Trying to lose Weight and plateau at 140

Options
Hi everyone, not sure what to do. I am Trying to lose last 20 pounds but I just Can’t seem to. Run everyday for at least 5 miles and some days 7 miles. I eat Veggies and I do love rice but I been Eating in small plates and at least 2 or 3 meals a day. I dont Do sodas or coffee just water water water. What else should I do? Thank you to everyone that can give me advise. 👍🥰🥰🥰

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating, and how are you measuring them?

Yes this, calories are what matter for weight loss
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What you eat and how often you eat is going to be less important than the number of calories you're eating overall. Are you tracking your calorie consumption? If so, how many calories a day are you eating and how long has it been since you've lost weight?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, are you eating your exercise calories? Assuming so (as MFP is designed for you to do that), are you eating 100% or a smaller percentage?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You didnt mention if you count calories and eat in a deficit. Do you do that? You can't out exercise eating too much.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you aren’t losing weight (and not gaining weight) then you are eating at maintenance. You didn’t say if you weigh all your food, but I’m guessing you are eating more then you think.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Current weight/height/amount eaten daily/weight change and average deficit achieved 1 week / 2 weeks / 4 weeks / 6 weeks ??? :wink:
  • mmmichaelidis
    mmmichaelidis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Rating

1500 calorie a day, I never eat all my calories, I usually Have 600 left over., I am Measuring my food and eat portion control also using small plates. I have lost about 20 pounds since January but I just Need to lose the last 20 pounds. 😭😤😢
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Rating

1500 calorie a day, I never eat all my calories, I usually Have 600 left over., I am Measuring my food and eat portion control also using small plates. I have lost about 20 pounds since January but I just Need to lose the last 20 pounds. 😭😤😢

How are you measuring your food?
  • mmmichaelidis
    Options
    Scale and measuring cups
  • mmmichaelidis
    Options
    Could it also be salt issue? I love Salt on my salads, avocado, egg etc
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With vague data you can only get vague answers!

Lay out precisely your weight loss history and weight stall timeline. I haven't a clue what "rating" means.
    Be really clear how you are "measuring" your calorie intake.
    Making your food and exercise diary public not private would help enormously.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Healthy weight loss is .5 lbs a week. The minimum you should be eating is 1200 calories, and you should be eating back your exercise calories. Why are you only eating 900 calories a day?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Healthy weight loss is .5 lbs a week. The minimum you should be eating is 1200 calories, and you should be eating back your exercise calories. Why are you only eating 900 calories a day?

Willing to bet that logging errors are the cause of the 900 calories and she's actually eating more than she thinks.
    Without seeing the diary it's hard to tell though.
  • mmmichaelidis
    Options
    That’s probably my issue, I dont eat my exercise calories which is about 700 to 900 calories a day.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Do you use a food scale for all of your solid food? If not, there is bound to be errors. There are many items in the database that are useless. Things like '1 chicken breast' or 'medium banana' or a 'cup' of grapes. If you use entries like that, which do not refer to a specific weight, you don't know how the entry compares to what you're eating.

Do you account for all liquids, condiments, cooking oils? Those can add up. Do you use recipes in the database or create your own? There could be a recipe for spaghetti 1 serving, that is not the same nutritional makeup - or quantity - that you eat. Do you tend to make your own food, or eat food made by others? There is nothing wrong with it - but eating things made by others means you don't really know how much you're consuming in terms of calories. If you're not losing then taking more control over what you consume can be a starting point.

Just examples. If you're not losing, then your logging is not accurate. Its annoying but true. Food scale for everything solid, and choose accurate entries in the database that are based on weight.

Measuring cups/tablespoons: only for liquids.
  • mmmichaelidis
    Options
    Do you use a food scale for all of your solid food? If not, there is bound to be errors. There are many items in the database that are useless. Things like '1 chicken breast' or 'medium banana' or a 'cup' of grapes. If you use entries like that, which do not refer to a specific weight, you don't know how the entry compares to what you're eating.

Do you account for all liquids, condiments, cooking oils? Those can add up. Do you use recipes in the database or create your own? There could be a recipe for spaghetti 1 serving, that is not the same nutritional makeup - or quantity - that you eat. Do you tend to make your own food, or eat food made by others? There is nothing wrong with it - but eating things made by others means you don't really know how much you're consuming in terms of calories. If you're not losing then taking more control over what you consume can be a starting point.

Just examples. If you're not losing, then your logging is not accurate. Its annoying but true. Food scale for everything solid, and choose accurate entries in the database that are based on weight.

Measuring cups/tablespoons: only for liquids.

Thank you for your reply and you make lots of sense, I do create my own recipes and I don't eat food made by others, when I go to friend's house or even my mother in law I eat before I go there, I have learned to do this and it has helped me tremendously. I am using scale but when things are cooked? I guess I should weight them raw, did not know that. I think I know now what I need to do and that is to entry my foods more carefully.

Thank you again for your help and input. :smiley:

• mmmichaelidis
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    In addition to over-estimating exercise calories and under-estimating food calories, your general level of activity outside of actual exercise may be lower (it's kind of an automatic response), and you are burning fewer calories by virtue of being alive with 20# less than when you started. Are you within what the "charts" would call a normal weight range for your height? Have you been eating at a severe deficit for several months? Check this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I will look at this video and thank you again for your input. :smiley: