Insurance incentives?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Does anyone use an insurance health incentive? Our insurance plan gives points for each action you finish and their new round is coming up in July. If you hang in there, you're awarded an L.L.Bean gift card next summer, plus more awards/swag throughout the year.
So is something like this enticing enough for you to commit to, have fun with, encourage you to stay the course?

TBH, I am really struggling to stick to anything now. :( Am gaining all my hard lost pounds(and more) and cannot find the strong mindset I had. I'm hoping having another tangible goal would be helpful.
Any experience you've had I'd love to hear about it. I seriously need the motivation. Thanks!!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m retired now, but my company offered a reduction in health care premium, so yes, I participated. They also gave us a gift card for participating in the yearly screenings.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    We don't have any incentives. I wish we did.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    My health insurance (in Europe) is participating in something with which I could earn points for something. But they require me to use an app for every bit of activity, and are very shady about privacy matters. No thanks. I don't want to have an app active when out and about as it drains the batteries, and nobody gets access to my friends contact details and other things.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wish my company had incentives. I work in healthcare, and the place I work for is owned by a large insurance company. You'd think it would be in their best interest to have healthy employees. As it stands.....our insurance sucks!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    I wish my company had incentives. I work in healthcare, and the place I work for is owned by a large insurance company. You'd think it would be in their best interest to have healthy employees. As it stands.....our insurance sucks!

My brother has a similar issue. The job he has pays well, but the insurance premiums are absolutely ridiculous. His wife recently lost her own insurance, and my brother was telling me yesterday that to add her and the children to his insurance will drive the premium up to over $1500 a month - more than his mortgage payment! And its a high deductible plan!

Absolutely insane. He had it right - wasn't the healthcare act supposed to be making insurance affordable, because how is that remotely affordable? And he's in the middle class catch-22; he makes too much to be eligible for any of the assistance programs but since they are a family of 4, his pay is still modest.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Free gym membership under Medicare w/Silver Sneakers.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »

My brother has a similar issue. The job he has pays well, but the insurance premiums are absolutely ridiculous. His wife recently lost her own insurance, and my brother was telling me yesterday that to add her and the children to his insurance will drive the premium up to over $1500 a month - more than his mortgage payment! And its a high deductible plan!

Absolutely insane. He had it right - wasn't the healthcare act supposed to be making insurance affordable, because how is that remotely affordable? And he's in the middle class catch-22; he makes too much to be eligible for any of the assistance programs but since they are a family of 4, his pay is still modest.

For most Americans, there is no affordable healthcare. And deductibles are outrageous.
    It’s probably going to get worse because of COVID-19. Remember this when making voting decisions.

Yeah, it's a tough situation. I can tell you that a big part of the cost comes down to what medical supply companies charge for their equipment and supplies. If medical supplies and drug costs were more affordable, the cost of healthcare would be more affordable, in turn making insurance more affordable. But, I digress.....
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My employer has since changed insurance companies. But with out previous company, I earned enough points through the wellness program to get a free Ipad. It was pretty exciting.