Stress and weight gain

Hi everyone. I’m really looking for help.

What effect does high stress and anxiety have on weight gain (fat). My training is excellent, diet is 80 / 20 on point and Macros all tracked. Yet, I am gaining fat. I think this is due to high stress levels and high anxiety. My levels are extreemly high and prolonged (4 months plus) due to a family illness.

Any insights would be helpful. Thank you.

Replies

• Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Uff I completely understand you. I meditate and it helps for a tiny bit
  • digestibleplastic
    digestibleplastic Posts: 27 Member
    For sure. Stress can make you literally physically ill or kill you! So it can absolutely make you fat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727271/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Stress and anxiety always do the opposite for me. I lose my appetite and lose weight like crazy. Even if I'm eating the same I personally don't notice a difference I rarely gain weight unless I really deliberately eat in a surplus but I know it can affect everyone differently. I think there's nothing wrong with taking a break and eating at maintenance during this time, try to get enough sleep and rest and get exercise in when you can (as long as it helps you destress)

Sorry you are going through this hope everything is ok <3
  • BelleHastyle
    BelleHastyle Posts: 5 Member
    try to relax , emotional stress can cause you problems , try to do Yoga
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    Meditation can really help. "Teach Yourself to Meditate" by Eric Harrison is a good place to start.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Stress affects everyone differently, I should think. I personally lose weight if I am really stressed, but it could well be that I am still hanging on to fat.

I hope things improve for you soon.