The danger of being ahead of the calorie count

Options
paulcaesar67
paulcaesar67 Posts: 45 Member
I walked 8 km this morning and 6.5km this afternoon now I find myself in the familiar position at 330pm of still having 1900 calories room to eat.

This happens to me often where I think I am going to have an awesome calorie differential but then in the evening I get ravenously hungry and undo all my hard work.

Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• paulcaesar67
    Options
    I pre log all my food ahead of time ....if you aren't doing that may I suggest you give it a try

Thsnks for the top. I do pre log my food though. Trouble is I then eat more than I logged knowing I have plenty of room left. That's when I lose all my hard work
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    Hmmm are you measuring everything that goes in your mouth with a food scale ... if not I would suggest you buy one (get one with a tare button) and measure everything .... :) other than that I am lost at suggesting things to help you ...sorry
  • paulcaesar67
    Options
    My wife and I have 2 food scales in the kitchen. Measuring and logging calories isn't the problem. I think you missed the point of my dilemma
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    No I didn't miss your point..... maybe eat light during the day and save most of your calories for the evening
  • paulcaesar67
    Options
    No I didn't miss your point..... maybe eat light during the day and save most of your calories for the evening

My initial post already explained I have done that. I still have 1900 available calories to eat. You missed the whole dilemma and the reason i posted. I was looking for insight into how to not binge eat when i have so many calories available at the end of the day

It's possible i actually need to consume high amounts because my intake has been so low during the day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options

My initial post already explained I have done that. I still have 1900 available calories to eat. You missed the whole dilemma and the reason i posted. I was looking for insight into how to not binge eat when i have so many calories available at the end of the day

It's possible i actually need to consume high amounts because my intake has been so low during the day

Exactly.

If you know you're going to need to eat XXXX amount and you don't pre-load some of those early in the day, then there's nothing wrong with eating 1900 calories at night.

What exactly is the issue? I would probably try to eat bigger meals earlier but it's up to you how you manage your calorie intake.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    "Awesome calorie differentials" are the ones that lead to sustainable weight loss without triggering unmanageable hunger cues (which would happen if you're slogging around for 15km without sensible refueling). Then again, if you're assuming that your "awesome calorie differential" is going to average more than 500 calories/day, you're literally doing too much

QFT
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    If you are too hungry at night maybe shifting when you eat your calories may be helpful. I find it easier to skip breakfast so I have more calories for the evening which keeps me satisfied until bed.

But also if you have 1900 calories to eat at the end one day and are ravenous at the end of the day then it sounds like you just aren’t eating enough. Just aim for a smaller deficit.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I walked 8 km this morning and 6.5km this afternoon now I find myself in the familiar position at 330pm of still having 1900 calories room to eat.

This happens to me often where I think I am going to have an awesome calorie differential but then in the evening I get ravenously hungry and undo all my hard work.

Any advice would be appreciated

I do not understand what you are asking. You plan to eat more than 1900 calories in the evening?
  • Mini_Chonk
    Mini_Chonk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I’m a 5’4” F, sitting at a healthy 125 pounds. One thing I’ve found is that eating more makes it easier to eat less. I can eat less than 600 calories by 7:00 p.m., but by 9:00, I’ll be 300 calories over maintenance, having scarfed down 1,500 calories of the worst kinds of food. By making yourself eat healthy foods earlier in the day, you’ll make it easier to eat less later in the day.
  • paulcaesar67
    Options
    Thanks Mini. You're right I need to get into that habit
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would probably eat more earlier in the day since when I do that I am less hungry at night. I know this because I have a tendency to want to save calories for the evening just in case I'm hungry, but when I do that, I overeat. When I eat them early, I'm much more in control and much less hungry at night.

And I'd plan to have some low calorie foods available for the evening in case I am hungry. I like sugar snap peas. I can munch on a bowl of those with the same mindless, crunchy satisfaction I get from potato chips, but without the caloric damage.
  • allycs85
    allycs85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mfp massively over estimates how many calories we can eat back after exercise. I'd say only eat back maybe 50% of them. Maybe try eating more during the day. Even if you're bringing in the evening it shouldn't make a difference to your journey as you clearly have the calories to do so.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just because you have calories available doesn't mean you HAVE to eat them back. The whole principle of losing weight is to have a caloric deficit. If you are tracking every calorie burned to figure out how much more of them you can put into your body sounds more like an attempt to not lose, but to stabilize your weight. I just ignore the extra calories, and if I happen to go over what my daily goal is, then they are there as a buffer, but I don't add them to my meal plans.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add is, how many calories are you allegedly getting from exercise? That number may be overinflated, and you don't have to eat them all.