I binged again, around 4000 calories. I don’t know what to do.

Options
5 foot 10, 155 pound male and in my early 20s, I’m very active, and normally eat around 2500 to 3000 calories. Yesterday I ate 3200 calories and today I’m probably upwards of 4 thousand calories. I don’t know why I get hungry like I haven’t had food for weeks. Any tips of how to eat less and kick these hunger pangs. I hate feeling fat and bloated. Is it normal for someone my age to eat like this? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Replies

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    that sounds like overeating not a 'binge'. those are two completely different things. i see the word binge thrown around here quite often. binge eating or BED is a serious eating disorder that requires professional intervention. are you asking for help with an eating disorder?
  • youknowigotitonlock
    youknowigotitonlock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometime I just feel as if I cannot eat enough, it’s hard to explain. Fit in a lot of oats and lean meats and vegetables. But I do have some foods that are not so healthy like protein bars or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, granola and cereal. I feel like those foods trigger me into wanting to eat more. I guess. And in terms of what my “goals” are I’m not really sure at this point. I’ve lost a lot of weight, I used to weigh 200 pounds and everyone I look great my family doesn’t want me to loose any more weight. But my goal was around 145-148 ish.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @psychod787 yeah I guess I could start lifting, I’ve always been a huge cardio guy especially in the wake of the whole covid outbreak. I may need to look into some at home workouts to start building muscle.

Nerd fitness has a bunch of great stuff. Even if you focus on just implementing some of their body weight work that they have available, you will notice your cardio will benefit. (Numbers distance goals etc). Worth a shot.

If you want to lose the extra lbs bc you’re trying to lean out then maybe you need to focus on recomp to get you closer to your goals.

On your overeating: could it be connected w the type of cardio you are doing or a particular work out style (hiit) or distance or time that you’re hitting. When I run 5 miles, I’m usually bottomless the day after. There are ways I can mess w that to make it better. And def keto has helped me in that area. But possibly there is an association.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I forgot: the last ten are supposed to be the hardest. They can take quite a bit longer. Youve done good so far. Don’t beat yourself up over one night.
  • coolblackcat
    coolblackcat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    But I do have some foods that are not so healthy like protein bars or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, granola and cereal. I feel like those foods trigger me into wanting to eat more. I guess.

When I was younger I ran a lot and I ate about the same calories as you but I never felt full, I was losing weight too aggresively depriving myself and I was hungry very often. I was having huge cravings that led to binge eating.

Nowadays I adjusted my nutritional plan so I fell full all the time to avoid cravings/binge eat, even if I am losing weight slowly so far it has worked for me.

Maybe try reeplacing those trigger foods with other snacks that fill you better and you can more easily consume in moderation and look for some tips on appetite managament https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/really-hungry#1
  • youknowigotitonlock
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, this means a lot.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Changing your MFP set-up to Maintenance, combined with doing some weights, sounds like a good idea.

But one thing that no-one asked is whether you've been eating your exercise calories? If your activity level in the MFP set-up is correctly based on your normal day-to-day and then you're doing a lot of cardio on top of that, are you tracking that exercise and eating those calories? If not, you should be.
  • youknowigotitonlock
    Options
    I do not normally eat back exercise calories I always just ate to what MFP says my maintenance caloric intake is. Reasons for this is because I feel like it’s hard to accurately track expenditure.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I do not normally eat back exercise calories I always just ate to what MFP says my maintenance caloric intake is. Reasons for this is because I feel like it’s hard to accurately track expenditure.

To determine your weekly rate of change you should take your weight from 6 weeks ago and today and then divide by 6 to see if you are going up, down, or remaining about the same. If you are still going down over 1 pound per week you are not eating enough.