Struggling- weightloss is too slow

Options
So I’ve been in a deficit since March 2nd until 17th May so roughly 11 weeks. I managed to lose 5 lbs but it’s been mentally very very tough. I find it very restrictive to be in the same deficit every day. I guess I like variety and routine. I’ve been maintaining for the few weeks and then I injured my shoulder. I guess I find the slow weight loss too slow. I honestly don’t even look different! I feel like my body looks the same. I’ve seen other women get faster results in the same amount of time. I’ve been at this for 11 weeks and it’s been extremely slow. I’m not just talking about the scale- I’m talking about fatloss too. I feel like bingeing because I’ve hardly seen any results.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? What is your current weight, height, and age? Are you using a food scale and logging everything that you eat?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    How much weight are you trying to lose? What is your current weight, height, and age? Are you using a food scale and logging everything that you eat?

I’m trying to lose 20-24 lbs. I’m currently 154lbs so goal weight is 130-134 lbs. I’m 26, F and 5’ 4”. I’m using a food scale and some days I’ve been in a bigger deficit too such as 300-400 calories. I’m trying to lose weight slowly in order to avoid binge eating and yo-yo dieting (like in the past) but the funny thing is losing weight this slow is making me more frustrated and binge eat. I’m not looking for big results but this feels like torture...
    should I go into a bigger deficit?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Also like to add I do often eat other family members food so I don’t know what’s in there and I guesstimate. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What rate of loss are you attempting? I have found it much easier from a psychological standpoint to set my rate of loss slower & have more flexibility while still consistently falling below the limit than to really push myself to a lower limit that feels more restrictive. In the end it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Slow progress is fine - it’s still progress.

One thing you could try that I’ve had success with in the past is to bank a deficit (beyond the one built into MFP) then have a set day where I can break the limit so long as I stay below the weekly deficit. It’s a good tool that allows you to accommodate things like holidays or meals out without feeling like you’ve fallen off the wagon.

Also, I definitely agree with PP; weighing your foods to ensure you are logging accurately is crucial! Relying on packaged servings or using liquid measuring tools (like measuring cups) for solids can really throw things off & have you at less of a deficit than you think.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating per day?

If you don't like being in the same deficit every day (I personally don't either) then you can experiment with varying calorie amounts on different days to switch it up. I like to do two very low days (on my non-lifting days), three medium and two high. You don't have to vary them quite that much but maybe starting with two lower days and see how that goes. You could also calorie bank to save calories for the weekend which can help switch it up.

You mention wanting to increase your deficit. Honestly it's a tough spot because for some people faster results can be motivating, but at the same time if you are already tired of being in a deficit then that could make things even worse! You might have to experiment to see what can work for you. With 20 or so lbs to lose you have a bit more wiggle room, but it all depends if you can handle it or not.

You might want to start to think about taking a diet break for 1-2 weeks soon if you are feeling that burnt out, restrictive and feeling like binging. I know it seems frustrating to stop weight loss for that amount of time and you think you will get even more behind, but it can really help you reset your body and mind then you will be refreshed for your deficit again.

You also say you feel like you are looking the same. Sometimes this is normal since you might be losing fat in places you aren't aware of or that you aren't noticing. Are you lifting or doing some type of resistance training? Getting enough protein? That will be important for muscle retention and definition as you get closer to goal.

Last thing.. I know it's hard but try not to compare your journey to anyone else. You have to remember everyone loses differently, has different genetics, also lighting, time of day, all things that can affect people's progress if you are looking just at photos. I happen to lose quickly in my stomach so my progress looks more noticeable, but I carry fat on my legs so progress there isn't as dramatic and most people tend not to see that as much in a photo.

Hey thanks for the detailed response! My calories vary but on my exercise days I eat 2100-2300 calories. Again- it varies. I estimate that I burn 350-400 calories per hour of exercise. I also try and do 10000 steps per day too. I definitely do resistance training with my dumbbells at home. I do yoga and Pilates too. Sometimes I do Fitness Blender ‘HIIT’ workouts for some cardio. I aim for 5 days a week of exercise. I recently haven’t been exercising due to shoulder injury and family celebrations. I’m actually in maintenance right now. I find it easier to be in a deficit on my exercise days simply because I have more food. On my rest days I have 1600 calories to eat because I’m still lightly active. But I do struggle to stay under 1600. I am also aiming to have 120g of protein but I always fall short and reach 100g instead. Maybe I will try and vary my deficit and go for 500 calorie deficit on my rest days and 350 calorie deficit on exercise days. I do find results more motivating! I would rather go hard for 4 weeks- take a break for 1 week and then repeat. A small deficit day in day out seems depressing.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To me, 2300 calories sounds like it may be a little high based on your stats and that you could be overestimating your exercise and/or food, but you know your body best and since you are losing I would only try dropping 100 cal or so to start. With that said, you also don’t have a ton of weight to lose so your loss should be slow so if you are in a small deficit just have patience and keep it up! We are rooting for you
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Change nothing but your mind. Lost 5 lbs of 22 lbs? It’s working. A high level of fitness close to goal is going to be slow. Just how it is.

And what logical alternative is there? Eat less? That’s the only way to lose faster. You say you have a difficult time now. Are you more likely to stick with a plan for less?

Maybe look a how you fuel your workouts. I’ve had episodes where I’ve crashed and gone from the gym to the nearest fast food. Pay attention to what you’re eating and when on workout days.

