Breastfeeding no weightloss

Options
I am 18 months postpartum and lost all weight. I started working out lifting and cardio 6 weeks after c section. At about 1 year postpartum I started to gain. Like my clothes got tighter and I have felt very fatigued. I have been breaking out bad. I even started intermittent fasting.
I wake at 530am and workout (Sydney cummings) and along with that I walk on incline one day and run really fast mile the next so I’m alternating.
I’m eating real foods not junk, and making sure I’m meeting her needs as well as portion control.

Anyone here deal with weight gain while breastfeeding? Currently trying to wean as well and trying to stay under 1800 calories or less

Replies

• superreal40
    superreal40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also, I am NOT pregnant .
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Many people find breastfeeding helps them lose weight. I did not find that with any of my 4 kids I lost weight breastfeeding after the first 3ish months.

My hypothesis, based solely on my own experience, is that around 1 year when baby is eating mostly solids, starting to or well able to drink from a cup, you naturally taper off nursing. At 3 months it might have been every few hours. At 12 Mo, 3-5x a day and declining as you and baby are out more, more active. If calories aren’t adjusted down a bit you will slowly gain weight bc you’re keeping intake the same as when you were using more calories to make milk.

Have you been tracking calories all along? Since you are 18 mo pp, how often are you nursing? I weaned by 12-18 mo, and by around 18 mo I was nursing twice a day, so I was not producing much milk (so not burning many extra calories).
  • superreal40
    superreal40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am only getting in about 1400 calories a day.

Yesterday I didn’t eat till 1 pm and had a protein shake and an apple dinner I had a salad with boats head turkey.

Snack sea salt popcorn and pineapple.

I’m restricting so hard and this morning put shorts on and they are tight. I feel like my hormones are all over the place. I have tried to cut coffee, low carb. This sucks
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and breastfeeding or reducing it can cause hunger levels to change, also now perhaps at 1 year your post-partum hormones returned to normal or are trying to level out, plus it sounds like you are under fueling and pushing yourself really hard and your body isn't having it.

Maybe take a step back, up the calories, don't over exercise or over restrict food, focus on your hormone health and if you want to wean focus on doing that. Then once you stop you can start to slowly reduce calories again and up your exercise. Track your measurements, take progress photos, hydrate, get enough food and rest (if you can).

• hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It really does sound like actually you need a break and to put yourself under less stress, it's sounding like your pushing too hard and not getting enough recovery at a difficult time. Why not eat at maintenence and have a recovery week or two (less exercise) and then see how you're feeling/ weighing?
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some people will gain while breastfeeding. You may have to stop entirely and make sure you’re eating at that 1800 unless you don’t want to keep your supply. I feel loads different when baby weans:more energy better sleep less sugar cravings etc. For some people it’s like their body fights back when they try to reduce while nursing (probably trying to protect the supply). I would stay btw 1700 -1800 until baby is weaned entirely and then drop your intake again. How much sleep are you getting if you’re getting up at 530? Make sure you’re getting over 7 hours.
    That’s my two cents for what it’s worth (I have five babies... that were all nursed but I’m only one person)
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Anthem76 wrote: »
    I craved sugar ALL the time.

Oh my gosh. This yes. And the sleeplessness making me want to eat sugar too. It’s a total recipe for disaster.