Brown rice question

Options
I can't cook rice. No matter what I either burn it, undercook it, or wreck a pan. I can buy frozen brown rice, but that is really expensive(for me). Does anyone know if INSTANT brown rice is as good, or even close enough health wise?

The only thing that is keeping me on my diet is the ability to add 1/2 cup cooked noodles, or brown rice to stir fry(s).

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I like instant brown and white rice. I like the taste of both, and both can be worked into my calorie goals.

And, since you seem to cook a lot of rice consider a rice cooker.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    wrecked 2 rice cookers already
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The boil-in-a-bag kind I think tastes better than the microwave kind, and I think it's less expensive.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I have used both the boil-in-bag and microwave and the bags are MUCH better and more consistent (both brown and white).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Foolproof Brown Rice Cooking:

Fill a 3 Quart or larger saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Measure out 3-5 servings of dry brown rice. When the water is at a rolling boil, add the rice.

Keep the water at a low boil, on med to med-high uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Drain the water and leave the rice in the pan with a lid on (NOT over the heat) for ten minutes. It's now ready to serve.

Perfect every time. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Or get a multi pot. Easiest brown rice!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you can't figure out how to cook rice buy an electric rice cooker or instant pot that has a rice cooking setting.

The method I used works for the stove stop or an electric cooker. Just clean the rice til the water runs clear and put enough water in the pot to just cover your knuckles w/your hand place flat on top of the rice.

I've got a nearly 40 yr old electric cooker that use to cook rice but do cook rice on the stove top from time to time. You don't have to watch the pot w/an electric cooker but you do have to keep an eye on a stove top pot.

For the stove top, when the water entirely evaporates and little bubbles from on top of the rice, it's DONE! Any further cooking will just cause the rice to burn.

Doesn't matter if it's white, brown or wild rice -- and I've got all of them in stock -- the procedure is the same.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options

Fill a 3 Quart or larger saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Measure out 3-5 servings of dry brown rice. When the water is at a rolling boil, add the rice.

Drain the water and leave the rice in the pan with a lid on (NOT over the heat) for ten minutes. It's now ready to serve.

I'll give that a try. So kind of treat it like noodles?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    In case you're a visual learner. Step-by-step, three different ways...

https://youtu.be/fOLM11qZqxk
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    "Success" Brown rice. It's parboiled. Comes in a perforated plastic boil-in bag. Not as many of the nutrients as normal brown rice, but hey, if you're burning rice, this will be better, LOL. Just follow directions.

We try and keep a box on hand (family-sized packages) for quickie dinners. We keep and use a supply of regular uncooked rice for most purposes.

Some kinds of short-cook other brands rice is also parboiled, therefore easier to cook.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I cook rice in the microwave using a microwave rice cooker - perfect every time.

Google "Sistema Microwave Rice Cooker".

• BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    John772016 wrote: »

If you boil noodles for 30 minutes, I'm pretty sure an Italian will ring your doorbell and slap you when you answer..... 😉

yeah I should've stated that better
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

If you boil noodles for 30 minutes, I'm pretty sure an Italian will ring your doorbell and slap you when you answer..... 😉

Actually, I think you might be the target for calling pasta "noodles". 😂

(I presume this is what you mean, based on the Italian reference)
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would just learn how to cook rice. It is so inexpensive. There are tricks on line. I prefer to soak my rice for an hour, drain the water, add the recommended water amount and then follow the recommendations on the package.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The "minute rice" microwavable cups are fine.

I do my rice in the IP or my electric steamer. Brown rice use a 1:1 ratio and IP for 15 minutes with 5 NPR and then QR. For the steamer I think it takes about 45 mins. Both are easy clean-up and hands off.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Rice can be well cooked if you follow the recipe, but bring it to a rolling boil whilst standing next to it and then cover and turn it off and come back in 20 minutes.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Actually, I think you might be the target for calling pasta "noodles". 😂

(I presume this is what you mean, based on the Italian reference)

Lol 😀, that is very true!
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 117 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

No worries @BigTandthesquatters , just playing. Enjoy the weekend!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I only cook rice -- both brown and white -- in the oven. It's fool proof! Start with Alton Brown's oven brown rice. It never scorches or boils dry. It doesn't boil over. All you do is throw it in the oven and ignore it until it's done. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe-1944197