New to MFP...major struggles

Hi all, I’m new to this. Previously did WW successfully but then had my daughter and couldn’t get back into it. Decided to try basic calorie counting but I only get 1,240 cals a day. I’ve gone over every day so far I’m finding it so hard. How does everyone else manage? Any good tips please?

Replies

• DMG6930
    DMG6930 Posts: 1 Member
    Try buying a food scale and weighing out your food. I used to not eat portion sizes at all and now I weigh and check the calories in everything. It will make you more aware of how much calorie intake you are getting
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,758 Member
    Hi all, I’m new to this. Previously did WW successfully but then had my daughter and couldn’t get back into it. Decided to try basic calorie counting but I only get 1,240 cals a day. I’ve gone over every day so far I’m finding it so hard. How does everyone else manage? Any good tips please?

How much do you weigh and what is your goal?
    Your calorie goal is very low, but that might be because you have chosen an aggressive rate of loss, which might not be appropriate.

Also, how active are you in daily life? What activity level did you choose on MFP?
    And are you exercising or not? If you are exercising, are you logging it on MFP and eating back (part of) those calories?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Try not to feel overwhelmed. This is a new system to you and it will take a little time to learn the basics.

In addition to what the others have said:

1) Give yourself permission to go over your calories right now as you dial all this in. It doesn't mean you won't lose weight unless you wipe out your entire deficit. If you have selected to lose 1 pound per week your deficit is 500 calories, if you selected to lose 1.5 it is 750, and if you selected to lose 2 it is 1000. This means you can eat up to that much more and still lose some weight it just won't be at your full rate.

2) Your calorie goal is pretty low but assuming it is correct how is your protein intake and fiber? Many people find those two things help control their hunger. Others find fat helps and still others carbs.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    No one was born counting calories. They don’t teach it in school. There’s a learning curve. Give yourself plenty of time to learn the system.

Also, we are all basically working by trial and error. We each have to find our own way. Weight loss requires two things- a calorie deficit and the ability to live with it. There’s a tendency to start out by going all in on the most aggressive deficit and then try to beat ourselves into living with it. Generally doesn’t work out so well. Have you calculated your maintenance number? Maybe start by aiming for that.

Then take a look at what you like to eat. Can you make any modifications to cut some calories from your favorites? Do you really need cheese on that? As suggested, get and use a food scale. What higher calorie dishes can you keep in your plan by limiting the portions?

But don’t do this- don’t quit. Calorie counting works. But it takes time. Keep trying. You can do this.

• miscgraphics
    miscgraphics Posts: 24 Member
    When I started out I gave myself a range of between 1600-1000 (I had issues with not eating as well as binge eating) what you are essential wanting to do when you start is develop a habit (and break some bad ones) don’t kick yourself for being hungry. Our bodies tend to want comfort and it’s hard to retrain the brain to identify what that is. I started counting calories each meal, supplementing with whey protein shakes until I got used to dropping portion sizes. I never used to eat during the day and would over eat dinner, so doing a smoothie for breakfast and one for lunch helped cut the initial calories, leaving more to work with for that one meal. I drank a lot of water to curb my desire to eat even when I knew I wasn’t really hungry. Didn’t even exercise in the beginning month just because I wanted to just focus on one thing. But be vigilant on entering what you eat in the food diary, over time you will notice patterns of what you eat and how you feel. I know for me, I had a huge amount of inflammation and it flares up if I go over 200 g of carbs. So I stick to under 100/150. Do I sometimes go over? Of course, but I know it will mean more achy the next day. The slower you go, the more sustainable the life long healthy eating can be. It’s not a DIE -it but a LIVE-it. I’ve been doing this over a year, and just passed my 100# mark. I added in walking a mile a day (which started with just 5 minutes walking each morning-think building the habit first then increase time/distance) and if your brain says “I don’t want to.,,” tell yourself “so” you’ll selftalk any excuse to quit but be mindful that if you give in to the excuse today, you’ll have one tomorrow and nothing will change. Be strong, you are fighting yourself and you know all your tricks.
  • HappyHealthyMeS
    HappyHealthyMeS Posts: 5 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Your calorie goal is very low, but that might be because you have chosen an aggressive rate of loss, which might not be appropriate.

Also, how active are you in daily life? What activity level did you choose on MFP?
    And are you exercising or not? If you are exercising, are you logging it on MFP and eating back (part of) those calories?

I weigh 11 stone and want to get down to 9.7. I chose to lose 1lb a week. I have an office job so not very active so I chose that. However, working from home during lockdown has meant that we have been going for long walks each day.
  • HappyHealthyMeS
    HappyHealthyMeS Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for all the advice. I’ll keep going
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2020
    I chose to change how I ate, I have joint issues so I don't get much excercise. By changing how I eat I've lost 45 lbs, and I took all my advice from the book How Not to Diet. I always struggled with hunger but the place that signals when to stop you from eating is in the colon and reacts strongly to fiber. So I eat a lot of fiber soluable and insoluable, finding the right mix and transitioning to it can be challenging at first. However, I love raw veggies, fruits, and nuts; and I love legumes especially in Indian and Asian cooking. I don't really like meat or dairy so it was easy for me.

And I did this with eating as much as I wanted, and while I tracked calories I really didn't restrict anything. But due to the low glycemic load, there was no way I could eat my self fat on those healthy foods.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    solf82t1f3gp.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,758 Member
    If you're struggling with your calorie goal, you have several options:
    - choose 0.5lbs per week as your weight loss rate. It will take more time and patience (water weight fluctuations will make it harder to spot your weight loss trend) but you will have 250 kcal extra per day
    - try to find foods or food combinations that satiate you more
    - finding an eating 'schedule' that works for you. Some people prefer frequent small meals, others prefer fewer but larger meals. Intermittent fasting is another option (for example skipping breakfast so you have more calories the rest of the day)
    - being more active (whether it be in daily activities or exercise) so that you can eat more
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

I weigh 11 stone and want to get down to 9.7. I chose to lose 1lb a week. I have an office job so not very active so I chose that. However, working from home during lockdown has meant that we have been going for long walks each day.

Are you logging your exercise and eating back those calories? That's how MFP is designed to work. You also have the option to choose a more reasonable weight loss goal -- that will give you more calories each day. Many people find it is easier to lose weight consistently when they have more calories per day because it reduces the number of days where you "break" due to hunger and go over your calorie goal. It's better to regularly hit a goal that puts you at a moderate deficit than to just sometimes hit a goal that will put you at a steeper one.