was from 500-800 calories. Can that be right? Also how do i list it on here?

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The best way is to use a HRM, but if not, aerobics should work.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    love it i use a site to track my calories burned its www.zumbacalories.com.
    Enjoy x
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a lot of fun! I do it 1-2 times a week right now. Really think you'll like it!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM i burn over 650 cals in 45mins, today i burned 758cals doing 45 mins as i pushed myself harder today and it got my heart rate right up soo i burnt that littke bit extra :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the class, on your weight, gender, fitness level and how much effort you put into it - also on the intensity of the moves used in the class itself.

I'm very short and don't weigh that much, even though I'm overweight for my height, so my calorie burn is far lower than average for any given exercise. However, to give you an idea of variance, on Wednesday I did a Zumba class which left me almost literally on my knees and I burned just over 400 calories. Today I did a Zumba class with a different instructor in which I hardly broke a sweat and I burned only 198 calories.

If you're of a normal size, your figures would be proportionally higher.
  • meghanspuppy
    Options
    Zumba is great for burning calories while having fun! I take a class on Friday evenings and just bought Zumba Fitness for Wii. I wear a HRM when I want to calculate calories burned.
  • ColaSoBless
    Options
    Buying a HRM is your best bet, I do Zumba 3-4 times a week and I burn any where between 980 and 1200 calories.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I loooove Zumba. The last time I did it I burned 570 cals in an hour--I used a HRM. DO IT!!!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i totally want to get a HRM because i know the zumba calories web site over estimates. but i put it in as my own, and estimate the calories. i am a heavy girl, the zumba calorie counter says i burn 976 cals an hour, but i only log about 600. we'll see, i guess, when i get a heart rate monitor.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba every day for 1 hour with the dvd's. I also used the Zumba calorie site mentioned above and it said I lose about 937, I chart it at 700 on MFP because I worry about overestimating. In the beginning I wasn't seeing weight loss on the scale but I did notice it in inches and how my clothes were feeling. Finally started seeing it on the scale and it's coming off pretty fast. It's a lot of fun but I'm starting to get burnt out on it because that's all I do everyday. It really works...keep a towel handy because you will sweat a small lake! :laugh: Good luck!