It's okay to have a hard day.

It's okay to want to celebrate a success the way you were raised -- by eating a whole pizza by yourself.

It's okay to be stressed because you worked super hard on something for someone you care about and it turned out to be wrong and useless.

It's okay to want to binge.

It's okay to compromise.

It's okay to take a little longer to get to your goal.

One hard day doesn't invalidate all of the hard work you've done just the same as one good day doesn't give you a year of success all at once.

It's okay. You're going to get through it.

Replies

• mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    I just said this to myself today. Between breakfast and lunch I ate under 500 calories. My allowance is currently 1880. So I had PLENTY to eat for dinner if I chose.
    Poor planning led to no clue what to make for dinner. And I was getting to the starving point.
    Well, that led to clam strips. Just the clam strips no fries. And even though I’m only 3.3 pounds away from my first mini goal, I feel I’ve done so well with eating.
    So just like you said, it’s ok to have a slip up. One day / meal isn’t going to destroy all the work you’ve done.
    I’m sure though it won’t get me closer to my mini goal. BUT tomorrow is back on track and planning.
    I’ve only had 3 bad days of not being prepared in the last 51 days lol. So I’d say that’s a win.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Amen to that.
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    We got this
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    All of those things are not okay with me. In my mind, If I make it okay.. the habit would never go away. Those things..or habits like them is what made me gain weight. Weight that takes a lot of work and time to get off. Keeping it off means getting rid of those habits. That's just how I see it. But it is all a personal choice.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    All of those things are not okay with me. In my mind, If I make it okay.. the habit would never go away. Those things..or habits like them is what made me gain weight. Weight that takes a lot of work and time to get off. Keeping it off means getting rid of those habits. That's just how I see it. But it is all a personal choice.

Out of curiosity what do you base this on?

My habits are reinforced with repetition. They are part of me now. Temporary disruptions or interruptions do not unravel all the work I have invested into making those changes. My plan this time was always to build a system that has some flexibility because every other plan I have ever had was too all or nothing for me to sustain.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

My habits are reinforced with repetition. They are part of me now. Temporary disruptions or interruptions do not unravel all the work I have invested into making those changes. My plan this time was always to build a system that has some flexibility because every other plan I have ever had was too all or nothing for me to sustain.
    I'm just basing it on what I do. I realize everyone has their own path. I'm not saying I eat perfectly all the time. I do not. But I never will eat a whole large pizza or binge eat. I may eat a fast food meal or stop dieting while on vacation. But. for ME.. losing my weight means losing any habit that would bring me back to total regain.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »

It's okay to want to celebrate a success the way you were raised -- by eating a whole pizza by yourself.

It's okay to want to binge.

Bolded the relevant parts of my post.
  • NovusDies

I'm just basing it on what I do. I realize everyone has their own path. I'm not saying I eat perfectly all the time. I do not. But I never will eat a whole large pizza or binge eat. I may eat a fast food meal or stop dieting while on vacation. But. for ME.. losing my weight means losing any habit that would bring me back to total regain.

I almost always eat the whole pizza but it fits in my calories. I am never sure what the definition of binge eating is for a non disordered person. I have had overfeeds. One of them quite recently and I did it to help offset the mistake I made on eating a couple of weeks ago that tanked my energy.

I am not trying to talk you into or out of anything I was just curious as to why you felt the way you do.

The one thing I must do each and every day is "show up." That is what separates me from the person I was. I always have a plan for the day. That plan may be for a vacation day and it may be extremely generous on food with minimal rules but there are rules so there is a plan. If I screw up completely I must "show up" the next day to execute that day's plan. I never take a day off. There is always some degree of mindful decision making happening or ownership/accountability if it does not. I am, of course, quick to forgive mistakes and I treat them as a learning resource.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Just curious, how many calories do you have that a whole pizza fits in them? If by “whole pizza” you mean a tiny little personal sized pizza that a normal person would order for lunch, then sure. But I used to eat an entire large pizza with stuffed crust by myself, and I didn’t have that many calories in my day the day I ran a half marathon. Not gonna do that again, thanks, should never have done it in the first place!
  • Em05us
    Em05us Posts: 117 Member
    I love this!! Love your mindset and I completely understand what your saying!!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    For anyone needing numbers proof...

My first year of weight loss amounted to just over 150 pounds of loss.

However, it wasn't 365 continuous days of losing weight. It was right about 10 1/2 months. For about 48 mostly nonconsecutive days I was either eating maintenance calories or in some cases above maintenance. Mixed into that 6 weeks was holidays, vacations, breaks, some really bad days, and a couple of just for fun days.

Knowing when to take my foot off the gas is among the reasons I lost over 150 pounds my first year. It is true I could have lost more weight if I had been more strict but being strict is how I always failed in the past.

Know your numbers and learn that it is okay to eat maintenance calories some days or choose to have slightly less deficit on some days. Sometimes I take a half deficit days when I need a few more calories for some reason. It is a good compromise between not losing any and not losing the full amount.

It is what you do most days that matters.

Hope you don't mind, but I've copied your posts into my weight loss diary to refer back to.
    There is an awful lot of sense in your words which may just help me crack the final piece of my puzzle.
  • NovusDies
    Just curious, how many calories do you have that a whole pizza fits in them? If by “whole pizza” you mean a tiny little personal sized pizza that a normal person would order for lunch, then sure. But I used to eat an entire large pizza with stuffed crust by myself, and I didn’t have that many calories in my day the day I ran a half marathon. Not gonna do that again, thanks, should never have done it in the first place!

I eat a small or medium sized thin crust pizza. It normally comes out to 900-1300 calories. I have done it at different levels of calories 3 or 4 times a month usually on Friday. When I was around 1650 I had to bank calories some weeks. Now that my activity level is much higher it is much easier. It also helps that I don't eat breakfast typically.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    We derail our success by not being kinder to ourselves for sure. The world won't end for one day of bad eating.
  • NovusDies
    CM_73 wrote: »
    For anyone needing numbers proof...

My first year of weight loss amounted to just over 150 pounds of loss.

However, it wasn't 365 continuous days of losing weight. It was right about 10 1/2 months. For about 48 mostly nonconsecutive days I was either eating maintenance calories or in some cases above maintenance. Mixed into that 6 weeks was holidays, vacations, breaks, some really bad days, and a couple of just for fun days.

Knowing when to take my foot off the gas is among the reasons I lost over 150 pounds my first year. It is true I could have lost more weight if I had been more strict but being strict is how I always failed in the past.

Know your numbers and learn that it is okay to eat maintenance calories some days or choose to have slightly less deficit on some days. Sometimes I take a half deficit days when I need a few more calories for some reason. It is a good compromise between not losing any and not losing the full amount.

It is what you do most days that matters.

Hope you don't mind, but I've copied your posts into my weight loss diary to refer back to.
    There is an awful lot of sense in your words which may just help me crack the final piece of my puzzle.

@CM_73

I am pleased you have found something worth considering. I am afraid though that your puzzle is not and should not be viewed as finished anytime soon. I have been doing this for over 2 years and I am still learning new things about myself. The puzzle doesn't need to be perfect though. It just needs to be good enough. I think it is better that way. It keeps me open to evaluating the hits and misses for something to learn instead of judging myself for them.

If you have 75 or more pounds to lose or you originally started with that much you are welcome to join my MFP Larger Losers Group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers