Working out without shoes on.

Options
2»

Replies

• mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Raised on a farm, I didn't wear shoes except to go to school and church, and during winter. But, just because I did it then doesn't mean it's a good idea, or even healthy, to do so now - as a T2D it is not safe. But experiment with works for you. If your feet or knees or other joints hurt after exercising barefoot, put the tennies back on.

No, you should not forget what your downstairs, or any other, neighbors think. In most circles that would be considered rude and antisocial to disregard their needs.
    This post is over 10 years old

And so what if the original post is over ten years old? Just having it pop up again could be beneficial to a lot of folks who haven't been here that long, not to mention that new answers might add value to the discussion.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes if I don't have to! I tried my treadmill barefoot, but the texture of the belt hurts/rubs my feet raw. I do have to wear shoes if in a gym or outside. I also have a dance and gymnastics background, so grew up mostly barefoot. Your feet, ankles, calves, etc can take a lot, but you should build up gradually, just like anything else.
    Oops, just realized it's a zombie thread. Oh well, I've actually been thinking about this subject lately.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes when I swim at the gym.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    After I recovered from plantar fasciitis (from race with too little training) after years of continuous incomplete healing, I slooowwwly eased into barefoot running and got the feet very strong. Vibram & Merril barefoot shoe trail running very helpful in that regard.

Any shoes I use that might interfere with natural impact absorbing of shock by the feet (inch of foam ain't going to do anything for you really) I make sure are super flexible so feet can do the job they are meant for.

Any rigid shoes where that won't work (biking shoes, dress shoes) I still wear my custom orthotics.

Except backpacking depending on total distance being done, if short distance feet can take inflexible shoes even with extra weight.

The secret is slowly - our feet are so accustomed to rigid shoes and not complete flexibility and slight impact shock absorbing that most of us walk in manner not great for barefoot activities until we get used to it.

I also stopped wearing shoes swimming at gym. The aerobic's ladies just gave me strange glares.

ETA - considering how many more are working out at home - this thread coming back is probably very useful.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don't wear shoes doing strength stuff at home or yoga or pilates. I do for strength stuff at the gym, and I do when biking and running, of course.

I pretty much never wear shoes indoors except when riding my bike on a trainer.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,057 Member
    Options
    I use to work out barefooted until I fractured my foot last April .... and again this year ... just had foot surgery in March where the Dr. put a screw in my foot ....just becareful
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people purposefully kicking off the shoes and socks for kettlebell and weighted club exercises.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don't wear shoes on the erg . . . um, er, Concept 2 rowing machine. Long time ago, going to a big indoor race, I contacted the organizer to make sure this was OK (socks, not barefoot), because it's eccentric. She said it was fine, but told me afterward she thought, when I emailed, that I was a teenager. I was (IIRC) 48 at the time. ;)

Fun fact: Kind of, most of us on-water rowing people don't wear shoes in boats, because boats have their own shoes atttached, mostly. Really!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't wear shoes on the erg . . . um, er, Concept 2 rowing machine. Long time ago, going to a big indoor race, I contacted the organizer to make sure this was OK (socks, not barefoot), because it's eccentric. She said it was fine, but told me afterward she thought, when I emailed, that I was a teenager. I was (IIRC) 48 at the time. ;)

Fun fact: Kind of, most of us on-water rowing people don't wear shoes in boats, because boats have their own shoes atttached, mostly. Really!

Why am I picturing some sort of wooden clog attached?! I know that can't be right. Brightly painted with flowers and vines.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Why am I picturing some sort of wooden clog attached?! I know that can't be right. Brightly painted with flowers and vines.

LOL. I wish: That would be nice. ;) Some have a thing we call a clog. I don't have a photo handy, but it's sort of a shaped foot-holder cup with a strap across the instep. It's similar to the Concept 2 strap-in, but a shaped thingie rather than a flat foot-plate. Most of us go sock-foot in those, but people with tiny feet sometimes wear water shoes in them.

Most serious boats have actual shoes, that look pretty much like any flat-sole athletic shoe. In boats that many people share, they're usually Very Large, like size 14 or something, to work for everyone. The newer (safer) ones don't have laces, but rather a velcro strap closure. The two velcro straps (L&R) are connected with a length of cord. If - regrettably - as occasionally happens - you find yourself annoyingly upside-down in the water, you pull that cord to get out of both shoes in one go. (The shoes also have a cord from the heel to a boat part, in the hope that gravity will simply detach you from the shoe if you flip - if I'm women's size 9, and the shoe is men's size 14, that theory almost always works. :lol:).

Rowing has all kinds of arcane baby-feline stuff. Part of what makes it fun. ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    For low impact at home workouts I do them barefoot - have done for years with no issues.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    oops old thread!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Old threads are the best threads ;)

FWIW, I'm always barefoot in the house and that includes for exercising. No problems.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I either workout barefoot or with barefoot shoes on, I love vivobarefoot, human feet are amazing feats of biological engineering! Shoes get in the way of your feet working optimally and if the feet aren't working optimally then the rest of the body won't be either.