Maybe look at your food choices. Things got easier for me when I started adding volume for the same calories. It can be done.

Give yourself a break. What you’re trying to do isn’t easy. It can be done but it does take time. Trust me on this, if you make it to goal and maintain there you’ll soon forget how long it took. Good luck.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    eryn0x wrote: »
    To me, 2300 calories sounds like it may be a little high based on your stats and that you could be overestimating your exercise and/or food, but you know your body best and since you are losing I would only try dropping 100 cal or so to start. With that said, you also don’t have a ton of weight to lose so your loss should be slow so if you are in a small deficit just have patience and keep it up! We are rooting for you

Yeah I feel like I’m eating too much too! I’m just going to drop my intake by 100 calories. I understand the last 10 lbs being slow but not if I have 24 lbs left. Or more. I might go lower than 130lbs since I’m 5’ 4”.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Change nothing but your mind. Lost 5 lbs of 22 lbs? It’s working. A high level of fitness close to goal is going to be slow. Just how it is.

And what logical alternative is there? Eat less? That’s the only way to lose faster. You say you have a difficult time now. Are you more likely to stick with a plan for less?

Maybe look a how you fuel your workouts. I’ve had episodes where I’ve crashed and gone from the gym to the nearest fast food. Pay attention to what you’re eating and when on workout days.

Maybe look at your food choices. Things got easier for me when I started adding volume for the same calories. It can be done.

Give yourself a break. What you’re trying to do isn’t easy. It can be done but it does take time. Trust me on this, if you make it to goal and maintain there you’ll soon forget how long it took. Good luck.

But I’ve already tried a smaller deficit each day and I feel miserable. I feel that it’s not for me and Sardelsa agreed with that too. I like seeing results. I don’t mind maintenance either. So I’m gonna try a bigger deficit and tighten up my logging.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating per day?

If you don't like being in the same deficit every day (I personally don't either) then you can experiment with varying calorie amounts on different days to switch it up. I like to do two very low days (on my non-lifting days), three medium and two high. You don't have to vary them quite that much but maybe starting with two lower days and see how that goes. You could also calorie bank to save calories for the weekend which can help switch it up.

You mention wanting to increase your deficit. Honestly it's a tough spot because for some people faster results can be motivating, but at the same time if you are already tired of being in a deficit then that could make things even worse! You might have to experiment to see what can work for you. With 20 or so lbs to lose you have a bit more wiggle room, but it all depends if you can handle it or not.

You might want to start to think about taking a diet break for 1-2 weeks soon if you are feeling that burnt out, restrictive and feeling like binging. I know it seems frustrating to stop weight loss for that amount of time and you think you will get even more behind, but it can really help you reset your body and mind then you will be refreshed for your deficit again.

You also say you feel like you are looking the same. Sometimes this is normal since you might be losing fat in places you aren't aware of or that you aren't noticing. Are you lifting or doing some type of resistance training? Getting enough protein? That will be important for muscle retention and definition as you get closer to goal.

Last thing.. I know it's hard but try not to compare your journey to anyone else. You have to remember everyone loses differently, has different genetics, also lighting, time of day, all things that can affect people's progress if you are looking just at photos. I happen to lose quickly in my stomach so my progress looks more noticeable, but I carry fat on my legs so progress there isn't as dramatic and most people tend not to see that as much in a photo.

Hey thanks for the detailed response! My calories vary but on my exercise days I eat 2100-2300 calories. Again- it varies. I estimate that I burn 350-400 calories per hour of exercise. I also try and do 10000 steps per day too. I definitely do resistance training with my dumbbells at home. I do yoga and Pilates too. Sometimes I do Fitness Blender ‘HIIT’ workouts for some cardio. I aim for 5 days a week of exercise. I recently haven’t been exercising due to shoulder injury and family celebrations. I’m actually in maintenance right now. I find it easier to be in a deficit on my exercise days simply because I have more food. On my rest days I have 1600 calories to eat because I’m still lightly active. But I do struggle to stay under 1600. I am also aiming to have 120g of protein but I always fall short and reach 100g instead. Maybe I will try and vary my deficit and go for 500 calorie deficit on my rest days and 350 calorie deficit on exercise days. I do find results more motivating! I would rather go hard for 4 weeks- take a break for 1 week and then repeat. A small deficit day in day out seems depressing.

Ahh sorry about the injury hopefully nothing serious.

However you want to distribute calories is up to you so if you like more calories on rest days go for it.

In the end as long as you aren't losing too quick for your stats in an unhealthy way or in a way that is going to cause you to crash and burn (and regain) then give it a go.
    I am similar and I get bored easily too (I am recomping right now, if you want to know what boring is, it's like watching plate tectonics shift *yawn*)

Some ways to keep it interesting: Switch your rate of loss week to week. Incorporate more calorie cycling (or even something like 5:2 might be a good fit for you where you eat very low only two days a week then maintenance the rest). If you don't like being in a deficit too long, take more diet breaks especially if you went harder for a few weeks. Try to incorporate more protein and fibre into your meals to help with the feeling of being hungry, make sure your food is fun and enjoyable so you don't get discouraged day to day.

In the end you want a balance between loss in a healthy sustainable way, but also something that works for you and keeps you pushing. Might take some experimenting to find that sweet spot. For me every time I cut I learn some new tricks that help me each time.