Body fat testing and sad

Options
My body fat tested and I’m feeling extremely sad and discouraged. I’ve been working so hard and I am kind of stuck so I thought I would go get a DEXA fit scan and my body fat percentage was off their charts I’m 43.9% body fat! I know better but mentally in my head I was saying oh as long as I’m in my mid-30s I will be OK and not only am I not that I’m much more. I’ve been working hard since January and I’ve been stuck so I was hoping maybe I was just gaining muscle

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure it’s a helpful metric.

You get that figure down by losing more weight m, being in a calorie deficit. It’s just a figure. Please don’t be discouraged.

Also I would encourage you to look into weight training.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I would not do bodyfat measurements until you are nearing goal.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,162 Member
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I would not do bodyfat measurements until you are nearing goal.

Or use it as a baseline for future efforts (even if there is a margin of error).

Don't think of this single scan as lessening what you have achieved these past months. You have nothing to compare it to, perhaps you have lost a sizeable percentage of body fat already.
    Perhaps you can just look at it as a starting point for the rest of your journey!
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. I’d lost sixty or seventy pounds, was working with a trainer, had def stepped up my excercise regimen, including adding Pilates and even starting to run. I thought I was fine, baby.

I was so excited to take a Dexa scan and have it confirm my fineness, but it said i was about 30%. I broke down in tears when I got home, and beat myself up for days, was ready to hang up the towel.

And then. I realized..... I was down sixty or seventy pounds, was working with a trainer, had stepped up my excercise regimen, doing Pilates and even starting to run, which I had not done since forced to for the Presidents Physical Fitness test. in the early 70’s.

Like that presidents test, all that Dexa result showed me was what I WASN’T. It didn’t show me what I WAS.

In the past year, I’ve learned that “cup half full” takes you a darn sight further than half empty, whether is exercise, weight, relationships, or just general outlook.

You don’t need a test result to tell you you’re improving your life and outlook (unless it’s a medically necessary test, of course).

Suck it up and carry on, and (for me) don’t give in to the temptation of falling in line with someone else’s test results that can’t possibly identify or quantify who you are at that snapshot in time versus who you used to be.

Whew! Climbing down off soapbox. That Dexa scan was an emotional turning point for me. It was the numerical, statistical equivalent of my mom wagging her finger at me and smirking “you’ll always be fat just like me”.

I’ve gone on to lose a total of 90. As I’ve said before, *kitten* Dexa results. It’s just a number.
    [/quote

Thank you!! I can so relate to this and needed this so badly today. I hope it’s ok I sent you a friend request. You’re inspiring me and I would love to follow you!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    algrif37 wrote: »
    I have about 40-50 lbs to lose. But at least I know my lean body mass is 105 so I h e a fairly good protein goal to reach for. And my RMR rate tested as a baseline of 1500 so maybe I’m not getting enough calories. At any rate I’m going to keep working on my strength and trying to keep a positive mindset !

I commend you for "facing reality" by getting a DEXA scan done but, as you discovered, reality can be a b•tch!

I believe that being honest w/yourself is essential to achieving the goals that you set for yourself and that objective data is the best way to measure your progress.

That's why I still log everything that I eat and weigh myself daily despite being in maintenance for over 3 yrs.

In the past, when I was on a high protein diet and trying to both lose fat and gain muscle, I had a DEXA scan AND also had a hydrostatic test done QUARTERLY to measure my progress.

I'm not on the same program now but I still get a DEXA scan and hydro test done annually, when I get my annual physical and all of my blood tests done, as just a measurement of my health and fitness.

As you lose wt, I suggest you get another DEXA scan done at 20-25# wt loss and at 40-50# wt loss to measure the progress you've made.

Good luck!
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Great input and support and I really appreciate it!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to be positive. I feel a bit better after venting for sure. I went up after my hysterectomy a couple of years ago and have been fighting it. I am down about 16 lbs since January so that is progress. And the one good thing about quarantine is that I’ve committed to strength training quite a bit and definitely feel a lot stronger than when I started. It just gets annoying sometimes! Basically I do cardio 4-5 times a week and lifting 4 times a week now. I’m following booty by Bret program les mills on demand. With some extra abs and upper body from new rules of lifting for women Trying to eat a a deficit, certainly not perfect every day but most days for sure. Anyway I channeled my negativity into an excellent strength day and kickboxing class and am feeling much better!

Those lifting programmes are reputable and 16 pounds since January is good steady progress.

One thing I would say is It does take most of us months to years to build a decent physique. I’ve been lifting for 3 years. My body looks very different from when I started but I still have progress to make. I have periods where I can’t see much change and I get frustrated. So you have to have a regime of eating and lifting/fitness that you enjoy so that you can sustain it even when things set you back (like getting a dexa scan result you weren’t expecting, for example)
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to be positive. I feel a bit better after venting for sure. I went up after my hysterectomy a couple of years ago and have been fighting it. I am down about 16 lbs since January so that is progress. And the one good thing about quarantine is that I’ve committed to strength training quite a bit and definitely feel a lot stronger than when I started. It just gets annoying sometimes! Basically I do cardio 4-5 times a week and lifting 4 times a week now. I’m following booty by Bret program les mills on demand. With some extra abs and upper body from new rules of lifting for women Trying to eat a a deficit, certainly not perfect every day but most days for sure. Anyway I channeled my negativity into an excellent strength day and kickboxing class and am feeling much better!

16 pounds is AMAZING progress! Don't beat yourself up. Keep going and you will continue to see results. Slow steady progress that lasts is much better than quick loss that doesn't. ♥️
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My body fat tested and I’m feeling extremely sad and discouraged. I’ve been working so hard and I am kind of stuck so I thought I would go get a DEXA fit scan and my body fat percentage was off their charts I’m 43.9% body fat! I know better but mentally in my head I was saying oh as long as I’m in my mid-30s I will be OK and not only am I not that I’m much more. I’ve been working hard since January and I’ve been stuck so I was hoping maybe I was just gaining muscle

You're still making progress, so don't be discouraged. Composition tests are more useful for tracking changes than giving an absolute response. The testing can be off too in either direction. I just recently was listening to the story about how Ray Williams, a powerlifter, was measured at 24.3%. Ray's a strong guy and carries a lot of muscle, but looking at him would suggest he is not 24.3%. On the other hand, I saw a woman with a defined six pack who had something like 30% on a DEXA scan.

Was there a reason you were expecting a mid-30s? At a given height, there are reasonable maximums on lean mass for most people. Gaining lean mass is a slow process. Even more so for someone actively losing weight, and for women.
    Looking at your prior posts, you're 5'4", ~180, so 35% body fat would be a lean mass for 117? That represents a Fat Free Mass Index of 20.1. For most women, that would represent an advanced lifter, typically with years of experience unless very genetically gifted.