Recommendations on where to buy a starter dumbbell set?

Options
Like everyone else, I am looking to do more workouts at home and need some weights, probably a 10 lb, 15 lb, 20 lb, 25 lb for both me and my husband, hex style preferred but not necessary.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them at a fair price?
Due to COVID and increasing manufacturing expenses, dumbbells are in short supply around here!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    No idea, but if you wait until gyms start opening up, used ones should be cheap on craiglist, facebook marketplace, etc. If that's going to be a long time, consider making your own with concrete. Instructions are on google & youtube. :+1:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,438 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out I would really get heavier weights, especially for your husband. Those might not last you long to be honest.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    A small, local gym that's dealing with bankruptcy due to the pandemic. Kind of a vulture tactic but 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What are you considering a fair price?

$2-$3 per lb?

Plenty if options depending what you are looking to spend.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Iron Master adjustable dumbbells. Get in line quick.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have a set of power blocks. They are pricey but save so much space and I’m not paying out fir a gym membership atm so I’ve used them loads.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd say give kettlebells a try - lots of instructions on youtube etc. but currently they are rare and expensive like dumbells/weights
    Bad time to buy - can you maybe improvise just to get started ?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I can usually find up to 15s at Goodwill for .50-$1 per lb. of course when it’s safe to go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry can’t edit above to add, you can also buy the dumbbell handles and small plates 1-10 lbs to customize any weight you want.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I bought my set at Costco (just before Covid).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I bought an excellent but discontinued Gold'sGym branded pair of 50#@ adjustable dumbbells w/a stand for only $100 off of Crsiglist. Haven't seen anything better or cheaper anywhere else since.
  • chantelbrooks24
    chantelbrooks24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I got to a point where I wanted to start incorporating weights at home. I have been looking for dumbbells EVERYWHERE with no luck. I had no idea there was a dumbbell shortage.... 🙄
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    All the dumbbell sets on Amazon are gone (backorder). But, if you buy a basic empty dumbbell and the weights separate, they are available now.

Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbell Bar | 1 inch & 1.15 inch Dumbbell Handles (Pairs & Single)

CAP Barbell Standard 1-Inch Grip Weight Plates, Single, Gray

These are two decent, no frills choices. You have to buy the handles and weights separate and make your own dumbbells, but they are available. I have some sets like this that I've hung on to for years and work great. I've since upgraded to the Bowflex 50 lb adjustable one, but I still like these for just keeping in my office (and I leave the Bowflex in my home gym).