Post COVID weight loss

Options
So I’m a critical care RN in NJ (an epicenter of the COVID crisis).
I ended up getting COVID at the end of March and holy crap what a nightmare it’s been.
I gained 15 lbs over two months. I’m normally super active but became very sedentary.
I normally cook at home but my colleagues at work were sending me door dash like every day.
I ended up becoming very ill with neurological symptoms of the disease. I spent 5 days in the ICU with viral encephalitis. I feel like it messed a lot with my mind as well.
I’m getting back into the swing of things now and working hard on recovery and losing those 15 lbs I gained.
Stamina is an issue. The fatigue is still alarmingly bad. All I wanna do is sit on my behind.
I’m on Day 6 of a yoga challenge and I’ve been trying to build stamina by walking a lot (before COVID I would take 5 mile walks daily). I’m up to about 4 miles a day now.
I’m back to trying to make food at home.
I was 15 lbs from my goal and now I’m 30 lbs and I’m so disappointed. It’s so upsetting to me. I had lost almost 70 lbs over two years and now I’m so upset by falling back.
Has anyone else had COVID? How has that impacted your progress? How do you manage the fatigue?
My resting heart rate went from 67 to 95. When I go for a simple walk my heart rate climbs as high as 150 and I feel like I’ve gotten a full blown cardio workout. It’s ridiculous.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    I probably had Covid19 (no test to confirm) but nowhere near as bad as you! I had trouble breathing during exercise for a while after healing, but not very bad.
    I agree with comments above, you'll need some time to recover fully endurance wise and aiming at maintenance (or a very small deficit) sounds like a good plan while your body recovers.
  • Jstarz1
    Jstarz1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear what you went thru but als am so grateful what you are doing for the people in your community....i salute you!!!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Wow! You have been through A LOT!! With your medical background you don't need me to tell you this, but take care of yourself. That is the best investment of time and effort you can make right now. The sooner you feel better, the sooner you will return to your pre-Covid activity & routine. Seriously, pushing too hard & slowing your recovery will NOT get you to your goal quicker. This is certainly a case of slow & steady wins the race.

I'm really sorry about the neurological effects, too. Unspeakable bummer. Be kind to yourself & cut yourself slack in that dimension, too. :flowerforyou: