exercise advise - worn out knees!

Options
hi all,

just after some advise on what sort of exercise to do - am overweight (no surprise there) by quite a bit (maybe 8 stones) and my knees are knackered after carrying this weight for so long.....
Dont have money for a gym etc, no way I'm swimming at this size and so I'm looking for suggestions of alternatives? Trying to walk more often, play with kids at the park etc but know I need to do more......
Any thoughts ?

Cheers all

Replies

• themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    keep up walking!!! it's such a good workout :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are properly fitted for sneakers, it will mean a world of difference to your knees!
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    recumbant bikes and maybe an arm bike?
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'd bit the bullet and swim if you have access to a pool. Water aerobics, plain swimming or some exercises in the pool are the least taxing on the joints. Exercise bikes, either upright or recumbent are best. Floor exercises that can be done on the bed are good too. I'm having my first knee replacement next week. and I've tried all of the above. The pool is best.

Good luck!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hula hoop?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    biking.

My dad had a really bad car accident that destroyed his left knee. He gained a bunch of weight when he quit smoking too.

He took up cycling, and he lost a ton of weight. He started doing races and holds one record.
  • hosegirl
    Options
    Get an excercise ball. use a wall that has clearance. I use the doorway or archway in our house. Place behind your back. lower yourself as far as you think you can go. Don't push it. then bring your self back up. Do this in 10 reps 3 times ( if you can.) Get a excercise band set and use them. Most come with their own directions. These can build up your nmuscle strength. Keep walking
  • iowaiceman
    Options
    Don't overdue the walking or you might have more knee trouble.For now just watch your calorie intake.Thats all I have done so far and lost 26 lb.s in 2.5 months without any workout.In time you will have more energy and your knee's might feel better,then you could walk more. Goodluck
  • raefost
    raefost Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    just be more active, swimming would be great as it will support your body as it strengthens, you'll be worrying far more than anyone else, once your in the water its liberating. walking is also good, gradually increasing the distance and time. just don't try to do too much too soon. I'm sure you didn't get where you are overnight so don't expect to loose it overnight.
    Good luck with whatever you do.
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am severly overweight myself and also have problems with my knees. I have been walking 30 minutes a night, atleast 5 times a week and the knees are increasingly getting better. Start out at a pace that is comfortable for you and just push it a little more each time. Last night I mixed up my walking with short stretches of jogging and of course my knee was angry this morning, but once I got up and walked around it has subsided. I can feel my knees getting better in just the 10 pounds I have lost so far. ( I started my weight loss before discovering MFP).

I tried gyms and I just feel very uncomfortable exercising in front of that many people...I know that is psychological, because I am sure no one ever paid attention to me. If you have a dog, leash him up and go! We take our doggie with us. I like walking him because he makes me walk faster.

I hope any of this is encouraging to you! We are only doing better for ourselves! Good luck to you!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you on this. After running for years, my knees had enough, so I had to figure out different exercises. I use a low impact glider. I also use the kettle bell, weights (for arms), do sit-ups. I used to use a treadmill, too. Walking is a great exercise and won't put stress on your knees.
    Good luck for whatever you decide to do.
  • ranieprice
    Options
    Weight training and keep walking.
  • darsh11
    Options
    I would suggest walking, stationary bike, and the best exercise is swimming, Swimming is the only no impact exercise. I know the thought if putting on a bathing suit is scary, but who cares what others think you are making the change for yourself not them.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've got bad knees. I cycle 20 miles a day and I only feel them very slightly. Also burns about 900 calories a day!! As long as your seat is fitted well to your legs you'll feel no leg pain. As someone said above though, proper shoes for walking, and if you can manage it go swimming.. you'll be surprised that there are others there in the same boat. Once you've been once you won't mind. I don't think I've ever even noticed someone was large unless I've deliberately looked for it. Everyone is too busy swimming in their own world!
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues and have 120 pounds to lose. I don't know how that relates to stones but I am assuming it is relatively the same. I walk in the pool. Who cares what they think - at least I am trying to do something about it.
    I also use a mini - trampoline to walk when watching tv. The third thinkg I do is ride a stationary bike - helps strengthen the side knee muscles. I do take small walks with my dog but I try to walk on the ground because that is easier on the knees than concrete. You may friend me if you like - it appears we have several things in common.
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bicycle. I have had four knee surgeries and can't run a step. But I can ride all day with no pain.

For people who are overweight, sitting on a bike seat can be uncomfortable at first, but you get used to is, and if you are so inclined, there are a number of more comfortable workarounds or alternative types of bike seats that may be more suitable to your situation.

Here is an inspiring story that has been posted on this forum before:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike

Personally, I have lost over 40 pounds since I started riding, and have never felt better. Well, at least not since I was 21.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree about working out in the water. There's nothing wrong with wearing shorts and a tee over your swimsuit, if that would make you feel more comfortable. People do it all the time.

I know it'll take you out of your comfort zone, but really: there's nothing like it for bad knees. If you can put what other people think aside, and focus on what's best for you -- you're gonna win. I just encourage you to not let what others may think or say make your decisions for you. You can do it.

I also concur with the bike riding -- especially recumbent bikes. I had both knees replaced 8 years ago and a regular bike is still a bit difficult for me. But I'm gettin' one, when I reach onederland, and the the knees are gonna have to get over it. :)
  • ChanMay
    Options
    What about checking out a local hotel to see if they have monthly swim passes? That is what I do and I love it! More times than not, I am the only person in the pool :) I was too self conscious to go to the local pool because the one time I went, it was packed and I was afraid everyone would be laughing at me (although I'm quite sure it was all in my head) I find it very peaceful and relaxing at the hotel though and the membership is the same as I would pay anywhereselse.