Need help in starting the right way!

Options
Hi there!
I’m looking for tips on getting in better shape, eating healthier (without breaking the bank) and the sort of calorie intake I should be consuming.
I’m 30, 5ft 4/5, currently about 150lb (10st 10) and I’m looking to drop some weight and get leaner/slimmer (not looking for the totally shredded gym nut look - no offence, I just know it’s not something I could keep up lol)
My activity is currently pretty sedentary but after starting my diet last Tuesday I’m working in at least 30m of exercise a day, be it a YouTube work out like low impact cardio, or walking 2-5 miles. I’m pretty creaky and stiff even for my age but that’s probably because I never really exercise haha - very much looking to change that and become fitter.

My issue is, as ever before with trying to be healthier, I become scared of calories, carbs and fat. So whilst eating and drinking the occasional protein shake, my average calories per day over the last 6 days has been 700ish, I know this is not sustainable at all, and not something I want to try and sustain.
I’m just after the calories I need to consume to lose weight healthily, and if the whole macro/micro thing I see is all that important if I’m only looking to lose this donut midrif 🤣

All help is welcome, from food/exercise tips to not so naughty snacks that I won’t talk myself out of eating because of the calories, carbs or fat.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to calculate your calories. Set your activity, and set your weight loss goal to .5 lbs a week. Log any exercise separate and eat back those calories. Eat all your calories MFP gives you. 700 calories a day is unhealthy, and you aren't fueling your most important muscle your heart.
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • Paradiddle90
    Paradiddle90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,
    I did use the app to calculate calories, but then messed with the ratios of fats,carbs and protein - no idea why, other than thinking too many carbs and fats would mean no results, but what I’ve ended up with is an unrealistic protein goal that I just don’t hit, despite eating lean meat and protein shake.

And 700 calories is not healthy, I know this, and don’t plan on it becoming habit! But what I mean is, for example a couple of days ago... (calories are estimation, don’t want to keep going back to the diary to get the exact amount!)

I ate a protein bagel thin and peanut butter for breakfast (270cal)
    I walked a pretty uphill 4.3 miles (according to mapmywalk that burned 378 cal for my height and weight)
    For lunch I ate a bowl of assorted fruits like strawberries, raspberries, grapes, apricot and satsumas - all weighed individually (135 cal)
    Next was a snack of 2 corn rice cakes and cottage cheese (not overly fond of so don’t use much - 70cal)
    I used to only eat 1-2 meals a day so I’m struggling to be hungry in a way and don’t want to eat for the sake of eating... so my last meal was a protein shake with almond milk (198cal) and a slightly naughty (salty) bag of those fridge raider southern fried chicken bites (197 cal)

So in total I ate roughly 870 calories, burned 378 - don’t feel hungry or maybe it’s because I’m obsessing over the calories in things therefore just choose to ignore it 🤣

The thing I need to understand is the amount of calories to lose weight, and the ratio of carbs fat and protein I should aim for (although I did read in a comment elsewhere on here that I shouldn’t be concerned with those things, just meet my calories and nothing more)
  • Paradiddle90
    Options

Thanks! This was interesting to watch, guy basically said I could eat whatever the hell I want as long as I don’t go over the calorie limit to achieve my body weight 😁, Harry Potter style!

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options

Thanks! This was interesting to watch, guy basically said I could eat whatever the hell I want as long as I don’t go over the calorie limit to achieve my body weight 😁, Harry Potter style!

Exactly! Eat what you like. Actually, you should not be afraid of fats. Your body needs fats: for fatty acids for your health, your brains needs them to function properly, and eating too little fat might have an influence on bowel movement: people who think fats are bad for you often suffer from constipation. Yeah, they are higher in calories than carbs and protein, but totally necessary.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,
    I did use the app to calculate calories, but then messed with the ratios of fats,carbs and protein - no idea why, other than thinking too many carbs and fats would mean no results, but what I’ve ended up with is an unrealistic protein goal that I just don’t hit, despite eating lean meat and protein shake.

And 700 calories is not healthy, I know this, and don’t plan on it becoming habit! But what I mean is, for example a couple of days ago... (calories are estimation, don’t want to keep going back to the diary to get the exact amount!)

