Our Path/Second Nature

Options
I gave this NHS-derived eating plan a try but it really isn’t working for me. I signed up with great enthusiasm and to some degree it is helpful. The group support and advice is very good.

Alas, I didn’t realise beforehand that this is simply a low-carb diet. Once I started with it, I soon realised just how restrictive it was. Unfortunately, due to an injury I’m currently unable to exercise, so despite sticking to it as closely as possible, I’ve actually gained weight as of this morning, which I am totally dismayed by.

I’m not going to continue with the programme but I’m curious if anyone else has had a more positive experience with it.

Replies

• TCWUK
    TCWUK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think Second Nature is a brilliant weight loss support plan. It has an holistic strategy to help with changing lifestyle habits - food, exercise, attitude, mindfulness. You’re put in a group of about a dozen people all starting on the same day and you’re supported online every day, following a programme over 12 weeks based around forming new habits, that together will lead to a healthy and sustainable weight loss. I think you need to be well motivated to start with and not just challenge the system “to get you to lose weight”. Part of that is lowering carb intake, portion control, and changing the mindset that caused the weight increase in the first place.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you've gone through the MFP set up, entered your stats and a realistic weight loss rate and have a target number of calories per day. I'd be inclined to continue following the programme for the support and lifestyle changes, but track your food via MFP and reduce portion sizes so that your calories fit your daily goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so they advertise with: No calorie counting, no fad diets (in one sentence). Great.

If this is all low carb then they should be clear about it. Not everybody thrives on low carb. Actually, I would be miserable and give up after a day already. But each their own.
  • TCWUK
    Options
    Oh it does sound like a marketing pitch doesn’t it sorry ! 😁 but I’m just pleased with how well it works for me compared to other ways I’ve tried to lose weight over the years. Yes it is lowish carb, yes you do watch portion sizes, yes you do restrict foods that are likely to increase your weight. But name me any way of losing weight that doesn’t entail restrictions of some kind? Who has that magic wand? If you need to lose weight, you have to restrict something, change your mindset, break old habits, form new habits . We each have to find our way of achieving that. The support system on SN is really good for me and makes all the difference for me. But then again, I also do tend not to be miserable and give up on day one of trying something new so perhaps having a positive outlook helps too 👍🙂
  • allycs85
    allycs85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I gave this NHS-derived eating plan a try but it really isn’t working for me. I signed up with great enthusiasm and to some degree it is helpful. The group support and advice is very good.

Alas, I didn’t realise beforehand that this is simply a low-carb diet. Once I started with it, I soon realised just how restrictive it was. Unfortunately, due to an injury I’m currently unable to exercise, so despite sticking to it as closely as possible, I’ve actually gained weight as of this morning, which I am totally dismayed by.

I’m not going to continue with the programme but I’m curious if anyone else has had a more positive experience with it.

I'm surprised that an NHS eating plan is low carb. The eating plans given by the Dr and the ones on the NHS website/eat smart are really well balanced, as you would expect from the department of health.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TCWUK wrote: »
    Oh it does sound like a marketing pitch doesn’t it sorry ! 😁 but I’m just pleased with how well it works for me compared to other ways I’ve tried to lose weight over the years. Yes it is lowish carb, yes you do watch portion sizes, yes you do restrict foods that are likely to increase your weight. But name me any way of losing weight that doesn’t entail restrictions of some kind? Who has that magic wand? If you need to lose weight, you have to restrict something, change your mindset, break old habits, form new habits . We each have to find our way of achieving that. The support system on SN is really good for me and makes all the difference for me. But then again, I also do tend not to be miserable and give up on day one of trying something new so perhaps having a positive outlook helps too 👍🙂

Restricting carbohydrates isn't for everyone. Someone who recognizes it isn't a good fit for them isn't "miserable" so much as they have a good degree of self-knowledge. Maybe don't assume the worst about people who are different than you?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    allycs85 wrote: »

I'm surprised that an NHS eating plan is low carb. The eating plans given by the Dr and the ones on the NHS website/eat smart are really well balanced, as you would expect from the department of health.

This is an interesting read: https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/18/noom-competitor-ourpath-rebrands-as-second-nature-raises-10m-series-a/

Apparently it started out as a program for diabetes management, which would explain the low carb aspect.
  • TCWUK
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Look, I don't know OP, but neither do you. So positioning yourself as "not tending to be miserable and give up on day one of trying" (implying OP hasn't given it a real go) is a bit harsh :wink:

Jeesh. I wasn't referring to the OP or anyone else as being miserable, you've made that connection all on your own. Did you not see that Yirara described themself as tending to be miserable and give up after day 1 and my comment was in response to Yirara - I tend not to be like that and that probably makes a difference.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    TCWUK wrote: »

Jeesh. I wasn't referring to the OP or anyone else as being miserable, you've made that connection all on your own. Did you not see that Yirara described themself as tending to be miserable and give up after day 1 and my comment was in response to Yirara - I tend not to be like that and that probably makes a difference.

That wasn't a statement of character/personality though, which seemed to be what you were implying, it was a statement relating to low carb not being a good fit for her.