Morning stiffness

Options
iffyllama
iffyllama Posts: 2 Member
Morning workouts are difficult for me. I am so stiff in the morning and it takes me up to 1.5 - 2 hours to feel good like I can move easily. Anyone else have this issue and have a way to overcome it?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Have your thyroid levels been tested?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem for years--I have OA. A long time ago I started a morning stretching, aerobic, yoga routine that now lasts an hour or more. That limbers me up and I'm fine for the rest of the day. I especially do it before going to the gym or pool. By the way, swimming and acquagym are great for this problem.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It would be advisable to discuss this with your doctor and find out what the cause is.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have your thyroid levels been tested?

I should've explained why I asked this: The first, most obvious sign that lead to my hypothyroid diagnosis was morning stiffness. It would loosen up if I did yoga, but I was super stiff before doing that, or take much longer amounts of normal daily movement to loosen up.

In retrospect, there were earlier symptoms, but they were so gradual and subtle that I didn't notice them or realize that they could be due to something like thyroid. (It didn't help that I was just coming off about a 8-month course of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation for stage III breast cancer. Something like that tends to mask unrelated fatigue, hair thinning, and other common symptoms.)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    This is my story, too, OP, and has been for decades. I found no way around it, really - so I don't do a workout before 11 AM. In my case, there is no discernible "cause" - pretty much everything has been ruled out medically over the years. It's just the way I am.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm not a doc, but you may want to try a few things like stretching before you get out of bed in the morning. Also, you could try using pillows or adjusting your sleeping position to make sure nothing is twisted or turned funny. Finally, there may be some starchy foods you are ingesting in the evening or alcohol that could have some kind of influence on the morning stiffness.