50 lbs in 4 months! = Easy

Options
124»

Replies

• klopiccolo1
    klopiccolo1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OMG 50lbs in 4 months! Thats amazing...wtg!
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing, must see if I can get to see the film, but I noticed someone else from the UK said it was unavailable here :-( Thanks for the heads-up tho and congratulations on the weightloss :-)
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Fathead is great movie. The big take away is that dietary fat isn't the baddy all these authoritative diet folks have been stuffing down our throats since the 70s. And also that lowering your carb intake is a valid weight loss strategy. If you like this movie you should read Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. You can also read an interview with him in Feb. 2011 Readers Digest issue.

Great job on dropping the weight! Keep it up!
  • nero14
    Options
    I'd like to say that it's now been 6 months (2 months since origionally posting this topic)- still using MFP and the "Fat Head Diet" and I've actually lost 66 lbs now... crazy.

hard to believe it's been this simple.

6 months. 66 lbs. eating Jr bacon cheeseburgers from wendys... for realz.
  • Hauteslimdown
    Hauteslimdown Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    for the people in the uk you can try watching it on youtube just type in fat head movie

or heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVEiYwFvKvU

i loved the movie i watched it as soon as i saw this post :flowerforyou:
  • anniecannie
    Options
    just watching the movie now!
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • argharna
    Options
    I just watched the movie fat head after reading your post. thank you so much for the advice on it. it really made me think diffrent about how Im going about my eatting.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    I'd like to say that it's now been 6 months (2 months since origionally posting this topic)- still using MFP and the "Fat Head Diet" and I've actually lost 66 lbs now... crazy.

WOW! Excellent!! May I add you as a friend???
  • routerguy666
    Options

Did you happen to track body fat % along the way? I've lost a lot of weight in about 6 months and the challenge wasn't losing fast (being a guy and not eating much = fast loss), but preventing a lot of muscle loss along the way. I had to take protein levels way, way up to counteract that (200g per day before muscle loss stopped being 25% of fat loss).
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like some stuff I've been reading. I have 2 very good books that might be interesting to people watching this thread. Neither of them are for the casual reader looking for a diet book; rather they investigate in quite some depth the (erroneous) foundations of the dietary fat warnings that we all learn as dogma.

1) "Know Your Fats", by Mary Enig. This book is written by a lady with a PhD in lipid biochemistry, and in it she seeks to explain "just enough" about the biochemistry of lipids (fats and oils) for an intelligent layperson to understand how fats are built, how they are classified (saturated, polyunsaturated, etc.), the role they play in our body (they are absolutely critical at every stage of our development and metabolism), what is wrong with processed fats (such as trans fats), and so on. She also discusses, from the point of view of a scientist with a lifelong career researching lipids, how the established dogma remains in place despite tons of research which flatly contradicts it.

2) "Good Calories, Bad Calories" , by Gary Taubes. Taubes has an undergraduate degree in chemistry and has since worked as a science journalist. This book is an extremely meticulous and exhaustively researched examination of how we came to be where we are with regard to policy : why we are told by the government and nearly all of the experts that "saturated fat is bad for you", "animal fats are especially bad for you", "low fat diets lower cholesterol", and so on, despite the fact that none of these statements is supported by rigorous scientific research. We hear these things so often from so many different authorities that even to hear someone suggest that they are untrue is a little disturbing. Taubes give a very careful account of which specific research was used as a basis to make these claims, and the detailed path these claims followed on their way from hypotheses to (spurious) conclusions to policy to dogma. To be honest, I haven't finished this book; I got through two chapters and needed a break. I'll probably go back and read the rest, although perhaps at a faster pace. Most of us really don't need *that* much detail, but it is reassuring to see that someone has scrutinized the topic so conscientiously.

For myself, I see this issue as particularly important, because I know that there are tons of people out there who are just like me. I am overweight for 2 reasons: 1) I really, really love food, especially food that is rich in fat. And 2) I always believed that losing weight and becoming healthy would involve making sacrifices that were far too unpleasant to consider, and most likely impossible. And so I very deliberately avoided the thought of trying to lose weight for the past 30 years.

I'm now several weeks into my first ever diet and exercise program, and I'm surprised to learn that I can actually lose weight without suffering or relying on "willpower". Mainly, I've cut out sugar, refined wheat and other empty carbs. And counting calories has helped me realized exactly what is needed to reach my weight loss goals. The big surprise is that I DON"T need to eliminate fat ! Yay ! If anything, I've upped my consumption of bacon. Getting rid of so many unneeded and unfulfilling carbs, eating more belly-filling fiber, and exercising just a little bit of restraint when it comes to portion size, seconds, and snacks (unconscious eating) have made all the difference. I am losing weight and feeling way, way better in body and mind than I have felt in years.
  • Cjacoby79
    Cjacoby79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Currently watching it. Congrats on the weight loss.
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    quick shout out: watch the movie "FAT HEAD" on Netflix (it is an instant streaming-available movie so you could even do it at your computer!). It will change the way you look at weight loss- and it helped me- along with MFP- make the rapid progress that I did!
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fat_Head/70115017?trkid=2361637

Soooo today I just hit the 50 lbs lost mark... pretty excited.

there have been a lot of haters along the way saying "Well after that 20 lbs you first lose it's going to slow down... " - whatever. Don't listen to people when they tell you that you can't do something or that you've got to take your time and lose 1 lb a week or something--

after the first 2 weeks it was really easy-

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/ickaris11/weightloss.png

weightloss.png

that's a link to a graph I've kept since March 1st. Green line represents 1 lb lost every 3 days (a target, healthy rate I was aiming for) and you see the blue line-- that's my actual loss so I went pretty quick...

also I'm a pharmacist and all my customers just love it-- I'm 29 and all the old ladies are hitting on me now...!

Starting Weight: 256

Current Weight: 206

Goal Weight: 180

Also I'd like to shamelessly plug drum and bugle corps-- because not enough people know about that and it's awesome... so yeah.

http://youtu.be/bX_DlPQd9Os

Just watched Fat Head, thanks for the suggestion!
  • Mikkaelaa
    Mikkaelaa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    watched the movie.
    Part one- hate it
    talks like mcdonalds pays him lol
    2nd - love it and totally agree
    low carb diet is the only successful diet i tried.
    and i truly believe that there is nothing - REALLY NOTHING good in carbs.
    all weight i have i can thank to carbs....
  • pork_belly
    Options
    watched the movie.
    Part one- hate it
    talks like mcdonalds pays him lol
    2nd - love it and totally agree
    low carb diet is the only successful diet i tried.
    and i truly believe that there is nothing - REALLY NOTHING good in carbs.
    all weight i have i can thank to carbs....

I recommend reading Gary Taubes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories" book. You can check it out at your local library. If the reading is a little too dry then try his other book "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It".

You can watch this video presentation for starters:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUspjZG-wc
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!