Gaining weight, help!

Options
missuswife
missuswife Posts: 26 Member
edited June 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve been doing a half hour of Leslie Sansone walk videos on YouTube almost every day for a month. I’m eating about half my exercise calories. In the month I’ve been doing this, I’ve gained 10lbs! What the heck.

I weigh my food on a scale and I drink 2 liters of water a day. I try to eat some carbs before and some protein after my workout. I’m trying to be patient, I had read that you can gain some weight at first when you start exercising but ten pounds?!

ETA: my my measurements haven’t changed either.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is your overall calorie goal set to lose weight? Were you losing weight before you started the exercise or did you start your calorie counting and exercising at the same time?

Did you gain the ten pounds all at once or has it been coming on gradually? Are you sure that your scale is accurate?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are probably grossly overestimating your burns and underestimating what you eat. I would start by not adding any calories for your workouts and measuring with a scale everything you eat, and aim at reversing what happened in a month or two.
  • missuswife
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    You are probably grossly overestimating your burns and underestimating what you eat. I would start by not adding any calories for your workouts and measuring with a scale everything you eat, and aim at reversing what happened in a month or two.

I weigh everything I eat on a digital metric kitchen scale. The calories are sent from my Apple Watch and calculated by MFP.
  • missuswife
    Options
    Is your overall calorie goal set to lose weight? Were you losing weight before you started the exercise or did you start your calorie counting and exercising at the same time?

Did you gain the ten pounds all at once or has it been coming on gradually? Are you sure that your scale is accurate?

My weight loss speed is set to 1lb/week. I was losing a little bit every week for a few months, not a whole pound but maybe if I averaged it over a few months it would be. I’ve been doing it for awhile and I’d gone from 206 to 195 when I added in the exercise. Now I’m at 204.

I’m really not eating that much more. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories per day. I can’t really eat more than 1700 because my stomach and appetite have shrunk since I started calorie-counting.
  • missuswife
    Options
    missuswife wrote: »

I weigh everything I eat on a digital metric kitchen scale. The calories are sent from my Apple Watch and calculated by MFP.

I've seen many people report that syncing the Apple Watch with MFP results in inaccurate adjustments. If you were losing weight until you began eating back adjustments for your exercise, I would begin with assuming that's the issue.

Hmm ok, do you think I should try doing one month of not eating any exercise calories?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I've seen many people report that syncing the Apple Watch with MFP results in inaccurate adjustments. If you were losing weight until you began eating back adjustments for your exercise, I would begin with assuming that's the issue.

Hmm ok, do you think I should try doing one month of not eating any exercise calories?

Something does seem to be off with how you're estimating your calories in or your calories out so it might be useful to try not eating them back and see if that helps. If you reach a point where you resume losing weight and you're then losing faster than you expect, you can always add some back.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As much as I love Leslie Sansone’s workouts, I found I had to step up my workouts to see any results. I used to do the half hour workouts too, and found they were useful for maintenance, but not long term weight loss results. You may have to step up to her 4 or 5 mile walk.
    Also, the number of miles registered on my Fitbit were not the same as what the exercise claimed. For instance, when I would do the 4 mile walk, it would only register as 2 miles, around 200 calories burned. I wonder if you could be overestimating your calorie burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If your device is giving you incorrect data (which isn't just exercise data) either correct that data (many people connect via an intermediary app such as Pacer) or disconnect it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Your may not need pre and post mini meals for the sansone walks. The food scale is your friend.
  • missuswife
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Your may not need pre and post mini meals for the sansone walks. The food scale is your friend.

I meant I changed from a protein-centered breakfast to whole grain centered breakfast. I wait a little bit to digest and then do my workout. Afterwards I have water and some lean turkey cause I’m hungry, and it’s awhile until lunch.

My schedule is weird cause I’m a solo parent with three little kids. Been stuck isolating with them since mid-March. I can’t work out before breakfast because of how early they all get up and want to eat etc.

As I said above, I use a metric digital kitchen scale. I’m not sure how much more precise I could be with weighing my food besides using grams? I cook from scratch and weigh everything and check loads of database entries to find what seems most accurate.
  • missuswife
    Options
    As much as I love Leslie Sansone’s workouts, I found I had to step up my workouts to see any results. I used to do the half hour workouts too, and found they were useful for maintenance, but not long term weight loss results. You may have to step up to her 4 or 5 mile walk.
    Also, the number of miles registered on my Fitbit were not the same as what the exercise claimed. For instance, when I would do the 4 mile walk, it would only register as 2 miles, around 200 calories burned. I wonder if you could be overestimating your calorie burn.

