Vegan protein macros

Options
Mountaingirl33
Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m gluten free for health reasons And went vegan for health reasons back in April. I was formerly able to keep my macros at 40% protein 30% carb and 30% fat (about 100-120g protein a day) until this change to plant based and although I’m careful to combine protein at meals (chickpeas and tofu etc) I am only averaging 15% protein. I’m getting skinny fat and losing lean muscle (lifting less weight as a consequence) after working really hard to get lean for several years. The benefit to plant based is my joints are less inflamed so I’m trying to stick to this and see if I can get more protein somehow. Right now I’m only getting about 50g protein. I add protein shakes or a nugo protein bar after workouts several times a week. Any suggestions on how to get protein up would be appreciated! (I understand some people do fine on 40 g of protein I just want to have more energy and maintain muscle) thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    Options
    If you go to the "Search" function above and type "Vegan Protein" in the search, there are many discussions that may be helpful to you.

I just did it and a ton of threads pop up.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    Hi thank you! I’m 5’6” 140 currently (up 15 lbs then back down 10 over last 6 weeks after a prednisone course from my rheumatologist). Trying to get back to 135. I definitely hit 30% fat and although aim for 1400 my average has been ~16-1700 calories a week (I strengtrain and do power walking but lift less recently because of my joints). I haven’t been losing much since my margin is so close I’m set for 1/2 lb a week. ‘Gluten free for celiacs and after hearing vegan is good for reducing inflammation that’s what I was rationalizing for vegan since I can’t be on prednisone long term and didn't tolerate the other allopathic medicine I was given by Rheumatologist. (I was vegetarian for 20 years and vegan for 3 before going gluten free with celiac diagnosis ). Gluten free alone was hard enough. I’m very good with sticking to any food plan- I just haven’t been able to get enough protein. Add hemp seed to oats in am, tofu and chickpeas with lunch and dinner, a shake or bar (I know it’s processed and that drives me batty). I totally understand it’s not the best for my goals but am trying to keep inflammation at bay with good gut health *while* still fueling to train. I appreciate your help!!
  • gcassells
    gcassells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check out VeganProteins on insta. She’s fab and a bodybuilding coach. I’m gluten free and vegan and manage 115-140g protein daily on 1500-1800 calories. Percentage wise, it’s usually less than 30% of total calories though - most vegan sources just come with more carbs but I worked out my macros based on grams and that’s a good place for me. There are tons of ways to incorporate more protein sources and once you’ve worked out the ones that work for you, you’ll be sorted!
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    Wow - thank you! Will do!
  • kshepard1333
    kshepard1333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No meat athlete is helpful. Recipes too!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I’m at 1300 and manage to get 25-30% protein daily by eating legumes, seitan, vegan protein powder and loads of green leafies. I also love protein bars and nut butters for a higher protein higher cal boost.