First Marathon scheduled for October 2020

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    As week two begins, looking at an 8 K Sept 22 and a 5 K Oct 13, for grins and giggles and to have some intermediate goals.
  • pondee629
    Base building continues in week three with 14.71 miles done on the road. Feeling slightly less "slug like".
  • pondee629
    So august is in the books. 61.5 miles for the month; 5 gym days lifting; long run, 5.14; 16 miles for the last week. Progress is slow but being made. Times are slow but improving. Enjoy your Weekend.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Damn. That's a lot of miles without wheels under you!
  • pondee629
    Daughter's Wedding Week is over and only logged 6.5 miles for the week. Lots of walking though, and eating ;-) Time for this Father of the Bride to get back at it.
  • pondee629
    With my Daughter's Wedding now in the rear view mirror, time to get back at it. This week three runs, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (3.35, 4.7 & 5.17) 13.22 miles for the week. It's tough getting back. Times, though improving, are still sluggish. Still with 13 months to go to that planned Atlantic City Marathon
  • pondee629
    Weekly update on my Marathon 2020 quest: 5 days; Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri & Sat, (4.37,
    3.36 ,4.78, 3.38 & 6.03=21.92) for the week. My first 20+ week in a very long time.
  • pondee629
    Another week gone, another week closer, (yet still 54 and 6); 22.3 miles for the week with a long run of 7.07. Should be over 67 miles for the month after today's last run in September. Last two weeks of 22 +/- miles and base building continues.
  • pondee629
    Snag. Not really an injury but more like an aggravation. Not sure what happened but after my 5 mile Monday run, my legs felt real tight and sore. I've been doing my after run stretches and such but still... Perhaps I pushed that run a little too hard at the end. Perhaps I've been pushing myself a little too hard with too many miles too early. Perhaps, after a rest/layoff/recovery week all will be well. After that Monday 5 miles, 2.5 on the dreadmill,(felt OK while running, but stiff and sore thereafter) we'll see how I feel to see if Saturday's long run is still on, how long will still be a question. The loop I plan to do on Saturday has many bailout points depending on how I feel. I'd rather take the week now than a month later
  • pondee629
    Weekly update, still sore and stiff, but Saturday's run, cut short ( 3.38 miles) run at a "felt easy" pace turned into my fastest time of the season for that loop. I sometimes don't understand. 11 miles for the week, so a recovery week. My knee is still kinda sore but moves through it's range of motion. Try another "feels easy" pace run today and see how the knee holds up. Fortunately, 54 week s to go.
  • pondee629
    Knee has not gotten any better and am taking some time off the road. Still a year out from my proposed Marathon but really don't like not running. The only time it doesn't hurt is when I'm running, but afterwards I can tell I'm not doing myself any favors.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    How old are your shoes? When my shoes get worn, I start getting knee pain. That can be from running shoes or my everyday walking around shoes.

If your knee has been hurting for several weeks and it isn't your shoes, then go to a PT and get some exercises that will help strengthen the muscles that support the knee. Watch out for squats and lunges. If they are done wrong, they will make the knee pain worse.
  • pondee629
    So, long story short: I got hurt, I got sick, I got lazy, I got fat, I got disgusted, I got back to work. Starting slowly with rowing and the elliptical, followed by some light lifting. Still time but it's going to be a trial. According to Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme Training program I don't have to get back on the road until 3/22. Prepping for that to happen.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So, long story short: I got hurt, I got sick, I got lazy, I got fat, I got disgusted, I got back to work. Starting slowly with rowing and the elliptical, followed by some light lifting. Still time but it's going to be a trial. According to Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme Training program I don't have to get back on the road until 3/22. Prepping for that to happen.

I wasn't following this before, but so long as you're back at it: I wouldn't wait 3 weeks to start. It's funny how easy it is to fall behind in marathon training.
  • pondee629
    edited April 2020
    OK, so the official start date of my 30 week plan to the 10/18/2020 A.C.Marathon was 3/22/20. Started unofficially on 3/9
    with a 7.75 mile week with two days of rowing in the gym (We all remember gyms, right?).
    Then a 10.5 mile week, no gym work, no wonder why, right? 4 days on the road, long run of 3.17
    Then a 12.55 mile week, 4 days with a long of 3.6;
    Then a 11.19 mile week with a long of 3.6;
    Then a 12.30 mile week with a long of 4.0.
    Scheduled for 4 runs a week gradually increase total distance and that long Saturday run. I figure I've started two weeks ahead, am ahead of the program, but not so aggressive that I'm still uninjured.
    If anyone is interested, I'm keeping a more up to date diary on the Long Distance Runners group.

Registered for the marathon and booked the room for the weekend, paying for both, today.
  • pondee629
    First full month is now done. 17 runs, 54 total miles, long run of 5 miles
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited May 2020
    Congratulations, this is huge!!! I ran my first Marathon in February and the feeling of crossing that finish line is an unbelievably empowering, proud one! It was one of the proudest, most amazing moments of my life behind having my kids, college graduation, and getting married.

I don't have a treadmill and haven't been on one in six years but I can't stand them. To me, it's like saying "I'm a rower" and using a rowing machine after picturing that canoe; it really is just not the same experience.

Lastly, you sound like you have a great plan!!! I don't know you but I'm so happy for you!!! So many of these people here have helped me with great advice. I am running Marathon #2 on September 26th and this time it's a trail run. And yes, I agree with previous poster that you will nail this! Best of luck to you and enjoy it! Last thing, when I went out for my 20 mile training run, I was having second thoughts about even running the Marathon because the 20 mile training run was so difficult for me; I hobbled the last four miles of it. But...on race day the excitement takes over. Training (in my opinion) is so much harder than running the Marathon so if you push through that long training plan (and not too hard), you really will nail this!!!
  • pondee629
    "Training (in my opinion) is so much harder than running the Marathon " This I have experienced first hand. About three years ago i ran a Half Marathon, training on line with a live coach. During training I had to struggle to maintain an 11 minute, or so, mile pace. Came the race and I averaged 10:30. The 10:30 miles felt easier than the training 11 minute miles. \Now I'm just getting my base miles in before I start Hal Higdon's Novice Marathon 18 week Program, around June 14. the race is scheduled for October 18. Thanks for your kind words and support.
  • pondee629
    With week 10, and coincidentally the second full month, ends. For the week; 4 runs, 3.1, 3.5, 3.6 & 6 miles for a rounded total of 16.2 miles and 66 miles for the month on 17 runs. Two more weeks of base building before the novice Marathon training begins. Then we hope the 10/18 race goes on as scheduled.
  • pondee629
    edited June 2020
    Well week 12, and the base building of my Novice Supreme Marathon Plan is over. For the week (Number 12) 4 runs: 3 miles, 3.2, 3.45 & 6. 15.75 total for the week. Higdon's Novice Marathon Training starts next week, Monday, (today) graduation from base building. Hoping the October race stays on. We now start to seriously increase my weekly long run.