Half Marathon Training

Options
I am doing my first half marathon in 5 weeks. I have been running for a long time doing six miles three days a week and 9 miles one day a week. I would like suggestions from others if I should actually run 13.1 miles sometime before the race or if I ran 10-11 once that would be okay. I have heard that if I can do 10-11, then I can do 13. Ideas?

Replies

• Speedy89
    Options
    Yeah you should be fine if you can run 10-11...why not just run 2 extra miles one day to see?

Generally, I hit a wall after burning about 1300 calories, which is why I need an energy bar/banana for super long runs, you may need to do the same, because once you hit that wall, moving seems impossible.

PS. Kudos for attempting the HM...very impressive for a woman at your age!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 half marathons & 1 full and it isn't necessary to run the full distance. With what you are running, you are more than ready. When I train for a half, I never go above 10miles. Just stay hydrated & find out which gelsyou are going to use and you'll do great! Good luck and congrats. It is an awesome feeling to run a distance race!!
  • wifeygettingfit
    Options
    I'm currently using this plan: http://marathontrainingacademy.com/training-plans
    Personally, I would definitely run 13.1 prior to marathon day! Just knowing that I've done it before would definitely get me through race day! besides, you will be able to say you've run two (2) half marathons!!!!
  • simplysara9
    Options
    I have heard that you should run at least the distance of the race if not a mile or two longer before the race.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    You can absolutely do it. My first half marathon training program only had me run 10 miles before the actual race and you're nearly there already.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Go online and there are plenty of programs you can follow. Runner’s world has a lot of good information. You have a couple more weeks where you can get in a 10-12 mile run but as you do that you have to reduce the miles during the week to give your body time to recover.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I agree that if you can do 10-11 you will have no problem making the half distance. Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've run several half marathons and a few full ones...including one this morning.

To an extent you will be running on adrenalin and that will count for something. However you should try to build up as close to the 13 miles as you can (more would be better). It will allow you to run longer at a sustained pace and should keep you from fading at the end of your race.

If your long run is 9 miles this week, do 10 miles next week, 11 the next, then 12, then 13. I would cut back the week before and taper (limit yourself to perhaps only half your normal mileage during the last week as it allows healing and for your to be rested for your race).

Good Luck!

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10-11 miles, you'll be able to complete your half marathon just fine on race day barring any unforeseen circumstances. I've got 32 half marathons and one full marathon (trying to do one in every state) under my belt and have never run the full amount of the race prior to race day in my training. I do advise you to walk through every water stop. Taking water from the youngest volunteer just adds to the experience.

You're gonna have a great time! Enjoy!!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've run several half marathons and a few full ones...including one this morning.

To an extent you will be running on adrenalin and that will count for something. However you should try to build up as close to the 13 miles as you can (more would be better). It will allow you to run longer at a sustained pace and should keep you from fading at the end of your race.

If your long run is 9 miles this week, do 10 miles next week, 11 the next, then 12, then 13. I would cut back the week before and taper (limit yourself to perhaps only half your normal mileage during the last week as it allows healing and for your to be rested for your race).

Good Luck!

I agree with Jeff. I think it's important to have put the mileage in so as you know what to expect and can address any issues such as fuel and water on a 'test' run before the actual race. And by the way, be proud of your mileage. You're nearly there as it is :happy: Go for it.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I got to 13+ before I even started training for my half, which was good because I never got to that distance (injury + illness) while half training, although I had planned on getting to 15. Get as close as you can, the difference between 11 and 13 is less than a half hour extra of running :)

As for marathons, well 26.2 is a whole 'nother story, and my plan calls for 21, I'm going to try and get to 23 on the day that calls for 21 miles. Although I'd love to run 26+ in training, I know I'll have the confidence (which is really what the last 3-5 miles is all about) to finish strong.

Good luck!
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice. It was great to read and very helpful. I did run a practice half marathon this morning. It took a while but I ran the whole way. I do feel better knowing that I have done it in the past, but I will also say that the miles past 10 were tough. I feel pretty confident, though! Thanks!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As long as you can run 10-11 you'll be fine on race day. If you can get 13 or even 15 before the race, then even better. But the trick is you need to be able to recover from the longer distance without it mucking up the rest of your training.

I always say the best that even happened to my half marathons was marathon training.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Based on what you've done I think you'll be in good shape. But it wouldn't hurt to bump the 9 mile run to a 10 for the next 4 weeks. I wouldn't recommend that mileage on the 5th week. I kept my mileage down the week before I I seemed to have a little more for the end.