Honestly when logging food

cheeky300
cheeky300 Posts: 22 Member
Who is dishonest with tracking , odd chocolate, bit of cheese that should have gone in the kids sandwich, and is never listed in your food diary ?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2020
    My diary is 100% dishonest :)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Eh, I used to be more dishonest because I was ashamed (still am sometimes), but I realize now that it wasn't benefiting me to not be truthful.

So now I log with I'd say bout 90 to 95% accuracy, right down to tiny condiment package and that one bit of candy I had. I think it's helping out.

It is more work though, which kinda sucks.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    Eh, I used to be more dishonest because I was ashamed (still am sometimes), but I realize now that it wasn't benefiting me to not be truthful.

So now I log with I'd say bout 90 to 95% accuracy, right down to tiny condiment package and that one bit of candy I had. I think it's helping out.

It is more work though, which kinda sucks.

This has stopped me many of times because I didnt feel like logging it😂

But I too found the more honest the more the weight comes off or at least I know why it didnt 🙄
  • cheeky300
    cheeky300 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks, will try to log everything even at the weekends and see what happens.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    The only thing I don't log is my stupid gummy vitamins. The cals add up and I am in denial.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    What would be the reason to lie to yourself? If you are looking to build data and track trends in weight loss you should track everything. If not you are using MFP as a janky FB or IG.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    What would be the reason to lie to yourself? If you are looking to build data and track trends in weight loss you should track everything. If not you are using MFP as a janky FB or IG.

People use MFP for many reasons just because I don't use my food diary doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to fitness and helping people :)
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    A night of wine is the worst logging ever.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    If your goal is to have accurate data from which you can make decisions on your weight-management plan, being "dishonest" with logging makes no sense! Of course, perfect accuracy in food logging is impossible, even when you use a food scale as much as possible and are really careful in choosing MFP entries in the database for your food diary. But the only way to get good data and be able to create a good plan for yourself is by being as honest as possible with your food diary. This way, you have a good estimate of your calories-in, and can make adjustments if your weight-loss or weight-gain is not going at the rate you expect.

I generally try to put everything in that has calories. I create recipes for my batch-meals in the recipe builder, I weigh out and pre-package my breakfasts and snacks for weekdays, I weigh out ingredients when cooking dinner or my weekend meals. I don't log black coffee because it has no calories, I might not log a super short spray of cooking oil or a single jelly bean or spices or diet drinks, because the calories are extremely negligible. But these are conscious choices I've made because I know that along the line, some of my other calorie inputs are slightly off, so a single jelly bean is likely to be cancelled out by some other small inaccuracy.

I don't keep any food out of my diary in the name of making the diary look good and healthy. That's what I feel like I'm reading into your OP (I could be wrong!) But if you are feeling guilty about eating a food, it's even MORE important to put it in your diary! It's healthy to try to overcome the food-guilt by practicing facing the foods that traditionally make you guilty, and trying to see them as just food (no value judgment).
  • GymGoddessGoals
    sardelsa wrote: »

People use MFP for many reasons just because I don't use my food diary doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to fitness and helping people :)

I agree, not everyone uses MFP for weight loss or "janky FB or IG".
  • J_NY_Z
    Have you ever read your response to a post and see that it may be quite dumb? I'm humbled. @GymGoddessGoals and @sardelsa are correct. I shall close my mouth now.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Have you ever read your response to a post and see that it may be quite dumb? I'm humbled. @GymGoddessGoals and @sardelsa are correct. I shall close my mouth now.

I think your point was valid. Yes, not everyone uses the food log on MFP, or is looking to lose weight, but if you ARE logging your food, why would you lie about it?
  • GymGoddessGoals

Eh, it was a gentle ribbing for the whole "If not you are using MFP as a janky FB or IG"; which actually made me laugh. Hugs?
  • J_NY_Z

Eh, it was a gentle ribbing for the whole "If not you are using MFP as a janky FB or IG"; which actually made me laugh. Hugs?

With a mask of course, deal.
  • mbathlete1
    mbathlete1 Posts: 3 Member
    Try to log everything water and green tea I don’t bother with. Anything which may be low in calories depending on how insignificant it may seem I could leave it especially if I know I’m in the green!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    If I eat it, I log it.

If I'm over, I'm over. If I'm under, I'm under.

I don't beat myself up over it. Accept it and move on.

Had I not skipped a week once, I would have been logging for over a decade.
  • Dancer0515
    Dancer0515 Posts: 69 Member
    I first logged how I ate before being conscientious about it.. then I realized how bad I was eating!?!?! So now I log 100% honest so I can keep myself accountable. When I see I did poorly it makes me push myself harder.
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    I’m dishonest. Sometimes I don’t feel like scanning it and counting the odds and ends that I eat. Especially if I use a few drops of a sauce... I’m not measuring and counting that! Or if I take a tiny piece of candy with a large serving size (like eating 5 sour patch kids when the serving size is 110 cals for 15). This is usually only at the end of my day though.
    Sometimes it’s because I’m embarrassed about what I eat. I’m like this even in public at parties. I’m more likely to get a small plate of something and eat it in front of people, but continue to grab other things eat them in a more discrete location where people can’t see me. =\
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I would say that I'm 99% honest about including everything that I have eaten. However that's not necessarily accurate. Pretty much every item I bar scan needs a correction factor. I assume that the bar code data is old and the package size has changed, or ingredients are different. The hardest thing is estimating an item when no data is available. Basically, I guess.