Weighing frozen food

Options
debbiehwa
debbiehwa Posts: 1 Member
Do u weight food when frozen or cooked eg frozen vegetables.

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :)

I weigh all my foods before cooking, so frozen or raw weight. There's some variance of course once cooked, but because I combine a lot of foods it's more practical for me to weigh at the start instead of trying to figure out at the end.
  • digestibleplastic
    digestibleplastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen fruit, and I weigh it frozen. I make sure to remove any large chunks of ice though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen fruit, and I weigh it frozen. I make sure to remove any large chunks of ice though.

Depends on where the ice originates from! :lol:

Roasted meat has more cal per gram than uncooked.

Freezer dried meat also has more cal per gram than uncooked :wink:
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually go off what the package says in the Nutrition Info. For example, I have frozen broccoli that says 20 calories per 1 cup frozen OR 2/3 cup steamed. If it doesn’t specify, I measure after it’s cooked.😄
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto to read the label serving size - if it's to be stored frozen almost all packages give the more accurate frozen serving size weight - which you should be using.
    And then they may give the less accurate for convenience volume measure of cups when cooked - don't use.

They know about how much water was in it when frozen.
    They have know idea how much will be left after you cook it.

It's why pasta is also pre-cooked serving size weight for accuracy.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I personally think that everything should be measured by precooked volume/weight. Cooking anything changes the structure of nearly everything, and can have an effect on it. That is why, for those that indulge, fast food nutrition charts list things as pre-cooked weight (i.e., a McDonald's Quarter Pounder is 4 oz (1/4 lb) before cooking, but may be less than that after cooking.) Just my thoughts.