Over-training??

Options
Hi Friends,
I've been working out 6 days a week now since March when work closed. I feel real good because i'm taking care of me. I've hit a plateau and someone mentioned that i might be over-training. I do my cardio on M,W,F. i do a 30 minute HIIT (1 minute burst/2 minute less intense), followed by an Insanity workout-45 minutes. Some mornings ill do a short jog before that, but not always. On T, TH, SA i lift weights for about 40 minutes, do 30 minutes of leg work and then my Insanity workout-45 minutes. I rest on Sunday. I've been eating clean- lots of fish, chicken, and veges with my cheat meal on Sundays. I'm probably not eating enough either- because i don't seem to be very hungry afterwards. I don't like to eat back my calories, but i try to keep close to the 1200 mark. I'm just trying to get off my last 5 pounds and seemed to have plateaued. Am i doing too much? Thanks :)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are doing a lot of high impact, high intensity cardio. HIIT and insanity? Insanity is like full out intense work, unless you modify or take breaks. I would think you wouldn't have enough recovery time and you would feel sore and tired. But if not, then I guess it's ok and you aren't over training. If your lifts aren't improving, I would cut back on the HIIT and maybe do low to mid intensity steady state cardio instead.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would spend a week eating back all u you lie exercise calories and see what happens. It’s unlikely you’ll gain. It doesn’t sound like you have much “extra” but sometimes jumping up the intake and then bringing back to where you prefer it can help.
    I am also curious about this overtraining suggestion and what brought it on. At the same time, as much as I love working out, the intensity level and frequency of your workouts looks like it could be very high. If you’ve been maintaining that level for the last two and a half months, it is possible to overtrain. Are you symptomatic toward over training? What do you think? How are your fatigue levels? How are sleeping? How much extra energy do you have for anything outside of working out? Just some thoughts to consider.
  • lrichiefitness
    lrichiefitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your cardio is crazy high, which is fine, but keep in mind that cardio benefits are different than strength training benefits. Maybe you aren't lifting heavy enough during your strength sessions. What kind of reps/sets are you doing? If you're thinking gaining muscle will make you "bulky"...simply just isnt the case. Strength training will increase metabolism by increasing muscle mass, making it easier to burn more calories over time. Insanity is one of those workouts that can lead to skinny fat issues. It depends if you are doing it faster or not, as it can cause muscle wasting if you are fasted and not taking in enough carbs or at least some BCAA's while doing it.

• fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think weight and overtraining are separate issues. There's been some great threads on the signs of overtraining. The most two important signs are do you dread working out? Also, is your resting HR (when you first wake up) elevated. If so to one or both, back off for a few days and then start back up. Overall, you're not doing too, too much (seems like a good routine). HIIT 3X per week, if really driving your HR up to 90% max, is a lot. If you're not sure it's 90% of max, it's likely not real HIIT.

Eating too little is a fallacy. Seems like you're alluding to "starvation mode" which isn't a real thing.

The last five pounds take accuracy in everything you put in your mouth, no cheat days and really being honest with food measurements. How much is the last five pounds worth? Is it an arbitrary stretch number that's just important to you? Is it realistic?

Thank you for this. Ive heard so much about "Starvation mode" and unless i become like tom hanks in castaway- i can't see that happening. During Lent I was clean eating with just veges and legumes. I was only getting in about 700 calories a day. everyone told me thats not healthy and told me more about starvation mode and killing my metabolism. im sure it wasn't the right way to lose weight, but i felt good. And yes the last 5 pounds are worth it. You don't run a marathon and stop before the finish line. It does sound silly, but its just an old personal goal. It is realistic and isnt going to put me in an unhealthy BMR. Im just wondering if my body just doesn't want to lose any more. But thank you for your imput. :-)
  • fancyface1955
    Options
    I think you've got two separate things to consider: First is the stalled weight loss. How long has it been since you've lost weight?

The second thing to consider is whether or not it's good for you to work out this much and eat so little. 700 calories a day isn't safe. If continued long enough, it will result in harm. Eating 1,200 a day while being very active will also result in harm. And eating just vegetables and legumes -- even at a reasonable calorie level -- is unlikely to result in you getting enough fat, which will also be harmful. Intense activity is literally tearing up parts of yourself and then rebuilding them. You need materials to rebuild -- that's food.

There's nothing inherently wrong with working out six days a week. I exercise just about every day myself. But I'm also taking that exercise into account when I'm deciding how much to eat. That's what people who are serious about fitness and manage to make it a long term thing do - people who push too hard and don't feed themselves wind up getting exhausted or injured and they wind up being people who used to exercise.

