Gaining muscles - women

Options
marti85w
marti85w Posts: 1 Member
Its been very difficult for me to get my legs lean. I can see some progress but I think it’s a bit too slow, any advice?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's totally normal. Many females carry more fat on their lower bodies and it can be one of the last places it comes off. So patience will be required. Make sure you get adequate protein and keep lifting, it can help to focus on the lower body to make sure to preserve muscle there as you lose fat.

If you get too low in weight and still aren't happy, building more muscle (either with recomp or bulking) in the lower body can help. I know it definitely made a difference for me.
  • amandap1222
    amandap1222 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem. I have always been thin and have been trying to build my legs for years. I still cannot see any real changes in my legs. I have been consistant with eating enough and never missing a workout for over a year. I am following a PHUL style upper lower split. Now I am wondering if I should just try doing something like 100 reps bw squats?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem. I have always been thin and have been trying to build my legs for years. I still cannot see any real changes in my legs. I have been consistant with eating enough and never missing a workout for over a year. I am following a PHUL style upper lower split. Now I am wondering if I should just try doing something like 100 reps bw squats?

How much weight have you gained? Are you getting stronger and progressing in your workouts? I am not very familiar with the soecifics of PHUL but I know it's a pretty good overall hypertrophy program. My legs aren't super jacked or anything but I have built then up compared to before especially the glutes over several years.
    What worked for me is working legs 3-4x per week, running several bulk cycles and being consistent.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    marti85w wrote: »
    Its been very difficult for me to get my legs lean. I can see some progress but I think it’s a bit too slow, any advice?

I’m the same. Upper body is lean and muscular. My legs have plenty more fat. But I think there is some muscle under there and they look more shapely after 3 years of consistent weight training.

How long have you been running phul?
  • amandap1222
    amandap1222 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently running phul for two years. I just took the last week off to rest and focus on my pelvic alignment. I have an anterior pelvic tilt and some issues with not being able to feel the right side of my lower body working lately. I also have Lyme Disease that went undiagnosed for over 10 years so that causes me problems too. I was having stomach issues for a long time so I stopped worrying about my weight bc I was just getting upset that I wasn't really gaining.