I ate a protein bagel thin and peanut butter for breakfast (270cal)
    I walked a pretty uphill 4.3 miles (according to mapmywalk that burned 378 cal for my height and weight)
    For lunch I ate a bowl of assorted fruits like strawberries, raspberries, grapes, apricot and satsumas - all weighed individually (135 cal)
    Next was a snack of 2 corn rice cakes and cottage cheese (not overly fond of so don’t use much - 70cal)
    I used to only eat 1-2 meals a day so I’m struggling to be hungry in a way and don’t want to eat for the sake of eating... so my last meal was a protein shake with almond milk (198cal) and a slightly naughty (salty) bag of those fridge raider southern fried chicken bites (197 cal)

So in total I ate roughly 870 calories, burned 378 - don’t feel hungry or maybe it’s because I’m obsessing over the calories in things therefore just choose to ignore it 🤣

The thing I need to understand is the amount of calories to lose weight, and the ratio of carbs fat and protein I should aim for (although I did read in a comment elsewhere on here that I shouldn’t be concerned with those things, just meet my calories and nothing more)

Macros do not directly affect weight maintenance, that is all about calories. Macros can affect satiety - different people find different macros filling.

Start with the mfp default macros. Many of us did, and we look at the protein and fat defaults as minimums we try to exceed, while letting carbs fall where they may. Eat foods you like, aim for a good amount of veggies, log accurately and consistently, hit that calorie goal. Move more, and eat some of your exercise calories. No need to make it more complicated than that, especially if it will cause you to undereat.
  • Paradiddle90
    Options
    Just need to find the right balance, I’m incorporating a lot of fruit and veg into my diet, maybe I just need to be less fearful of enjoying that freshly baked bread roll she has no fear of baking during this lockdown haha.
    What’s your go-to for bumping your calories between meals?
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Macros do not directly affect weight maintenance, that is all about calories. Macros can affect satiety - different people find different macros filling.

Start with the mfp default macros. Many of us did, and we look at the protein and fat defaults as minimums we try to exceed, while letting carbs fall where they may. Eat foods you like, aim for a good amount of veggies, log accurately and consistently, hit that calorie goal. Move more, and eat some of your exercise calories. No need to make it more complicated than that, especially if it will cause you to undereat.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just need to find the right balance, I’m incorporating a lot of fruit and veg into my diet, maybe I just need to be less fearful of enjoying that freshly baked bread roll she has no fear of baking during this lockdown haha.
    What’s your go-to for bumping your calories between meals?
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't have any problems getting enough calories :blush: . For people who do, typically nuts or nut butters, adding butter or oil to what they're already eating, and smoothies are go tos.

I eat around 50-55% carbs, so a good chunk of my calories come from oats, rice, beans, pasta. And ice cream!

My priorities in order of importance are:

1. Calorie goal (there are many days this is the only goal I meet. I'm a work in progress, and that's ok.)
    2. My step goal, which I've backed down to 6000 steps in this tumultuous time.
    3. Hit my protein and fiber goals, the mfp defaults.
    4. Follow a strength training program.
    5. Eat more veggies.

Individual foods don't make you fat or unhealthy on their own. It's the overall diet and lifestyle that matters. Having a piece of warm bread with butter doesn't negate all the "good" foods you ate, and won't make you gain weight unless you eat too many calories.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Screw macros for now. Focus on hitting your calorie goal first, and pay attention to tweaking macros when you have your calories in control. 700 calories is NOT healthy, which you already know.

The above is assuming you eat a regular diet that contains a variety of different ingredients. You need carbs, protein and fat in your life, all are critically important for your health. Still, getting enough energy to sustain you is even more important.
    but after starting my diet last Tuesday

It’s great that you’re working on a healthier you. However, dieting is not the way to get there. If you want permanent results, the changes you’re making can’t have an end date. All the more reason to eat without being scared of macros.

I suggest you eat for a few days (preferably a full week that includes both weekdays and a weekend if they have a different routine for you) the way you used to before last Tuesday, but measure and log every single thing you eat or drink. Set up your MFP profile again with a moderate weight loss goal (0.5 or 1lb per week), see what calorie goal MFP gives you. Take some time to review the week you logged, see how far off you are from your MFP calorie goal, and see what kind of small sustainable changes you could start making. Could you maybe replace something with a lower-calorie option? Add more veggies and have a smaller portion of a calorie-dense thing?

If you want the changes on your body to be permanent, the changes in your habits have to be permanent too. Life is meant to be enjoyed. You have to eat multiple times per day, it’s better to enjoy it than be scared of it.