Home workout routine

Options
Hi guys,

I'm after some feedback on how to balance my homeworkouts during lockdown. I've been doing a 4 day cycle:
Day 1: run 30 mins
Day 2 : compound lifts 3x10 reps each
Day 3: boxing 20-30 mins
Day 4: rest
Repeat

However I'm wondering whether this is balanced and will lead to fat loss and toning. I'm debating combing some of the workouts so that I would be doing more cardio. So I might do run and weights, boxing, run and weights, rest day etc rather than weights on separate days to cardio, or is it best to keep them separate? I want to push myself for results, but not over do it.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I would suggest lifting at least 2x per week. Once is just not enough to make progress. But you need to increase in small steps. So, I would add in one day of strength without adding any cardio, for 1-2 weeks. (So maybe lift day 5 and make it a 5 day cycle) Then, if you feel you need more cardio, add 5-10 min per cardio workout.
    You also need to slowly increase the weights each week. Rest and repeat.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie makes great points. Let me add the standard stuff we say here:

- Fat loss is mostly a function of your calorie balance. Additional cardio does allocate you some additional calories, but that is a bad reason to do it (you just end up chasing your tail, if that makes sense). A better reason is so that you improve your cardiovascular health.
    - Significant muscle mass gain requires a significant amount of resistance training (e.g., weight training). But any level of resistance training really helps your overall fitness level.
    - Just about any exercise is good exercise. Most important is that you enjoy it and keep it as part of your life.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    How are you running if you are locked into your home?
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @MostlyWater I think the OP is in the UK like myself. Even during the peak of our lockdown we were allowed out once a day for exercise. At the moment, lockdown has been relaxed to the point where there are technically no restrictions on how many times you leave your home a day.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Treadmill?
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in the UK where I have been running in the fields behind my house where I rarely see another person in the distance let alone near by.

Would it be better to alternate weights and cardio on a 7 day cycle?
    Eg

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights
    Run
    Weights
    Rest on day 7

Or

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights
    Rest on day 5 then repeat as above

I'm used to just going to the gym and doing classes or having a PT so not sure how to put together my own routine.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You might not want to put together your own routine. Following a structured lifting program is beneficial. What does your lifting routine look like? It's hard to say which schedule will work best without knowing what your program involves and how long you have been doing these exercises.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You might not want to put together your own routine. Following a structured lifting program is beneficial. What does your lifting routine look like? It's hard to say which schedule will work best without knowing what your program involves and how long you have been doing these exercises.

I've just been doing compound lifts, so:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench press
    Bent over rows
    Overhead press
  • DancingMoosie
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Deleted. I'll be back later😁
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

Eg

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights
    Run
    Weights
    Rest on day 7

Or

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights

It makes more difference what you do for those workouts than how exactly you cycle through them. I mean there's weights and then there's WEIGHTS, if you know what I mean. I like to do something active every day, if possible. (Some days are easy.)

Anyway, it's most important to find a rhythm that works for you doing things that you enjoy. Pick some fitness goals (e.g., running goals, lifting goals). Do some online classes or individual training.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in the UK where I have been running in the fields behind my house where I rarely see another person in the distance let alone near by.

Eg

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights
    Run
    Weights
    Rest on day 7

Or

Run
    Weights
    Boxing
    Weights

I'm used to just going to the gym and doing classes or having a PT so not sure how to put together my own routine.

Some of this is (nearly) unanswerable by strangers, IMO.

For any routine you're considering:

* Would this routine cause persistent exhaustion and fatigue, for you personally? If so, it's not a good routine.** (It might still be a routine you could gradually work up to.)

* Would this routine fit into your life with good life balance? ("Good life balance" means enough time and energy for your family, job, chores, important non-exercise hobbies, etc.).

* Would you enjoy this routine, at least enough that you'll actively want to do it most of the time, and not instead be latching onto any excuse to put it off or skip?

Moosie is right about having a good, well-designed progressive strength program ****, and it is good to consider how the body stresses of that program interplay with your other activities, so that - generally speaking, so oversimplifying - you get two sleeps worth of adequate recovery between working the same muscle groups hard. (For example, I consider my rowing schedule when I think about my strength schedule, because, for my own individual body, I can overuse certain leg-push and upper-body-pull groups if I don't).

To really give you a nuanced answer, we'd need to know your current fitness levels in all relevant domains, the nature of the boxing workout, etc. But those are things you can figure out yourself, with a little experimentation and attentive monitoring of how you feel.

If you have a heart rate monitor or fitness tracker, you can use that on the cardio side of things as an input, too: This is oversimpified, but in general, you should see your heart rate slowly get lower for the same exercise duration/intensity, over a period of weeks plus; you may see your resting heart rate slowly decline; and you should see your heart rate recovery (how fast your rate drops after you finish exercise) improve. If those start moving in the wrong direction - again, oversimplifying - it can be a sign of overdoing (could be something else, too, so consider it in light of things like sleep quality, stress, weather, hydration, etc. - HR is just one input).

You can also keep reading and learning about planning and managing your exercise routine, to take on board ideas that will help you evaluate and adjust your own program. You don't have to switch things up with each thing you read, you can accumulate knowledge/evidence and compare it with your personal experience. It'll be OK.

** A good routine is a little bit challenging, maybe leaves you with a bit of a "whew" feeling right afterward for a few minutes, but otherwise leaves you feeling strong and energetic for the rest of your day (and subsequent days). From strength routines, you may have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) at first - though that's not a measure of effectivenss - but you shouldn't have hindering soreness after the first couple of weeks. Excessive exercise (duration, intensity, frequency, load) causes fatigue that can reduce daily life calorie expenditures (resting more, perhaps in subtle ways), so be counterproductive to your goals. Over time, a routine that was once challenging tends to become easy. As that happens, you can increase duration, frequency, intensity or load (or choose a new, harder type of exercise) to keep a little bit of challenge continuously - without forgetting those life balance and enjoyment dimensions!

**** http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Best wishes!