Intermittent Fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    IF is a great way to get your body near ideal body weight without much work. True IF doesn't require calorie restriction although it is more difficult to fit in a lot of calories,thus assist with limiting calories. There is a freedom with IF that is refreshing. You aren't tied to a feeding schedule every 2 to 4 hours with sugar spikes and then blood sugar lows with moodiness or hanger pains. After doing it 2 weeks you will get used to it. You won't get hungry easily. You will also have a mental clarity because of the stimulus of phagocytosis, the cleaning of cellular debris, from cellular metabolism that occurs naturally. Incidentally, this is part of a mental, or dementia, decline treatment to fast a minimum of 12 hours. Biologically, we were never able not meant to continually put food in our bellies. This causes pancreatic burnout from constant insulin release to keep the blood sugar in parameter.
    My personal experience is mixed. I became stronger in my lifts and did better with workouts. I felt great mentally and didn't suffer frm hunger or cravings. However, I may have gained a little weight. I'm 6ft and wanted to get under 190lbs but went up to 205 and now the recent high of 211, my most ever. I think it works great for those in the 50lb plus overweight category but boot so much if you're near IBW. I think it's worth a harmless try.

So much misinformation that it's just not worth responding. But the bolded is just patently false. Interesting first post...
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    IF is a great way to get your body near ideal body weight without much work. True IF doesn't require calorie restriction ... My personal experience is mixed. I became stronger in my lifts and did better with workouts. I felt great mentally and didn't suffer frm hunger or cravings. However, I may have gained a little weight....

So you didn't count calories on IF and you gained weight.

Most people with weight/obesity issues can consume entire days worth of calories in an hour. No food window can stop the onslaught of weight gain just on time limitation alone, unless it was like 90 seconds.

There may be some "purist" form of IF out there w/o calorie counting, but a visit to the big IF board, reddit's r\intermittentfasting, will show that 95+ % of people doing IF are doing it in conjunction with strict calorie counting (and, often, serious work out regimens).

IF without calorie counting is kind of 2015 IF. People have moved on from that, for the most part.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Many confuse TRE Time Restricted Eating for Intermittent Fasting. Intermittent means irregular intervals.

Generally speaking, Intermittent Fasting is a short term solution for a long term problem. I don't aim to shame but intermittent fasting won't change an emotional relationship with food. In the long run, it will make it worse.

It results in eating it all back and throwing all caution to the wind. You end up eating way more than if you would've enjoyed your food and simply moderated your portions.

So much of this stuff is mental. IF has become so cliche and filled with inconsistencies that I can barely say the words outloud. There is a better way. Throw all of that dieting dogma out the window.

After many have eaten it all back they return to the scene of their original crime. They double down on the method that gave them the greatest amount of weight loss and ride that merry-go-round again and again and again. They believe if they really give it all they've got by just giving it one more perfect try that the weight loss will never ever come back. Until it does...

Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Rebound weight gain with friends.

Changing cognitive behaviors and habits is hard. It takes time and changing some mindsets.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, Intermittent Fasting is a short term solution for a long term problem. I don't aim to shame but intermittent fasting won't change an emotional relationship with food. In the long run, it will make it worse.
    So it is impossible to "change an emotional relationship with food" if you routinely skip breakfast and sometimes skip lunch? Got it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That's generally referred to as OMAD and many OMAD'rs eat all of their food in the evening. I don't do that.

For the most part, even talking about IF gives everyone a great big pinch. I get it. ;)
    I don't practice IF. Never have. Never will. That is all.