What does your workout split look like?

Options
I’m trying to find a split that would work best for me. It’s been such a long while since I’ve been in the gym and trying to get back into a solid routine. My main goal is to work hard and maintain a clean food plan.

Replies

• roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals I guess. Are you looking to lose weight or to build muscle? I need to lose weight so I stay away from bodybuilding things. My routine is to start with some cardio. Most people would consider what I do to be light cardio. Walking on a treadmill for 25 - 30 mins is a nice warm up for doing the other stuff. I do weight machines, and have my routine split in to 4 sessions that I rotate through. Core, Lower Body (Legs and Hips), Chest and Arms, and finally Back,neck and shoulder. I just rotate through them and I keep track of what I did, number of reps and the weight. I tend to use low weights, because I want to tone muscle and burn fat without bulking up, so I avoid the bodybuilder routines. Hope this helps.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals I guess. Are you looking to lose weight or to build muscle? I need to lose weight so I stay away from bodybuilding things. My routine is to start with some cardio. Most people would consider what I do to be light cardio. Walking on a treadmill for 25 - 30 mins is a nice warm up for doing the other stuff. I do weight machines, and have my routine split in to 4 sessions that I rotate through. Core, Lower Body (Legs and Hips), Chest and Arms, and finally Back,neck and shoulder. I just rotate through them and I keep track of what I did, number of reps and the weight. I tend to use low weights, because I want to tone muscle and burn fat without bulking up, so I avoid the bodybuilder routines. Hope this helps.

Losing weight or gaining will depend on your calorie intake.

There is no reason to avoid hypertrophy routines in a deficit, they will not cause excess muscle gain or bulk. Even if you do gain muscle in a deficit it won't overshadow your fat loss. Bulk comes from gaining muscle and fat in a surplus. Or if you are talking about too much definition then that will come from getting really lean. Many people choose to do more strength based since it is easier when starting out and it can be more manageable in a deficit than loads of volume of a bodybuilder routine. (My routine pretty much stays the same even when I'm cutting down).

If your current routine keeps you motivated and you enjoy it, great, but don't fear lifting heavy or high volume because of a fear of not being able to lean out and lose weight. That will come down to your calorie intake. Also keep in mind if you aren't challenging your muscles adequately you will be more likely to lose muscle and might not be as happy with your body composition when you get to goal.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, but I may not have phrased things right. I do light weights for now, with more repetitions because I don't want to look like Mr. Universe. At my age and body shape, I just want to stop looking like the Michelin man. I am way out of proportion and I am somewhere around 50 pounds or so overweight, so I need to lose the excess weight, and remove the fat while also redistribute the weight to where it's supposed to be. My routine seems to work for me and is simple enough that it doesn't intimidate me to the point of skipping out on doing it. It may not work for others. But again, thanks for the input, as it has educated me about some things.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about waking up and looking like Mr. Universe that definitely doesn't happen by accident :p

But yea if your routine is working for you, getting you to the gym that is the most important part in my opinion. Just wanted to clarify since many people have the idea that they will look like Arnold overnight if they lift a few heavy weights :)