Reduced food, increased exercise, but my weight went up not down?

Options
helaurin
helaurin Posts: 157 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Trying to figure out why my weight went UP 1.6 pounds last week when I thought it should be going DOWN.   I need some help or advice on this.  

My primary dedicated exercise activities are walking outside and using an elliptical inside (very low impact, due to psoriatic arthritis and existing joint damage).  I'm using a Fitbit for tracking.

Exercise/Step Count:
Last week, I averaged 9,920 steps per day. 
Week prior, I averaged 8,380 steps per day.
So last week was an 18% increase in steps vs the week prior. 

I am weighing/measuring my foods. I have a nutritional scale, etc.  I have MFP settings for me as sedentary.  My calorie goal is 1,400 calories per day or less.

Net Calories
Last week, I averaged 576 net calories per day. 
Week prior, I averaged 797 net calories per day. 
So last week was a 27% decrease in net calories vs the week prior.

So: 
18% exercise increase
27% net calorie decrease
Shouldn't my weight be going down, instead of up? What am I missing? 

Other:
I'm 58, female, weigh about 178 pounds, am 5' 0" short. I marked my activity level as sedentary, as I usually am working on a laptop for 8-11 hours a day.

Replies

• helaurin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure this out.

I set myself as sedentary, and MFP set me at 1,400 calories. I think that's supposed to be what it takes for me to basically live without overt exercise.

So if I need/want to lose weight, at let's say 1-pound per week, I need to create a 500-calorie deficit on average per day, right?

So shouldn't I be trying to get my net calories to 900 or less per day on average? (1,400 to maintain, 500 to lose = 900)?

Looking at the most recently completed six days:

Target 1,400 calories (maintenance level)
    minus 26 calories (averaged 1,374 eaten per day, so that's a 26 calorie deficit)
    minus 602 calories exercised per day (based on Fitbit interacting with MFP)
    equals 771 net calories

or a 6-day deficit of 3,768 calories

So, in theory (barring sodium, time-of-month, etc.) - I should have seen a one-pound weight loss.

Instead, I gained 1.6 pounds....

If it's just a temporary water fluctuation, time of month, sodium... If I keep on this way, shouldn't I see additional weight loss, hopefully sooner, vs. later? side note - I'm doing a 6-month dietbet, and really want to hit the goals each month (which I think are reasonable).

The dietbet goals are:

Started May 4 at 187.6

June 4th goal: 182 lbs <--- met that goal
    July 4th goal: 176.3 lbs <--- getting worried about making this one given this past week
    Aug 4th goal: 172.3 lbs
    Sep 4th goal: 170.7 lbs
    Oct 4th goal: 168.8 lbs
    Nov 4th goal: 168.8 lbs (maintenance)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure this out.

I set myself as sedentary, and MFP set me at 1,400 calories. I think that's supposed to be what it takes for me to basically live without overt exercise.

So if I need/want to lose weight, at let's say 1-pound per week, I need to create a 500-calorie deficit on average per day, right?

So shouldn't I be trying to get my net calories to 900 or less per day on average? (1,400 to maintain, 500 to lose = 900)?

Looking at the most recently completed six days:

Target 1,400 calories (maintenance level)
    minus 26 calories (averaged 1,374 eaten per day, so that's a 26 calorie deficit)
    minus 602 calories exercised per day (based on Fitbit interacting with MFP)
    equals 771 net calories

or a 6-day deficit of 3,768 calories

So, in theory (barring sodium, time-of-month, etc.) - I should have seen a one-pound weight loss.

Instead, I gained 1.6 pounds....

If it's just a temporary water fluctuation, time of month, sodium... If I keep on this way, shouldn't I see additional weight loss, hopefully sooner, vs. later? side note - I'm doing a 6-month dietbet, and really want to hit the goals each month (which I think are reasonable).

Depends.

When you chose your settings, how much of a weight loss rate did you choose? Is the 1,400 calories at maintenance? Or did you choose 1 lb loss per week?

If you already chose a 1 lb per week rate of loss than that 1,400 calories has that built in for you. Eat at that level, plus any exercise calories you burn. So if you burn 250 calories exercising one day, you would eat 1,650 calories that day.

No matter what, you should NOT eat below 1,200 calories regardless of what math you think works out for your preferred rate of loss. The human body should NOT have less than that ever (1,200 min for women, 1,500 for men).
  • helaurin
    Options
    Ok, so my BMR is estimated at 1,416. Theory is that to lose 1 pound a week, I need to create a 500/day calorie deficit. If the Fitbit and MFP are correct, I've been creating a 602/day deficit simply through exercise, assuming that 1,416 is actually the correct maintenance level for me. Just frustrated.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal to 1 lb a week. Set your activity level before any exercise. Whatever calories it gives you eat. Log any exercise separate and eat back those calories. Please don't eat under 1200 calories a day. Your heart is a muscle and you need to fuel it.