Yeah I noticed that too. She’ll say we’ve done a mile but my watch says .86 miles. Then she says two miles and my watch is only at 1.65 or so. I go by what the watch says.

I’m not athletic at all. My heart rate is peaking at 146bpm during the workouts and the watch usually says I burned 200 “active calories”. I do a half hour video and if my exercise ring hasn’t closed then I rewind the video and do the last five mins over again to close the ring.

I usually clock around 8,000 steps a day just caring for my kids and doing housework. I have twin five year old boys and a seven year old in a three story house 😂
  • cmentis182
    cmentis182 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am not really qualified to give any advice but just my experience, I have been working out for about four days. *Note, I used to be an active kid, just turned a couch potato for the last 5 years* I also bought this cheap wrist band, Xiaomi Band 4 which counts steps and have a few ranges of exercise sections that shows how much you burn. So, the first day, I jump roped about 2000+ and it took me somewhere between 24 minutes and I burned 120 calories. The next day, I did 2500+ jump rope and it took me around 27 minutes and I burned 145+ calories. On third day, I jump roped for another 2500+ times and it took me 33 minutes and it was a 220+ burn and today I jump roped 3600+ in 32 minutes and I burned 206 calories.

My point being, I think our body become efficient in doing the same sort of movements and it requires less energy, hence less burn.
  • cmentis182
    cmentis182 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    cmentis182 wrote: »
    I am not really qualified to give any advice but just my experience, I have been working out for about four days. *Note, I used to be an active kid, just turned a couch potato for the last 5 years* I also bought this cheap wrist band, Xiaomi Band 4 which counts steps and have a few ranges of exercise sections that shows how much you burn. So, the first day, I jump roped about 2000+ and it took me somewhere between 24 minutes and I burned 120 calories. The next day, I did 2500+ jump rope and it took me around 27 minutes and I burned 145+ calories. On third day, I jump roped for another 2500+ times and it took me 33 minutes and it was a 220+ burn and today I jump roped 3600+ in 32 minutes and I burned 206 calories.

My point being, I think our body become efficient in doing the same sort of movements and it requires less energy, hence less burn.

Sorry but your point is false and your faith in the calorie counting ability of your band is misplaced.
    To make that conclusion from 4 days of exercise doesn't make any kind of sense.

So you are saying that doing the same movements over and over again does not make it less strenuous for ourselves?
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Sorry but your point is false and your faith in the calorie counting ability of your band is misplaced.

I dont think s/he was being conclusive of anything since s/he clearly said being an active kid and starting out again, instead s/he shared the point of the experience. Besides, the point definitely has some edge to it. No wonder its called cardiovascular health for nothin.
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    Options

So you are saying that doing the same movements over and over again does not make it less strenuous for ourselves?

What I'm saying is that doing the same movement burns the same calories, strenous is a feeling and calories don't have feelings
    Now if a person does exactly the weight bearing exercise and drops weight then yes their calorie burn drops. Not really a factor in 4 days.

That lifting 100lbs weight feels easier as you get stronger is still the same calorie burn - physics of mass moved over distance takes energy.
    That running/cycling/rowing feels easier as you get fitter doesn't change the calorie burn in a significant way - it's just feels easier because your capabilities become higher.
    That my heartrate dropped 20% doesn't mean I burn 20% less calories - my heart just pumps more efficiently.

Even for sports/exercises that involve improving skill levels and efficiency (swimming or rowing as examples) what actually happens is that you use the skill to go faster / go further.

Let me do the math. For someone starting over, four days of calorie deficit, with added exercise definitely has some mass deduction which might not be so apparent on someone working out for weeks or months. So there goes some calorie. Second point being calorie burn is somewhat correlated to heart rate and that is why we do HIIT workout. So the efficient you are, the less energy you have to use. The less the energy you use, the less your body has to use up to fuel it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

I meant I changed from a protein-centered breakfast to whole grain centered breakfast. I wait a little bit to digest and then do my workout. Afterwards I have water and some lean turkey cause I’m hungry, and it’s awhile until lunch.

As I said above, I use a metric digital kitchen scale. I’m not sure how much more precise I could be with weighing my food besides using grams? I cook from scratch and weigh everything and check loads of database entries to find what seems most accurate.

In the month I’ve been doing this, I’ve gained 10lbs! What the heck.

There's a disconnect somewhere and that's what we're trying to help you figure out. It would be difficult to gain 10 lbs in a month with the weighing and measuring accuracy you're describing. What kind of drinks do you like besides water. Can you think about some hidden calories somewhere that might be missing from the equation.