The thing to know is that pushing yourself hard and eating too little can *feel* really good in the short term. I've felt amazing doing it, right up to the point where you crash and burn. That temporary sensation of feeling good can trick us into thinking we're actually doing something healthy for ourselves. If your goal is to lose five more pounds, you don't just want to hit it and then bounce back, right? You want this to be something you achieve and manage to maintain. [/quote]

My weight has been up and down since March. I clean eat all week and as soon as i eat a cheat meal on Sunday it seems my hard work goes out the window. I like the clean eating, but i dont want to continue this way all the time. I want to be able to eat the things i enjoy and not feel guilty over it. Years ago i did Jenny Craig and was told that 1200 calories was a safe goal to lose weight and it worked. So i still use that as a guide and logging my food here on MFP helps a lot too. I know that for the amount of exercise im doing i should be eating more- especially with weight lifting. But im afraid to eat more and gain all my weight back. Even though i know what im eating is healthy, i continue to gain. I know its not just muscle because my pants don't fit. if im not hungry, i don't eat.
    I have a friend who is a serious lifter and he eats over 2000 calories a day! that blows my mind and would never eat all that. Im never that hungry. Im trying out different meal plans to see what might work for me. I know the 700 calories isn't the way to go and no i don't want to lose just to gain it back again. I know i need to come to terms with some things and not be afraid to eat. Now i'm focusing on get in 3 meals with 3 snacks in between. Maybe you can share a meal plan/strategy that might help. Thank you :-)
  • cmentis182
    cmentis182 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am 155 cm, 100 pounds and those 45 minute insanity workout easily burns about 300+ calories even if I am not giving my 100%. They are full blown workouts themselves. Your endurance must be impeccable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, as far as Jenny Craig giving you a 1,200 calorie goal, that's based on Jenny Craig's methodology and their goal of getting people to drop weight quickly and not necessarily sustainably. It's designed for their purposes, not with your best interest in mind. When I think of the people I know in real life and here who are successfully maintaining, not one of them did it through Jenny Craig. Does that mean nobody has? Well, I'm sure there are some people . . . but don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's the only way or even the best way to get where you want to be.

Most women find that they can eat more than 1,200 calories while losing weight, especially when they're active. Like mentioned above, 2,000 isn't some crazyhigh amount -- it's actually a little under what I maintain on (I'm at about 2,100 a day right now).

It's very common for people to see what they think is real weight gain after a "cheat meal" or day, but that's probably just your body reacting to more sodium, carbohydrates, or just more food in your body than you usually have. That doesn't mean your work is "out the window." It's true that many people don't find the "cheat meal" to be useful (I don't do it myself). I prefer to eat a variety of foods that I enjoy daily so I never really feel the need for a "cheat." This doesn't mean I still don't see something surprising on the scale (if I go out and eat a high sodium meal, for instance, I still notice I weigh more the next day but I know it's just a blip and I ignore it). But I do get to skip the feeling of eating more than I want one day each week and then feeling like I'm having to make up for it for the next six days by too much restriction, therefore leading me to NEED that cheat meal each week . . . it's a negative cycle for a lot of people, you know?

I would encourage you to think about ways in which you'd feel comfortable eating for the rest of your life. What calorie-dense foods don't mean that much to you and you'd be fine having rarely or never? Which ones do you want to have more often? What way of eating makes you feel the best (I'm talking about your body, but also the feelings of enjoyment you have while eating)? Are there food traditions or rituals that are important to you? Once I figured all that out, planning my meals became easier. I figured out that it's pretty easy for me to reduce the amount of oil I use while cooking, but I really love eating meals made with full fat coconut milk. I rarely want anything like juice or full sugar soda, but I like to have a glass of wine with dinner. Rice is something that I only want to make room for sometimes, but I adore bulking up a meal with roasted vegetables. I love cake, but I'm fine with only having it 3-4 times a year as long as it's really excellent. If you start paying attention, I bet you can come up with a similar list for yourself.

That's my meal strategy -- find the meals that make you genuinely happy and feel good physically and focus on eating those. Let go of the strictness about "good" and "bad" foods. Yes, some foods have more calories than others and some have more nutrients. We have to consider that when planning our meals, but that doesn't mean we can't sometimes choose higher calorie foods or foods that have fewer nutrients.
  • fancyface1955
    Options

My weight has been up and down since March. I clean eat all week and as soon as i eat a cheat meal on Sunday it seems my hard work goes out the window. I like the clean eating, but i dont want to continue this way all the time. I want to be able to eat the things i enjoy and not feel guilty over it. Years ago i did Jenny Craig and was told that 1200 calories was a safe goal to lose weight and it worked. So i still use that as a guide and logging my food here on MFP helps a lot too. I know that for the amount of exercise im doing i should be eating more- especially with weight lifting. But im afraid to eat more and gain all my weight back. Even though i know what im eating is healthy, i continue to gain. I know its not just muscle because my pants don't fit. if im not hungry, i don't eat.
    I have a friend who is a serious lifter and he eats over 2000 calories a day! that blows my mind and would never eat all that. Im never that hungry. Im trying out different meal plans to see what might work for me. I know the 700 calories isn't the way to go and no i don't want to lose just to gain it back again. I know i need to come to terms with some things and not be afraid to eat. Now i'm focusing on get in 3 meals with 3 snacks in between. Maybe you can share a meal plan/strategy that might help. Thank you :-)

2000 calories is actually a paltry amount if he's a serious lifter. I'm 45 yoa, 5'9, female, and my maintenance calories are ~2400 calories per day.

