Third Week of Dieting - Gaining Weight?

Options
I'm very frustrated right now. I lost 10 pounds in my first two weeks ( started at 263, got to 252. Most likely water weight ) by exercising 30+ minutes 5 days a week and eating 1200-1400 calories. But now I'm slowly gaining. I've gone from 252 to 255. I never experienced this when I lost 60 pounds back in 2013. Is this a plateau? Am I doing something incorrectly? I'm not due for my period for another 2 weeks, but I'm unsure if it's a product of my body preparing?

Replies

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    how long has it been? fluctuating up and down a few lbs is pretty normal even without periods, if it hasn't been long it could be something salty you ate, a new/more intense workout routine, slower digestion, or just random.
  • MochaFox91
    MochaFox91 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's been about 5 days. I tend to weigh every 5 days to see my progress, but feel fairly discouraged that I have gained. I have felt bloated those five days, strangely. I'm hoping it's something that will pass.
  • MochaFox91
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @janejellyroll - I think around now -is- the time I would ovulate. Perhaps that could be part of the problem?

@HeidiCooksSupper - Hello fellow couch potato! I did put my numbers and information into MFP, and it initially gave me something around 1450 as my max, but now has me down to 1340 due to losing some weight. I'm not an active person ( Working in an office and such doesn't allow for me to get as active as one may enjoy )., so I assume that's why MFP gave me such a low amount?
  • netitheyeti
    Options
    If you're feeling bloated that could easily explain it! Heck, I'm in the high 120s and I've seen my weight spike as much as 5lbs practically overnight if my digestion was slow or I had a large salty meal, or even just randomly sometimes! Just keep an eye on it over time and don't worry about fluctuations, they're perfectly normal, the time to "worry" is when you see a steady upward trend/stall - not these day to day spikes
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    yup; the bloating gave it away - water weight. Hot and humid weather can cause me to gain water weight too.

the 1430 sounds to me to be about right for sedentary settings, depending on your height (I'm tall, so that is about what sedentary would give me) and depending on what weight loss rate you set. But if you used sedentary settings, are you eating back a least a portion of those exercise calories? If you are using MFP's NEAT method and counting yourself as sedentary, then you are supposed to count back exercise calories.

Is the exercise new? That can also cause water retention as the muscles repair themselves.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking for anyone starting is a blood sugar test to rule out insulin resistance.
  • MochaFox91
    Options
    The bloatedness is so uncomfortable too! and to have it for 5ish days is horrendous. Thanks body! I hope it passes soon. I feel pregnant.

I sometimes dip into my exercise calories, though not often. I don't tend to really go past 1300 calories eaten as I just don't seem to get hungry now that I'm keeping track? Before I went onto my journey I would eat -everything- in sight. But now I don't really want to even look at food? Just get in my minimum and call it a day.

I've done this exercise before, but it is technically new as I just started 23ish days ago. Is it normal for the muscles to take a couple weeks before they start repairing? You'd think they would start right with the start of the exercise routine.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    23 days is still a new exercise regime.

I, like so many others on here, can gain 2lb in the course of a day. There will be bumps in your weight loss - that's quite normal. So normal that, if you read enough posts on this forum, you'll regularly see a link to a page about the fluctuations of scale weight. It sounds like you've only recently started tracking though, so wait to see how thing are after another 6 weeks or so. Maybe look at getting a trending app - that'll help you see whether your overall trend is downwards over a longer period of time.

If MFP gave you 1340 calories, that's what you should be eating PLUS your exercise calories - not 1200 or 1300 and definitely not no exercise calories. If you don't feel as hungry, eat something that's calorie dense to bump your numbers. But also, make sure you're weighing everything you eat and are choosing accurate database entries.
  • MochaFox91
    Options
    Call me dumb, which I may be - Don't think I'm smart enough to figure this out, but the general idea is to always eat back what you burn from exercise? I thought it was a good idea to not eat back those calories?
  • netitheyeti
    Options
    some people on mfp eat all of them back, some eat only part (machines/mfp can overestimate your calorie burn - but this is something you can't really know for sure for you personally unless you track your numbers for a while), the issue with not eating back any calories is that it could create a deficit that's too aggressive if you're already eating a low amount to begin with (you could end up feeling tired, hungry, etc)
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    MochaFox91 wrote: »
    Call me dumb, which I may be - Don't think I'm smart enough to figure this out, but the general idea is to always eat back what you burn from exercise? I thought it was a good idea to not eat back those calories?

Maybe this will help - So lets pretend that MFP gave you a goal of 1400 in order to lose weight (note this doesn't include intentional exercise). So you exercise throughout the day and burn 400 calories. This leaves only 1000 calories for your body to live on. It is recommended that women consume more than 1200 calories per day.

Eating back those 400 calories would leave you with 1400 calories which is what MFP gave you to lose weight.

What calorie goal did MFP give you?

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    No questions are silly.

What exercise do you do? If it's walking or running, as long as you know the speed that you walk / run at, MFP is pretty accurate in my experience. If you do anything else, most people's feedback is that MFP overestimates. In that case, pick a percentage (50% or 75% or any number of your choosing in between) and eat that percentage of your exercise calories each day.

Stick to the same percentage. After 6 weeks, look at your weight compared to what it is now. If you're losing as expected, your percentage is accurate. If you're losing faster or slower, adjust accordingly.

The only thing you can safely say is that your exercise burn is not 0%.

Also, unless you've got a lot to lose (more than 50lb), don't think you should be trying to lose at 2lb a week. Although much of it was probably water weight, as you said, losing 10lb in two weeks is very aggressive. If you look at some of the other posts, you'll see a chart that suggests weight loss rate. I think it's 0.5lb a week for 1-20lbs to go and 1lb a week for 21-40lbs. There may be a range where 1.5lb a week is suggested, but I don't know off the top of my head. Unless you are morbidly obese and have been told to drop weight fast, it's far better for your health to lose weight slowly and sensibly.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Some women hold onto or gain while ovulating too, which is 2 weeks roughly before period.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    MochaFox91 wrote: »
    That's fair! I tend to do okay as is, but I can consider trying to eat back some of my exercise calories ( 50%? I hear some do 50-75%. )

Eating back 50%-75% is usually encouraged because anything that tells you how many calories you've burned is just an estimate. Some methods (such as going to a clinic and being hooked up to a machine) can be quite accurate. Others, like going off what a treadmill tells you, can be wildly different. Your body is the only thing that is 100% accurate in terms of how many calories you consume and how many you burn. It keeps track of every single calorie gained or lost.

That's not to say you can't eat 100% of your exercise calories back. Just keep track of your progress. If you eat 100% of your exercise calories and find that after 6-8 weeks, you're not losing at whatever rate you've selected, then eat a smaller percentage of your exercise calories. If you're losing more than you expected to, then you get to eat more calories. The goal is to lose weight at the rate you selected.

• innaa1789
    innaa1789 Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Some women hold onto or gain while ovulating too, which is 2 weeks roughly before period.

^THIS! Wanted to chime in and add that I’ve been logging every day since end of February, and every single cycle I notice a small increase on the scale around the time of ovulation.
    And I agree with others about keeping it going until you have at least 6 weeks of data.