How can I eat 3000 calories and not feel extremely full

I eat pretty clean but find it hard to consume my caloric maintenance of 3000 calories. I’m 5 foot 10 149 pounds. And about a month ago I picked up cycling on my road bike. I have been riding like a mad man, I love it. But I’m starting to notice a down trend in weight and I’m not really trying to loose weight, I just want to stay the same. A good day I will eat 2700 cals but mainly it’s around the 2500 range. Any tips on foods that help with this that are clean?

Replies

• Jmoney711
    Jmoney711 Posts: 42 Member
    @sardelsa maybe adding in healthy fats would help, I normally use that cooking spray. And pb2 instead of peanut butter. Do you keep your sugar intake below a certain level or no?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I personally do not. I don't track and eat candy as my preworkout so sugar = gains for me :)

I do try to stay away from too much fast food, too high salt and too high fibre since I don't feel my best with those foods.

See for me cooking spray and pb2 I would consider pretty highly processed and typically "unclean" (still not bad but not something I would call natural) so you can see how the definition isn't clear cut.
  • Jmoney711
    Jmoney711 Posts: 42 Member
    Yeah I totally get it, I used those things for weight loss. But now that I’m trying to maintain maybe I should start back using oils, but butter, and avocados. Like you suggested. And I eat a diet pretty high in fiber also and I think that’s part of the reason I’m having trouble eating more.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Check out this thread, it can be helpful for you. See what foods you'd like to add back in and ways to get the cals in

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    If you want to eat clean, wash your food before eating it....

Ok I know I'll get a lot of disagrees for that one haha.

Seriously, if you are losing weight and don't want to, then you aren't eating enough calories. Perhaps add some "treats" in. It doesn't have to be crazy, but if you LIKE foods like chocolate or chips then eat some, just a little to add calories but won't add to the full feeling. I mean life is for living, so have a little more of what ever food is an indulgence for you.

Does it count if I eat it directly off the vine? Asking for a friend..... ;)
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    If you are cycling a lot, have a loaf of Soreen. Its the perfect source of energy for long distance cycling and it will boost your calories. Don't know if it will fit in your "clean" column. also everyone else has pretty much nailed it to hit calories, peanut butter, nuts and avocado's are high in calories and super yummy and they would be in everyone's clean column.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Fat is the easiest way to add calories. If you eat recipes high in fiber as you stated, olive oil is something you can add to most vegetables/legumes when cooking or even raw when serving and it adds calories.
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned drinking more calories.
    Juiced vegetables and fruits, milk, extra cream in your coffee, etc. can add an extra couple hundred calories easily.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    If you want to eat clean, wash your food before eating it....

Ok I know I'll get a lot of disagrees for that one haha.

Seriously, if you are losing weight and don't want to, then you aren't eating enough calories. Perhaps add some "treats" in. It doesn't have to be crazy, but if you LIKE foods like chocolate or chips then eat some, just a little to add calories but won't add to the full feeling. I mean life is for living, so have a little more of what ever food is an indulgence for you.

seriously, this. If you are on a weightlifting cut, trying to maximize protein intake for very minimal calories, than eating "clean" might serve a purpose. If not, it's just kind of silly. There's no reason not to spend those exercise calories on whatever calorie-dense tastiness you'll most enjoy. (like maybe ice cream from a stand on your route if not lactose intolerant/casein sensitive).
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    If your concern is "feeling full" rather than actually hitting the 3k calorie mark, maybe increase your eating frequency but decrease your meal size. Instead of 3 1000 calorie meals, do 5 600 calorie meals, or something like that.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Peanut Butter is a good one to use for hitting targets!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned drinking more calories.
    Juiced vegetables and fruits, milk, extra cream in your coffee, etc. can add an extra couple hundred calories easily.
    Not to mention delectable things like BEER. Plenty of organic microbrews out there these days. In moderation and not just before riding, obviously.