Not enough calories, vitamins or something else?

Options
So I have reduced my caloric intake to 1200/day a little more than a week ago, and the first few days were fine, but I have been experiencing muscle cramping and fatigue with increasing frequency and intensity. Mostly in my calves, but my lower back has been really aching the last couple of days (muscle aches not spinal). I feel like I've been standing up for days when I do something the slightest bit strenuous. I have not changed my daily activity.
I have read from a Cambridge U study that I would have to cut my calories down to about 500/day to actually go into starvation mode and that you only use muscle tissue after all fat stores are gone, which is obviously not the case. So, is it my body using glycogen from the muscles that makes them cramp? If so, why would even that happen when I still have so much fat?
I would think that 1200 cal/day of healthful foods should provide enough vitamins and minerals to not be causing this.
I am Type 2 Diabetic and have PCOS. Is there something I'm forgetting about either of these that could be causing it? There's no way I can start exercising like this. Can anyone please help?

Replies

• sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Not a doctor, but are you drinking enough water?
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you have rest days? Whenever I feel cramp like this I take a day or two off and let my muscles recover and grow.

Good luck finding an answer I would be keen to hear it myself!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Maybe set your weight lose goal to 1/2 lb a week (more calories) and speak to your doctor 1200 is for a small sedentry woman.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's most often dehydration, so make sure you're drinking enough water. Are you exercising and sweating a lot? If so it could be electrolyte imbalance, so drink an electrolyte sports drink after working out.

A quick Google shows me that diabetes sufferers who take insulin may have low potassium levels (one of said electrolytes), which can cause cramps, so again go for the sports drink or try eating foods rich in potassium like bananas, sweet potatoes and apricots.

However, given your underlying medical conditions, I definitely think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor.

Hope that helps!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1200 cals a day may be below your personal resting metabolic weight. It is possible that you're already in starvation mode. I'd recommend getting an accurate assessment to determine your % body fat, % lean muscle mass, and resting metabolic rate so that you can keep a better eye on your progress. If there's a local facility that does BOD-POD testing, I'd look into having doing so.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Thanks to all for your input! I do drink a lot of water. I don't even keep up with how much, I just always have a bottle/cup that I constantly fill. I can easily drink a gallon in 24 hrs.
    The 1200 calories was actually the amount recommended by MFP.
    I hadn't thought of Lytes, and while I'm not insulin dependent (I'm insulin resistant, I make it, my body just doesn't know how to use it), my diet may in fact not be providing enough Potassium. I'll have to check in to the amount in the foods I'm eating.