Strength

Options
Anyone do strength training here? I wanna take my bench press to 140kg for 10 reps by the end of the year. Currently doing 110kg for 10 reps, any recommendations on training and diet?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Would be helpful knowing your programming and trading history.

A 30kg jump for ten rep scheme in six months.

So roughly putting 50kg/115llbs on your 1RM in a six month period.

Safe to assume you are training geared and are in top percentile of responders to strength training correct?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Safe to assume you are training geared and are in top percentile of responders to strength training correct?

I'd like some of that, too! Serve it up, @chieflrg! But no gear, kkthx.
  • theroyalbengaltiger33
    theroyalbengaltiger33 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I got upto 130kg for 5 reps pre corona lockdown, didn't train for 2 months (didn't eat well) and lost strength, could only do 90kg for 5 post lockdown. It's been like a month back into training and I can do 110kg for 10 reps now.

But I don't really train strength, for the past 2 weeks I've been doing bench pressing every 6 days.
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The thing about our body is once we have adapted to something, it's fairly easy to replicate tje measurement in relative short period of time. So it's not surprising to me that you jumped back half way to where you were in only a month of training. Especially with zero stress accumulated to the CNS. You had a empty stress tank which is a lot different than 6 months of training and stress.

It we calculate your e1rm based on the two measurements
    110kg X 10= 148.8kg
    130kg x 5 = 150.6kg

So in one month you gained a little less than 2kg of strength when measured to a e1rm. Although they were two different rep schemes, this gives us a measurement that is relative . I wouldn't say that is a sensitive or robust gain compared to someone that took off training for months if that makes sense?

I would be highly suspicious of the means that your goal could be obtained unless you were rank untrained and a freak responder to training.

That being said, let me know how things go and I sure would be interested in seeing your programming :smile: as well as your progress.

• Chieflrg
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'd take just10% of that in six months and would have to pee in a cup every meet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I'd takejust10% of that in six months and would have to pee in a cup every meet.

Yeah, same. :laugh:
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer. Since the Y is closed, I have developed three alternating workouts. I have found a great Barre workout online that is total body. Then I made up my own using weights, bands and kettle bells. I also do a workout using an EZ Shaper Pro that I also found on line.
  • theroyalbengaltiger33
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The thing about our body is once we have adapted to something, it's fairly easy to replicate tje measurement in relative short period of time. So it's not surprising to me that you jumped back half way to where you were in only a month of training. Especially with zero stress accumulated to the CNS. You had a empty stress tank which is a lot different than 6 months of training and stress.

110kg X 10= 148.8kg
    130kg x 5 = 150.6kg

So in one month you gained a little less than 2kg of strength when measured to a e1rm. Although they were two different rep schemes, this gives us a measurement that is relative . I wouldn't say that is a sensitive or robust gain compared to someone that took off training for months if that makes sense?

I would be highly suspicious of the means that your goal could be obtained unless you were rank untrained and a freak responder to training.

That being said, let me know how things go and I sure would be interested in seeing your programming :smile: as well as your progress.

I don't think those 1rm is very accurate. The formulas they use for to calculate 1rm from 10rm overshoots it a bit I'm pretty sure.

I am only aiming for those numbers of 140 for 10reps because I have previously before reached 130kg for 5 reps got there in 6 months from 70kg for 10 reps (and it was not even my best effort for 6 months but there were benefits of being classified as "detrained" ).

You are correct on the gains slowing down when your at the higher end of the strength spectrum, but I believe it is very possible with correct training, diet and lifestyle.

With a more strategic approach to having a bench heavy training programme, I think it is absolutely possible.

That being said, 6 months is a very long time to be consistent with all three training, diet and lifestyle. Not many can sustain the load for 6 months.
  • theroyalbengaltiger33
    Options
    I am a personal trainer. Since the Y is closed, I have developed three alternating workouts. I have found a great Barre workout online that is total body. Then I made up my own using weights, bands and kettle bells. I also do a workout using an EZ Shaper Pro that I also found on line.

good one
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Jeez, took me 2 years to move from 245 x 10 to a messy, bouncy, butt hovering, 315 x 1... you figure out how to advance that quickly without gear, let me know. ;)
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2020
    Options

110kg X 10= 148.8kg
    130kg x 5 = 150.6kg

I don't think those 1rm is very accurate. The formulas they use for to calculate 1rm from 10rm overshoots it a bit I'm pretty sure.

I am only aiming for those numbers of 140 for 10reps because I have previously before reached 130kg for 5 reps got there in 6 months from 70kg for 10 reps (and it was not even my best effort for 6 months but there were benefits of being classified as "detrained" ).

