Advice please

Options
Hi all, I think I’m beginning to feel the onset of some diet fatigue. I’m a serial yoyo dieter but since starting 7 weeks ago, I really want this to last and be the change to my lifestyle I should’ve done a long time ago.

I’m a 5’6 female, I currently weight 215 pounds. I’m breastfeeding my baby boy (8 months)- he’s my biggest motivator, I don’t want him to learn my poor habits and rubbish relationship with food.

I started the journey at 243lb. Ideally and realistically my goal would be 154lb.

I’ve been increasing my steps and started cycling. I aim to eat around 1600 calories a day currently based on the Scooby quick calorie calculator (I don’t have access to anything that’d tell me my bf% so cant do the accurate calculator currently).

Most of the time I’m happy meeting my targets but the last couple of days I’ve felt a bit deflated and feel hungrier than normal. I had a treat meal of pizza and felt guilty afterwards so the following day I ate 1200 calories to try and compensate. Not sure if that was the right thing to do..

I guess I just want some advice from you knowledgeable people really. I saw the fat2fit calculator which said to eat around 1800 calories as that would be my goal weight TDEE.

I do weigh myself daily and I’m content with my weigh loss and trend. I’m wondering if I should get into the mindset of a slower loss through a less aggressive deficit, but then I think I’m so big I can afford to lose quickly... not sure I’m rambling at this point!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Deleted: Accidentally double-posted

• Svhmaddison
    Svhmaddison Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also my diary won’t be insightful as I use Fitbit food diary since treating myself around a month ago.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Many people find that restricting too much following a higher calorie day leads to the kind of thing that you're describing - it's been referred to as a "binge and restrict" cycle. At this point, it might be worth taking a few days where you eat at your goal to maintain just to get over the hump. At the very least I'd make sure I was eating to my goal and not doing additional restriction on top of that.

I'm not as familiar with the Scooby calculator -- is it taking your increased activity into account? Do you know how much of a deficit 1,600 is for you?

Am I right that you've gone from 243 to 215 in seven weeks? Is that an average of four pounds a week (which is super-aggressive!) or did you lose at lot at the beginning and it has since evened out?

@janejellyroll - Yes.
  • Svhmaddison
    Options
    I’m getting to grips with actually writing on here so apologies I don’t know how to reply individually yet 😂

I lost the weight quite quickly initially, I was literally stuffing my face constantly prior to starting on all the wrong types of foods, so I think a lot of the initial loss was probably water weight! The Scooby calculator was one id seen recommended on here so thought I’d give it a go, it was based on the 25% reduction of TDEE (which I’m since learning is too aggressive).

The weight loss has since averaged out to 2 pound a week which I’m happy with but only if it’s going to be sustainable which it doesn’t feel currently, so I’m thinking it’s time to aim for maybe 1.5-1 pound per week?

I think I’m at a point where I’ve read loads to try keep myself motivated but I feel like I’ve read so much I now feel clueless! Sorry if I sound silly. Maybe I should think about eating the more sustainable 1800 (something like that) figure from fat2fit, I believe that figure is also the TDEE for my goal weight so something I need to learn to achieve for the long term anyways when I’m eventually (hopefully) at the point where I need to maintain.

Thanks so much for all the replies so far!
  • Svhmaddison
    Options
    Forgot to add! As for breastfeeding, I wasn’t sure I had to account for extra calories for this as baby is also eating solids now and I didn’t know if my body needed the extra calories because I’m large. Again sorry I sound so dim, I’m genuinely not clued up in this area I tend to learn from these sorts of forums.

I had spoke with my doctor about planning to lose weight and was quoted the standard 1400 calorie goal that the NHS weight loss plan prescribes (I’m from the UK).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What about joining Weight Watchers? A lot of health insurances will pay for it and if you follow it it's guaranteed to work.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've tried the over-today-under-tomorrow trick and it only lasts just so long and leads to needing to give up and start over frequently. Really, unless you're one of those folks following a true high-day/low-day combo, it just leads to trying too hard to meet calorie numbers exactly. What we are trying to do is teach ourselves to eat in a way that results in our weighing an appropriate amount, however you define that, long term. I had a carbohydate/fat mini-binge last night -- a post-diary extravaganza of eating the few remaining cookies in the house and un-measured amounts of roast nuts -- in other words, a version of the kind of post-supper snacking I've done all my life. I'm trying to learn from this and apply what I've learned. I've learned that a carb-heavy/sweet dessert at supper results in ravenous snacking through the evening. I know this about me. I'm trying to make a habit of using that knowledge to keep my snarfing food under control. Last night has come and gone. It will delay my weight loss journey by a day or two but I can't undo it. I can only learn to prevent its happening with reckless abandon. I must develop a different set of habits for dessert after supper, habits that don't lead to post-diary over-snacking.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I know everyone is different. But I am the same height as you and currently 136 lb. I can maintain at 2000-2100 with my desk job. I suspect your tdee would be higher than 1800. How much do you lose per week on average (not counting first 3 weeks) eating 1600 calories? Remember that the Scooby calculator doesn't have the option for breastfeeding (i use the same calculator).

And when i was breastfeeding an 8 month old thats at least 300 calories more a day. Assuming you don't supplement with formula and baby is already eating decently on solids. More if baby isn't big on solids yet. Up to about 450 a day if baby is 100% breastfed.

While breastfeeding, it isnt advised to eat less than 1800 calories a day (La Leche League), the milk needs the nutrition (otherwise it could be leeching too many vitamins and minerals out of your blood/bones you need for yourself - as long as your supply didn't drop dont worry, no harm to babe for the short while). I suggest bumping up to at least that level to start, if not higher. The low calorie goal combined with breastfeeding is probably why you are feeling a bit run down from it. That and you have an 8 month old and thats not easy either. That 1800 calories would apply to women shorter than you as well, so thats why I say even going higher than 1800 might be an option for you. But you could start with 1800 and see how that goes too. The only thing is remember this then accounts for your calorie burn from breastfeeding. You didnt mention if you log nursing as exercise and eat those calories back or not. I assumed you have not been adding them and eating back the calories.

Possibly related... I always have a problem with feeling hungry after pizza. There isn't enough protein in it for me to feel full from it unless I eat a lot. Are you getting enough protein, fat and fibre in your diet, generally? These things help one feel full.