Is this a good workout routine?

Options
Ok, I'm looking to get super fit, like Olympic athlete and ninja warrior type fit, so I want to train as hard as possible. I'm a 20 year old male who weighs 70kg and is 182cm tall. I'm mostly skinny, but have a little bit of stubborn belly fat. I've made up a fortnightly routine, which I'm currently in the first week of doing and am wondering if it is decent. Note, I'm looking for overall fitness and strength here, not just bodybuilding. I just want to make sure I've got all fitness areas covered and also make sure i'm targeting all muscle groups frequently.

I know for the 'leg days' I've only put squats down, and I'm not doing any isolation exercises for example a calf workout, but is it really necessary? Squats are a good compound movement and work most of the leg muscles. Also my HIITs are a 10 minute session of burpes, mountain climbers, tuck jumps, star jumps & jump rope, plus I'm also running, so is anything else for legs really needed?

Also take note that my Chest workouts are my bench days, usually I'll start with a light weight and do 20 reps, after that I'll put my 4-6 rep max on and do 3 sets. I may change the weight as required, and then I'll rearrange the bench and do 2 sets of incline press. Usually I'll follow up with triceps or shoulder exercises. Triceps is usually 3-4 different types of isolation exercises for 1 minute each and then repeat, usually I use a set of dumbbells. When I do shoulders its usually 3 sets of overhead press, followed by some accessory work targeting different heads of the shoulders. On the days I do bench press, I'll usually just do the overhead press and skip the accessory work, especially if I'm doing triceps stuff. On the day where I've just listed 'Shoulders' I'll do Overhead press followed by guaranteed accessory work, targeting all my shoulder muscles.

On the Deadlifts days, I start with a quick 2-3 minute warm up. Usually I just pump out a bunch of star jumps, then I'll put a light weight on and do a set of around 12. After that I'll put a heavy weight on and do 4 sets at 6 reps.

Now one routine I'm having trouble with is my Back/Bicep days. I'm just not sure on what type of workouts I should be doing for my back and how many sets/reps. I've never really worked out my back (besides from deadlifts), so a little help is appreciated

Week 1:
Monday Day - Chest, Triceps
Monday Night - Run
Tuesday Day - Squats
Tuesday Night - Ab Routine
Wednesday Day - Back/Biceps
Wednesday Night - Calisthenics
Thursday - Rest
Friday Day - HIIT followed by Ab Routine.
Friday Night - Chest, Shoulders
Sunday Day - Back/Biceps
Sunday Night - Run

Week 2:
Monday Day - Chest/Shoulders
Monday Night - Calisthenics
Tuesday Day - Squats
Tuesday Night - Back/Biceps
Wednesday Day - HIIT followed by Ab Routine.
Wednesday Night - Shoulders
Thursday Night - Run
Friday Day - Deadlifts
Friday Night - HIIT followed by Ab Routine.
Saturday Day - Back/Biceps
Saturday Night - Run
Sunday Day - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Sunday Night - HIIT/Calisthenics

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Self-designed strength programs are usually imbalanced due to a lack of exercise science knowledge, so it's best to follow a proven program designed by a professional, like one from the pinned post (look for the "Which lifting program.." link in it).
    Calf exercises aren't normally essential if you're jumping or sprinting, but if you want to be "super fit", add a few sets.
    JTWOLF99 wrote: »
    I just want to make sure I've got all fitness areas covered

Add sprinting drills. Also agility drills. Youtube has plenty of those. Consider adding suitcase carries at the end of your strength training, and some sort of fast rotational exercise, like medicine ball wall slams.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you want to get super fit, not inbalanced and not injur yourself in the process, find a program that matches your goals and follow it, or get yourself to a gym if you can and ask a trainer. Unless you have some experience in strength training, anything you come up with will be far worse than an established program.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good news is you got the big threee, bad news I doubt you’ll be able to adhere to twoadays, especially with a run the day before a squat session.

But go ahead, give it a try. You’ll figure it out and adjust, or fail and give up: perhaps you’ll even hire a trainer. There are much better economical ways to accomplish your goals: but I’m not being paid to tell you.

But your enthusiasm is there and I approve of that, even if I am skeptical about the execution going forward.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I encourage you to seek info and data on how to train yourself. Specifically proper load management to start.

Training hard as possible is subjective and doesn't sound well in your best interest if you are novel to training.

Yes, I'm not really liking your template unless you are a trained athlete and have history of training this amount of perceived volume and load at your current fitness level.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you work or go to college?
    It seems a lot to do along with other ordinary life things, part from the physical load.

I think it's worth setting a specific goal you're working towards, and that can help inform your training. Otherwise it's a bit vague. Maybe a certain speed in running, or obstacle races, or competing in other ways.

Up to you of course but I find having a specific targeted goal helpful for motivation. Those rainy winter nights I'm not running for the fun of it, I need the drive that comes from the race.