If you are eating 700 calories per day (or even 1200) with that much exercise, your body cannot sustain that for long. You're going to have some serious health repercussions, hair loss, brittle nails, even heart failure is possible.

You say you gain as soon as you have a cheat meal. That's water weight, not fat gain. Read this article...

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

My suggestion - use a food scale. Weigh and log everything that passes your lips (including those cheat meals). Make sure you are eating AT LEAST 1200 calories, PLUS exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Thank you for this. I live out off my measuring cups and food scale so i can log everything. My cheat meal on sunday is hard to log especially when its something home made. But i log it. Thats usually the only time im at high calories. And I never eat back my exercise calories. I worked so hard to burn them. im trying to fit in snacks in between my meals, butit means eating when im not even hungry. I know i need to come to terms with my food issues and not be afraid to eat. I appreciate your help and the articles. Thank you. :-)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

2000 calories is actually a paltry amount if he's a serious lifter. I'm 45 yoa, 5'9, female, and my maintenance calories are ~2400 calories per day.

If you are eating 700 calories per day (or even 1200) with that much exercise, your body cannot sustain that for long. You're going to have some serious health repercussions, hair loss, brittle nails, even heart failure is possible.

You say you gain as soon as you have a cheat meal. That's water weight, not fat gain. Read this article...

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

My suggestion - use a food scale. Weigh and log everything that passes your lips (including those cheat meals). Make sure you are eating AT LEAST 1200 calories, PLUS exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Thank you for this. I live out off my measuring cups and food scale so i can log everything. My cheat meal on sunday is hard to log especially when its something home made. But i log it. Thats usually the only time im at high calories. And I never eat back my exercise calories. I worked so hard to burn them. im trying to fit in snacks in between my meals, butit means eating when im not even hungry. I know i need to come to terms with my food issues and not be afraid to eat. I appreciate your help and the articles. Thank you. :-)

What does the bolded mean? Do you have an ED? That is important information that may change the answers you get from people.
  • fancyface1955
    Options
    Hmm. im not sure why some comments are in bold. i didnt type them that way. i thought it was people commenting on those parts of my posts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Hmm. im not sure why some comments are in bold. i didnt type them that way. i thought it was people commenting on those parts of my posts.

If you mean the things that are bolded in your posts when someone replies to you, it's because the person replying bolded that part to highlight it - to point out the main point(s) they were commenting on. It's common around here to do that, but I can see how it would be confusing at first.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    OP
    Based on all your replies I would suggest you don’t try and lose any more weight at the moment.

It doesn’t seem like you are achieving a sustainable balance between eating and exercise. Try and figure out what is sustainable and will make you happy long term. This is the priority for maintaining a weight loss as opposed to yo yo dieting and rebound.
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2020
    Options

I bolded it when I quoted you. And you didn't answer my question. Do you have, or had in the past, an ED?
  • fancyface1955
    Options
    I bolded it when I quoted you. And you didn't answer my question. Do you have, or had in the past, an ED?[/quote]

Sorry. Yes i was "B" when i was 14 if you can call it that. It didn't even last a month because i couldn't handle doing it. And my dr caught on right away. i didn't lose any weight at all. At times i still feel like i have "food issues" because i tend to over eat if we got out to eat or to a party. I like good food and at times its hard to say no- especially to desserts. Luckily I don't have any urges to purge. I lost the majority of my weight years ago from eating just 3 small meals and working out a lot. I lost 20 pounds and never gained it back. This was in 1994. Ive lost 5 pounds here, 10 pounds there for weddings i was a part of and my own wedding. i lost a total of 40. There are times when Im afraid that im leaning towards "A" because im afraid to eat more food, but then i can totally turn around and pig-out at the next BBQ. Overall im happy where im at. i probably don't need to lose anymore weight. Its just tightening up my trouble spots that i feel will never go away. Im still flabby in my lower stomach and thighs. I don't know if this is just loose skin that won't firm up without surgery? Ive been busting my butt working out 6 days a week for the last 3 months (being stuck at home) because i finally had the time to focus on me and make a better me I don't see much of a difference, but my arms are getting defined and my legs are finally starting to tighten. I just want to feel happy and comfortable in my own skin.

Thank you for listening :-)

• quiksylver296
    Options
    If you feel like you are leaning towards "A", I seriously urge you to talk with a therapist or an ED team. You need intervention that random people on the internet cannot provide.

I wish you all the best and hope you succeed!!!