You are correct on the gains slowing down when your at the higher end of the strength spectrum, but I believe it is very possible with correct training, diet and lifestyle.

With a more strategic approach to having a bench heavy training programme, I think it is absolutely possible.

That being said, 6 months is a very long time to be consistent with all three training, diet and lifestyle. Not many can sustain the load for 6 months.

I'm using RPE to estimate, so it is fairly accurate for argument sake hence why I said it's still relative or close enough for the purpose of your goal set. I'm also basing it off your personal data which leans more towards more accuracy for you as a individual.

Of courser if you want to post a video of a current 5rm and 10 rm from different weeks, I would hazard my estimate is within 2.5kg give or take of total strength of both rep schemes

If you train 10rep more often of course you will be stronger at 10 reps or train 5 reps more...stronger at 5 reps, etc...

One thing is certain it difference of doing a extra rep from a 5 rep scheme is harder than doing a extra rep from a ten rep scheme. Hence why we can't simply take 5 rep max data and transfer it to 10 reps without some way of estimating. You giving data of both makes it pretty easy to get in the ball park if that makes sense.

Like I said science says it's near impossible, but even if you gain half the amount targeted, you will be top percent of the world as far a responding. I'm certainly interested in your training history and programming as I mentioned previously. If you care to post your training history with logs and current programming...I'd be interested in viewing. Also like to know if you are planning on training geared as that makes a huge difference in the probability of responding quicker.
  • theroyalbengaltiger33
    Options

110kg X 10= 148.8kg
    130kg x 5 = 150.6kg

I'm using RPE to estimate, so it is fairly accurate for argument sake hence why I said it's still relative or close enough for the purpose of your goal set. I'm also basing it off your personal data which leans more towards more accuracy for you as a individual.

Of courser if you want to post a video of a current 5rm and 10 rm from different weeks, I would hazard my estimate is within 2.5kg give or take of total strength of both rep schemes

If you train 10rep more often of course you will be stronger at 10 reps or train 5 reps more...stronger at 5 reps, etc...

One thing is certain it difference of doing a extra rep from a 5 rep scheme is harder than doing a extra rep from a ten rep scheme. Hence why we can't simply take 5 rep max data and transfer it to 10 reps without some way of estimating. You giving data of both makes it pretty easy to get in the ball park if that makes sense.

Like I said science says it's near impossible, but even if you gain half the amount targeted, you will be top percent of the world as far a responding. I'm certainly interested in your training history and programming as I mentioned previously. If you care to post your training history with logs and current programming...I'd be interested in viewing. Also like to know if you are planning on training geared as that makes a huge difference in the probability of responding quicker.

Been training since I was 15 but started tracking my training with a Polar H10 chest strap monitor from about mid 2018. I was very skinny when I started (45kgs) then peak was 95kgs. Not all trainings are recorded (sometimes ill forget my monitor), but most of it are. At least it indicates when my peak training periods are.

Never really been proper consistent, I'll go hard for 2 weeks and fuk it all up untill around October of 2019 where I weighed in at 80kgs and could only bench 70kg for 10 reps. End of March 2020 I was 94kgs and could bench press 130kg for 5 reps. Post lockdown I lost weight to 86.5kgs around end of April/mid May and was benching only 80 kg for 10 reps (I hadn't touched the bench press in like 3 months). Now I can barely hit 110kg for 10 reps, going to benching again today (hopefully I hit it comfortably). I'm up to 89kg bodyweight now.

Here is a bar graph screenshot of my trainings since 2018 with calories burned as variable.

mjuq2rcziwaz.png

Here is a underworked chest day (usually I'll do a bit more but gym was closing so hard to be fast)

"Chest and Triceps

Warm up - Shadow Boxing focus hooks, warm up rotator cuffs. Push up 3 sets of 15 focused with a plus.

Chest press machine - Low weight 5 sets with 10 kg plates each side, Tricep unilateral pushdown cable, Cable internal rotations neutral grip.

Bench Press, superset with tricep dip on bench 12 reps
    1 x15 with bar
    2 x 12 with 60
    1 x 10 with 80
    1 x 8 with 90
    3 x 5 with 100
    1 x 8 with 100
    Bench press with a plus
    3 x 12 with 6

Incline dumbbell press (Neutral Grip), Tricep kickback superset with 8kg 12 reps

3 x 12 with 30

Stretch chest and tricep "

Here is a day of overeating, usually I'll burn about 1000 calories in training but yesterday decided to rest.

m5uloh4dkhed.png

Let me know what you think and what I could adjust.