Exercising with a shoulder issue?

Options
2»

Replies

• TX375
    TX375 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery in 2017 (bone spurs, torn labrum, bicep tendon rupture). I'm glad that I had it done, but the rehab was difficult. That said, three years on I feel great and the post op PT was critical. As for non-surgical treatment, there is generally a diminishing benefit with subsequent steroid injections into the joint, and spurs themselves can cause damage to the soft tissue in the joint. (That is more than likely what caused my injuries to the labrum and tendon, as there wasn't any event I could point to where I felt like I had injured my shoulder.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    hablondi wrote: »
    Something that wouldn't hurt you (and may help you) is Vitamin K2 (not to be confused with Vitamin K). Both bone spurs and to a certain extent adhesive capsulitis can be formed from excess calcium where it doesn't belong. Calcification of arteries and even soft tissues occurs when you're eating a lot of dairy and not getting enough Vitamin K2 in your diet and nearly no one does in the US.

K2 simply tells your body to store calcium inside the bone, not in the arteries, outside the bones or in the soft tissues of the body. If you don't like the idea of supplements, eat a lot more Gouda Cheese, it's naturally rich in Vitamin K2. So are a few grassfed butters but not a lot of other sources of it, unless you like things like "headcheese". It's one of the few supplements that I take regularly. Taking calcium supplements without D, magnesium and especially K2 is a health recipe for disaster IMHO, yet hardly anyone talks about or knows about K2. I'm starting to see it added in automatically to really high end bone supplements by the top quality manufacturers.

I've also had tremendous success with hanging therapy for frozen shoulder. It is just what it sounds like. Gently hanging from your shoulder. Assisted at first and later on with your body weight. I had a rotator cuff tear, bad insurance and a frozen shoulder and tried this and was amazed at the rapid progess and pain reduction. There's a book on it by a former orthopedic surgeon. I also know many, many athletes that have done this same thing and have had tremendous success as well.

Thank you for all of your insight! I am not sure I could handle the hanging therapy right now. It is extremely painful to lift my arm above my head, but I will definitely look into the K2 since the doctor said that I have a calcium deposit.

You could get something like this to help with range of motion. My PT had same type of thing and it was one of the first steps in my rehab.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Pulley-Physical-Therapy-Exerciser/dp/B000BF70RA/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1XQ0AH2KB4WFF&dchild=1&keywords=shoulder+pulley&qid=1591384870&sprefix=shoulder+p,aps,213&sr=8-15

5r50vsyfkjib.png

That is awesome. Exactly the same kind of concept I was talking about. Hurts like heck at first but works fantastic.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I had my rotator cuff repaired in October. I was lucky to have good muscle tone so I was able to ignore it until it was a significant tear, I might be stubborn and have a high pain tolerance

To get my range of motion back I used a stick to help lift my arm. I'd get an increase every two days or so. But it basically did what the pulley thing above would do. Always remember to keep your shoulder down though and don't hike it up to get more range

Using a ball on the ground to support it while you stretch it a bit too helps. I'm trying to remember now what I did.

I would recommend seeing a physio therapist and get an MRI. I was being treated for an impingement for 6 months before I had an ultrasound then another 6 months to the MRI. Get it diagnosed properly right away