Tracking rice - 1cup BEFORE/AFTER cooking?

Options
2»

Replies

• socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    after cooking
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The rice will never absorb the same amount of water twice, so there is no way to put the exact calotie count of cooked rice on the package. Weigh the rice dry, cook, then weigh again. Then divide the calories by the cooked weight to get cals/gram, and then you can determine the calories in any size portion.
  • sophiemerrick16
    Options
    Good idea to weigh before as well as after!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    So I want to track some rice, but 1 cup or uncooked rice turns into like 3 cups after cooking! So in my diary, would I track that as 1 or 3 cups? I've been wondering this for months!

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)
    1 cup of uncooked rice doesn't gain calories when cooked, just water, so just adjust the consumed amount as a percentage of the raw rice. You could divide the total uncooked caloric value to the cooked value and divide by weight or measurement, it's up to you.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I wanted rice for supper tonight and ended up googling it and found out that it is 1/4 cup DRY rice (before it's cooked) that makes 1 serving ... and it cooks up to 3/4 cups. WOW I am so happy ... I have been logging it wrong !!!! and now I can enjoy it so much!!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Dry. That is the simple answer to your simple question. Don't let people confuse you with unnecessary information ;)

Yes, weight is more accurate. But weighing food all the time is not a way I, at least, would like to live my whole life - and not necessary for the majority of people. The difference is not significant enough!

Track the uncooked rice. 1 cup dry usually makes about 4 cups cooked. 1 c uncooked rice is usually about 600 kcal.
    But honestly? You can track it cooked, too. Once again, the different in calories is not really significant over the long run. 1 c cooked rice is usually about 150 kcal.

To each their own, but this concept seems a little bizarre to me when you're following a recipe. I can get saying you just want to toss together a salad or a stir-fry without measuring, but you're going to measure the rice anyway to get the right proportion of water to rice, aren't you? It's generally easier and more accurate and dirties fewer utensils to weigh the ingredients in your recipes than to portion them out based on volume.

I had a food scale in my kitchen for baking long before I ever started using to track and log my personal food intake. It's just more accurate. (Especially when I started making bread in a bread machine in warm weather, when I don't want to turn the oven on, and couldn't gauge whether the amount of flour was correct from the feel of the dough during the kneading process, since I wasn't doing the kneading.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Arrgghh!! Suckered by a zombie thread!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Before. Some people put more/less water. The weight/volume of that water will make a difference in the weight/volume of the cooked rice, but not the total calories/nutrition.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    if you weigh dry log using an entry that matches the box. . If you weigh cooked find a usda entry that matches ie.

20545, Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked, unenriched, with salt
    thats what i do.
  • kevincommins1
    kevincommins1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can measure out how much raw rice you’re cooking then eat what you want save the left overs for the week and divide by how many days it takes to eat all the rice.
  • kevincommins1
    kevincommins1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It won’t be exact but in the long run it won’t affect much your body won’t care
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's been over seven years, I hope they've figured out how to measure rice by now.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I prefer dry when using bulk rice. Water content is a big variable. Whatever way you choose, be sure you're picking the corresponding database measure (i.e., using "1 cup cooked" for "1 cup dry" etc.). Be sure your portions are proportionate, most people guess incorrectly - that's where measuring portions of cooked comes in handy. Now, if you're adding things to it (oil, veg, meat, etc.), then of course be sure to capture them too. For boxed items and preparations, use the nutrition label to guide what you do.