Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Yay @Camaramandy648 that’s great news.

On hats, @mbaker566, I always wear one, not only for sun protection and sweat absorption and keeping my hair off my face, but they will also keep rain out of your eyes. Not just any cap though, has to be quick dry fabric and no Velcro as I put it in the washing machine after every run (a lot of people don’t, I’ve discovered).

You're supposed to put your hat in the washing machine?????
    I thought that's what running in the rain was for -- to wash your hat and shoes.

Hence my comment about discovering a lot of people don't. I got such weird looks at my running club when I said I washed my hats - no one else there did, and there were about 10 of them. It wasn't an active choice either, the thought never occurred to them. My hats are always so sweaty at the end of a run I couldn't not wash them, otherwise they'd get horrible salt marks and go stiff and icky.

I wear visors not hats, because my head gets too hot otherwise. Anyway, I wash them every week or so. I have 2 in rotation, and yep even wear them at 530am when it's pitch black - they keep the rain off my glasses (can't remember who suggested that but was someone here).

Missed the last 50 posts, woah you guys are chatty today! Thinking of every one and hope you are all safe.

I was supposed to have my PT session today, but my youngest woke up vomiting, so I'm home with her while hubby is working, and he will be home in time to take over before I go to work.

It's amazing how quickly kids perk up though. For the last 4hrs she's been alternating sleeping /puking. Then about 20 mins ago she woke from a nap, and is completely back to normal. Eating, drinking. And won't shut up! Omg she a stream of consciousness atm haha.

But look how sweet she was when asleep!
    89cfpircpfij.jpg

Leg is feeling better, but definitely noticed pulling when I walked up a slope, so still not running till after the PT session.

Seriously though, how much will a week off affect my training? I got to 26k as my longest, that was 2 weeks ago now, I'm seriously thinking of dropping to just the HM in September, and concentrate on the marathon in November

I'm glad your little one is feeling better @avidkeo. As for marathon training - one week won't impact you at all really. However, I would caution against doing two so close together, especially for your first two. It'll be three weeks after your first before you're recovered. Doing a half six weeks before your full will be a good pace test for you. Just my two cents, but I really don't want you to get injured!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yay .

On hats, @mbaker566, I always wear one, not only for sun protection and sweat absorption and keeping my hair off my face, but they will also keep rain out of your eyes. Not just any cap though, has to be quick dry fabric and no Velcro as I put it in the washing machine after every run (a lot of people don’t, I’ve discovered).

I thought that's what running in the rain was for -- to wash your hat and shoes.

Wait? The rain works fine, or natural springs... Right?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Hence my comment about discovering a lot of people don't. I got such weird looks at my running club when I said I washed my hats - no one else there did, and there were about 10 of them. It wasn't an active choice either, the thought never occurred to them. My hats are always so sweaty at the end of a run I couldn't not wash them, otherwise they'd get horrible salt marks and go stiff and icky.

I wear visors not hats, because my head gets too hot otherwise. Anyway, I wash them every week or so. I have 2 in rotation, and yep even wear them at 530am when it's pitch black - they keep the rain off my glasses (can't remember who suggested that but was someone here).

Missed the last 50 posts, woah you guys are chatty today! Thinking of every one and hope you are all safe.

I was supposed to have my PT session today, but my youngest woke up vomiting, so I'm home with her while hubby is working, and he will be home in time to take over before I go to work.

It's amazing how quickly kids perk up though. For the last 4hrs she's been alternating sleeping /puking. Then about 20 mins ago she woke from a nap, and is completely back to normal. Eating, drinking. And won't shut up! Omg she a stream of consciousness atm haha.

89cfpircpfij.jpg

Leg is feeling better, but definitely noticed pulling when I walked up a slope, so still not running till after the PT session.

Seriously though, how much will a week off affect my training? I got to 26k as my longest, that was 2 weeks ago now, I'm seriously thinking of dropping to just the HM in September, and concentrate on the marathon in November

I'm glad your little one is feeling better @avidkeo. As for marathon training - one week won't impact you at all really. However, I would caution against doing two so close together, especially for your first two. It'll be three weeks after your first before you're recovered. Doing a half six weeks before your full will be a good pace test for you. Just my two cents, but I really don't want you to get injured!

Thanks. Yeah I've pretty much decided to just do Wellington as a half. As you say, good timing fo pace and at this point I'm more mentally prepared for that. My last half was 2:03:00 (or something). May aim to do 1:59:59. Given this is almost completely flat, it should be possible? Also I'm more thoroughly trained this time!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    Yes, it probably would!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options

89cfpircpfij.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I've pretty much decided to just do Wellington as a half. As you say, good timing fo pace and at this point I'm more mentally prepared for that. My last half was 2:03:00 (or something). May aim to do 1:59:59. Given this is almost completely flat, it should be possible? Also I'm more thoroughly trained this time!

I’d say you’re on track for that or better. Keep up the good work (and I hope that calf comes right quickly!)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

89cfpircpfij.jpg

I’d say you’re on track for that or better. Keep up the good work (and I hope that calf comes right quickly!)

Well good timing, it looks like they confirmed the date, 30th August. So I signed up!

Wellington half confirmed for 30 Aug, Auckland full confirmed for 1st Nov!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    58 posts behind... but I saw that @Camaramandy648 son is negative! YAY!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    As for hats... I have to wash mine every run or they will stink badly. I only use them in the cold weather though.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Wow, we seem to be back to our usual and talkative selves, but I was not prepared for like 100 posts since yesterday.

@mbaker566 I wear a hat frequently, but not always. In the winter, I HATE stocking hats/ toques even when I’m not sweaty, so my go to is a ball cap and ear band. In the summer, ball caps are sun protection/sweat catchers. And they do help keeping rain off my glasses if it is raining.
    @contrarymarymary - I do periodically wash my caps now that I run in them.... but growing up in a ranching community, it was almost a badge of honor how dirty and grimy you had gotten your hat.... eeps... but also why I am only committing to “periodically”....

Trying a new strategy on my goal, since I tend to miss it... if I set it higher, maybe I will hit what I actually want. :)
    So, goal for June is 60 miles running/wogging. - with a back up goal of 75 miles intentional movement miles. So, if I can’t convince myself to run, maybe I can at least get some hiking time or quality time with the new treadmill via walking.

On track for day one, at least. 2.19 miles/60
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just a bit of color from my yard for y'all...
    This is a wildflower. I mean I am sure a prior owner planted it, but it just grows in the woods at the edge of my property every year, so I call it a wildflower. :)

Might be peony.

jclcslh33h38.png

what do the leaves look like? kinda looks like a wild rose

i was thinking peony but i didn't know they grew wild
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    Beautiful flower @PastorVincent . Thanks for sharing the beauty.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    with the heat coming, i was looking at different hydration options. i was looking at liquid iv but this one looked better, i'll give it a try

i wanted skratch and tailwind but they seem expensive so i put them on my christmas list. maybe liquid iv will end up there. i was also considering pedialyte packets