43 year old woman starting over...again...looking for motivation & support!

Options
43-year old here and I’m starting over for what feels like the millionth time. I’ve tried the whole “everything in moderation” mindset and while I still believe in that to some degree, I HAVE to start holding myself accountable. I have very little willpower, so I am in desperate need of direction and MFP was successful for me before so I’m trying it again. I feel like I need boundaries where I know what my calorie count & macros are. I’m also cheap so I refuse to spend money on a different plan. :)

Open to accepting like-minded individuals as “friends” because I feel like I need encouragement & motivation.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Motivation and willpower are limited resources. They will run out. You can learn to moderate yourself with food.
    Saying that you can't will throw you right back into the All or Nothing Mindset = All or Nothing Dieting = Rebound weight gain with friends. You can learn to moderate. Master that. Master moderating your portions and you won't ever have to start over again.
  • catjaocbs
    catjaocbs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be your friend but I don't know how to send a request.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Michele7091 I remembered you today. How's it going.
    Tiny steps for tiny feet. Small habits. Big results.

I've drawn my line in the sand with starting over and over and over and I'm speaking only in general here.

Hitting the pause button mentality only builds the skill-set of pausing. It creates a mindset of Life Happens and now I need to quit for awhile. So we think that starting afresh after losing our way will fix everything. It doesn't.

If we don't find a way to take care of ourselves under real life conditions it will never stick. Constant starts and stops actually lay down more tracks in your brain that lead to a lifetime of All or Nothing. We rarely get all and get mostly nothing from it.

Life has no pause button. There is no timeout for life. Life keeps going. We don't get to pause on our families or careers, jobs or taking care of the children and critters. We can't hit a reset, reboot on our jobs or we will get fired. Somehow, we muster up the guts to get out of bed every single day and show UP for the boss.

If you keep on going and tooling along, you will always get something. We don't need to press pause but simply adjust the dials. There's no such thing as a food reset. That's just trendy talk for more slick dieting marketing tricks.

Pain is the precursor to change. It could be back pain, knees, hips, joints, feet or emotional discomfort and pain.
    Pain is there for a reason. It tells us that we have a problem. So let that pain take on some meaning.

Use it. Let that discomfort drive, drive, drive you to make some permanent and lasting changes. Long term weight stability will have some short term discomforts. The trade-off is long term overall quality of life.

There's only choices and consequences. Our choices shape our preferences for the rest of our lives. Learn how to separate feelings from your identity. Don't let those feelings drive your behaviors.

Even in the middle of something awful like we're all going through right now we will benefit from the knowledge we are gaining. Dig deep and uncover the pain that gives you a really big pinch. Uncover it. Expose it.

Turn it all around. Let it drive you and become your passion to find your pathway to overall health and well being.
    When the pain of staying the same becomes greater than staying the same we change.
    Stoke your fire, stoke your passion and let it drive you to do the hard things and get you where you want to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCN6eRVav5k
  • brady7677
    brady7677 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I also 43 and reading your post sounded just like me. Always dieting in some form or another. I’ve started again today on MFP and it would be lovely to have a friend/buddy to keep each other motivated if your up for it xx
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only difference with me is that I'm a year younger, but totally in the same boat. I fine myself doing fine then something will happen and I just eat bad. I definitely need motivation and someone to help keep me on track. It's the late evenings and weekends that get me.
  • stacie5683
    stacie5683 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your post spoke to me on many levels lol. I have desire to loose weight, not a lot of motivation or will power. I'm actually 48 but living a very non active life style at the moment especially since working from home these last 3 months. I tend to go too big when starting to exercise and I generally ending up hurting myself and stopping. I love evening wine. My journey in gaining these last 40 pounds started when I was laid off from a job about 5 or 6 years ago now. I used to be very active in my job and now my job is 100% desk. I'm also less active around my home since my hubby retired 3 years ago. At 48 you do begin to think about your long term health somewhat and I've been really struggling with Acid Reflux. So here I am. I am new too ;)
  • Redmond70
    Redmond70 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me 😁
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Just turned 47 here and all my life have gone up and down
    It’s tough
    Hang in there ....we got this

Kim