Divorce stress and diet

Options
I could use some friends who have been through divorce. I am a stress eater so it has been hard for me to maintain my weight loss. I Also struggle with binge eating. Since I’m am so confused about my marriage and how to handle the stress of starting a new life, I just want to stuff myself with cake to feel better.

Replies

• mishaelamirkhan262
    mishaelamirkhan262 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going through a divorce myself at the moment. Things are slower because of quarantine. I am a stess eater but this time Ive decided to shed the pounds before the next time I see him. Best of luck to you and you can add me if you like
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry you are going through this stressful experience. I’m in the same boat. He let me know we’re done mid Feb, got his things March 2nd. I’m floored because I just don’t know what I could have done to prevent this. So I had some bad weeks trying to make sense of it. During a pandemic. Now 3 good weeks, concentrating on self-care and my health. Friend me if you like - we can support each other.
  • tacosandbeerthatiswhyimhere
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging words. This is the scariest and most stressful thing I have ever done. It is really hard to stay strong through this.
  • junebug_1977
    junebug_1977 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be a stressful time, but the term 'divorce diet' exists because a lot of people take advantage of this time to get healthy and focus on marketing themselves (for lack of a better way to say it). When I was going through my divorce I made myself walk at minimum 2 miles a day and I tracked everything I ate to make sure I stayed under calorie goals. It wasn't just to lose weight- it really helped clear my mind. My weak spot is pizza, so I still had pizza on Friday nights. I think it's key not to deprive yourself of the foods you love with no exceptions. Just make it a goal and a way to reward yourself in a structured way. If you tell yourself you can't have cake, it's going to backfire and then you can get in a tailspin of, "well, I already blew it so I am going to just have cake again tomorrow". Don't do that- make it a once a week reward.
    While it probably does feel bleak right now, in my 43 years my experience has been overwhelmingly that things really do tend to work out for the best. I've been re-married now for 12 years and I have an awesome husband who I've had 2 more kiddos with. I give no thought to my previous husband or marriage, even though at the time it felt very painful. Keep your thoughts positive, and focus on you :)
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I've been divorced twice in my long life, and the thought of my first divorce still brings me pain, even though it's almost 50 years in the past. For me, breaking through the barrage of sad and bitter thoughts to concentrate on positive changes was the key to a better life. Wishing you all the best.
  • sdr2015
    sdr2015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am currently separated from my wife, we were going to counseling until I found out she was messing around on me. I am trying to stay positive about things. I am definitely more active now. My son and are closer than we ever have.