Bathroom scales are a funny thing

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
I have used the same bathroom scale throughout my weight loss journey. Its an "eat smart" scale, glass top. I used it from a starting point of 273.6 pounds to now 199 with a goal of 185. You almost develop a bond with your scale when losing that much weight. Anyway over the last 3 weeks I have been confused, it has been showing a little higher of a fluctuation. I then decided to move it over a few inches and I was getting a different reading. That is when I decided to change out the batteries and back to normal. Consistent and where I was before getting strange readings.
If I were to buy a new scale, what are the most accurate scales that aren't too expensive, lets say less than 50 bucks tops.

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Not exactly what you're looking for, because it's $80, but the Tanita HD-351 would definitely solve your accuracy issues. Dead-on accurate to within .2 of a pound, from any angle or placement on any surface. Very consistent readings. Very durable and solid. A good long-term investment for the ongoing dieter/maintainer, imho.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, my scale started only measuring in 0.2lbs increments. I’ve even changed the batteries since then, but it still does it. Even though it is digital, it sometimes seems to get “stuck” on a number, so I will hold a bunch of clothes or towels when I step on to “reset” it if I get the exact same number 3 days in a row. At my current weight, a +/- quarter pound error isn’t a huge deal to me, but I will probably want a better scale when I get out of the 200s.
  • mothermoose116
    mothermoose116 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We bought a more accurate scale but it weighs me two lbs heavier- definitely going to throw off my happy scale trend!

Bothers me even though I know nothing about my body changed 🤪
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... it is digital, it sometimes seems to get “stuck” on a number, so I will hold a bunch of clothes or towels when I step on to “reset” it if I get the exact same number 3 days in a row."

Mine does stuff like this, too. When it does it on the same morning -- like refusing to recognize that that enormous poop must have weighed something! -- I figure it's the scale's way of telling me to go away and stop obsessing. If I stay away for 24 hours, it usually forgives me and moves. If it doesn't, I grab a bag of kitty litter and let it change what it thinks I weigh. Then I get on it and it's forced to be accurate again.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I put the scales in the bathroom because I have tiles in there, and can line up the scales with a particular set of tiles to make sure they're always in the same spot. If I didn't have tiles, I'd probably put down duct tape to mark the spot.

I typically weigh myself several times and take an average just in case the scales are lying. I find it's not just a case of making sure they're in the same place, I need to make sure I stand perfectly in the same place and with the same posture to be sure of a consistent result.

My scales are also messing with me - they stopped syncing a few months ago when I had to reset the wifi connection for reasons, and never got round to resyncing it. If I lose weight, they don't tell my apps, which is fine, I expect that given I haven't sorted out that connectivity - but curiously, if I have a bad day, my weight seems to magically pull through.

Far be it from me to suggest that my magic scales have developed sentience, hate me, and are only sending through weight gain readings...
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Dead-on accurate to within .2 of a pound, from any angle or placement on any surface. Very consistent readings. .
    Curious as to how you know this? Do you have a set of precision weights which you use to periodically check the accuracy?
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Question for yeah, are those scales with the little weight things on them in the doctors office more or less accurate than digital scale that we use?