How do you guys make sure you're gaining an appropriate amount of muscle during a bulk?

Options
In the past I have made the mistake of watching my weight go up and thought all was well but at the end it was definitely a disproportionate amount of fat. Looking back the weight gain was probably at a bit too quick a pace - but I still don't think I gained the muscle I should have considering the weight I did gain.

Curious to see what other people track / keep an eye on to make sure the weight gain includes some muscle and not just fat.

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    It’s not a perfect metric because you can get stronger without adding muscle - but my lift numbers. If I’m adding weight to the scale I also expect my lifts to improve measurably. This has worked for me but YMMV.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's the pace I'm adding weight (I am female so I like to stay under 0.5lb per week or so), lifting progress, the mirror, progress photos, measurements, how clothes fit too.

But basically if I still look pretty good body composition-wise and I'm mostly adding in the places I want, despite being up 10-15lbs, I know I'm doing well.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I just monitor my weight trend. Pretty much try to be a put about .3kg/week on average.

Plenty of evidence supporting that with the sufficient volume, appropriate average intensity, and optimal protien/EAAs that hypertrophy can be had quite nicely relative to the individual's response to training.

Patience, calories, and appropriate training.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If it's hypertrophy, your strength and actual muscle size SHOULD increase. What I would look at is how much definition you're holding. If you "blur out" really quick, then you're likely gaining a lot of fat. If the circumference and size seem to be increasing and you still can see some definition, that can be an indication. Now understand that unless you're getting some "enhancement" going on, muscle gain still take quite a bit of time. When someone is telling you they are gaining 10lbs of muscle a month, disregard their method. For the average male, if you're gaining 5lbs of muscle a year, that's about average with a moderate calorie surplus and a good training program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kjratliff55
    kjratliff55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Increase your daily Calorie intake by 250-500 over your maintenance calorie needs. Try to make most of the Calorie increase Protein. Try to hit a daily Protein Macro of at least 150. Consistency is the key, don't hop from workout program to workout program.....stick with a program at least 12 weeks. Don't miss a workout, give yourself time to build.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Increase your daily Calorie intake by 250-500 over your maintenance calorie needs. Try to make most of the Calorie increase Protein. Try to hit a daily Protein Macro of at least 150. Consistency is the key, don't hop from workout program to workout program.....stick with a program at least 12 weeks. Don't miss a workout, give yourself time to build.

Protein should be 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Or .8 grams of body weight if LBM is not known. Beyond that there is a diminishing rate of return for benefits. When bulking, most people who are already lifting are hitting their protein target. So, the increase comes from crabs, which is protein sparing.

As I see it, there are 2 inaccuracies in your post. The first is for the bulk increase to be mostly protein, unnecessary if one is already hitting their protein targets. Second, is the 150 gram thing for protein. That number will be individual for each person. Honestly, these kind of generic proscriptions are not helpful.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider taking "before and after" measurements as well.