Virtual Medals Anyone?

snaxandpop
snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone else enjoy earning virtual event medals? If you enjoy them please friend request me and let the world know what you are working on! I usually sign up through Run Motivators and am currently working on an 8K medal, AKA Pizza Pizza! The medal has 8 magnetic slices, each representing a 5K, which stick to the metal Pizza Pie. I find this to be a fun way to stay motivated to keep my lazy away and continue to move it move it!

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    i recently signed up for my first virtual race! it is through virtual pace series, and it is a copper bones trophy from the 80's movie 'the goonies'. they sent the medals quickly, even without actually doing the 5k, so we have them tucked away unopened. when i do my 'official' timed run (i use this loosely - i'm jogging/walking combo at present), i'll wear the number they sent, and at the end of this, i'll get my trophy. i LOVE the idea of it - keeps me going back to the track so i can improve enough to get my medal!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have done lots of virtual runs for all kinds of reasons. They aren’t “real” races but that doesn’t mean they can’t be fun. And right now-there aren’t any real races anyway.

I do virtual runs for charities that are important to me, for things that are just fun ideas, for fun/unique race swag, and right now-it’s especially important (for me) to be supporting race companies that are unable to generate any revenue from actual events and are attempting to stay afloat with virtual events.

Whatever gets someone up and moving and enjoying what they’re doing is a win in my book.

• snaxandpop
    We can't possibly be the only 3! I just finished the 19.1 mile Quarantinene Crazy Challenge. I will post a pick later.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    snaxandpop wrote: »
    We can't possibly be the only 3! I just finished the 19.1 mile Quarantinene Crazy Challenge. I will post a pick later.

Is this the one with the awesome shirt that says something like "I got dressed today!"? I did that one just for the shirt and cant wait until it ships!

I also did the Bigfoot Social Distancing Half (Skate) Marathon. It supports the food banks, and had national leaderboards, which made it a bit more fun.
  • Tophers_Motivation
    Tophers_Motivation Posts: 39 Member
    OK, where do I go to find the Goonies one?
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    I just signed up for my very first virtual race (and my second ever race, my first and only to date was 4 yrs ago) I found it through the virtual run events website. It’s called the “ Embrace Your Inner Unicorn” run. I’m almost finished couch to 5k (one week left!) and I use the Runicorn (apparently he is the official color run mascot) as my coach so he’s always telling me great job 😁 I figured this is a good way to finish off the program.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Ive done a couple of virtual races with Yesfit and virtualrunningclub. Got some really cool medals in the past from them including a headless horseman Halloween medal, a back to the future anniversary flux capacitor medal and i have the Cinderella medal. They offer some cool series as well to keep you motivated for more. And its a great way to go at your own pace. Have fun :-)
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Love Virtuals! One of my proudest moments for me.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    I do virtual races through Random Tuesday Inc. They have a few different running clubs you can join, and have communities on FB for support and additional competitions for fun. It's great for accountability. All the races benefit a charity, and most of the race cost is tax deductible! There's a Fandom Running Club for all kinds of fandom interests, a Harry Potter running club, a Doctor Who club, and a Gilmore Girl's club. It's great for us kinda nerdy people. Lol
  • snaxandpop
    I need to check out some of the site you guys use! I will look for The Goonies Event! So glad everyone jumped in here, I really enjoy the virtual events. It is missing all the excitement of a massive number of people gathering to burn all that energy and waiting for the medal to arrive is sometimes not fun, when you do get it tho..., but the pride of finishing an event is still the same.
  • snaxandpop
    I found 1 Goonies virtual event on Virtual Pace.
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop wrote: »

Is this the one with the awesome shirt that says something like "I got dressed today!"? I did that one just for the shirt and cant wait until it ships!

I also did the Bigfoot Social Distancing Half (Skate) Marathon. It supports the food banks, and had national leaderboards, which made it a bit more fun.

Yes! I really like funny shirts and medals
  • snaxandpop
    OK, where do I go to find the Goonies one?

I found a Goonies event on Virtual Pace
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    I just got notification my virtual medal shipped! How do you guys choose when you will do your "race" as opposed to just a workout?
  • snaxandpop
    I just got notification my virtual medal shipped! How do you guys choose when you will do your "race" as opposed to just a workout?

Usually I have a virtual to do, I just choose which activity to add mileage. I need to workout with weight more than I do.

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Goonies?!?! FUN!!!

I did my first triathlon virtually because the one I was signed up for in April was postponed to October and in its place they did QuaranTri - totally did it for the T-shirt! A unique way to mark this time in history. But then they made ALL the tris in the series (Rev3) virtual so here I am, 3 down, 3 to go! July, August, and October. They are selling a display case for all of the “medals” (wooden - magnetic so they can hang on a string, go on the fridge, or also designed to double as a coaster). Not at all what I anticipated for this year, but it’s been fun! And it was an unexpected way to push me out of my comfort zone and for me to prove to myself that I can still do this! (35 years old, autoimmune/fibromyalgia, health scares and surgeries in 2018, deep depression... I felt like I was already done. Not in a suicidal way, but like I was on the bench of life watching the world pass me by).
  • snaxandpop
    Sounds like you took the bull by the horns and wrestled the bad boy to the ground! You are a perfect example of overcoming physical and mental roadblocks to heal and achieve. Good luck and please post a picture of the shirt. Amazing what we will do for a shirt, LOL
  • snaxandpop
    Anyone still doing virtual races, walks, runs, biking? I am still virtual. Tell me what you are doing these days.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    My sister and I teamed up for a virtual "race" across America. Race is in quotes because our team name is The Sloths and we're mostly walking it, with a bit of stationary biking thrown in. We've calculated that we'll finish the 3,521 miles some time in 2024. Pricing is $70, $50, or $30. We chose the middle one to get the medal. (The highest rate includes a shirt, and the lowest rate does not include a medal or shirt). So far, after 2 1/2 weeks we're 67 miles in. :smile: The link is: https://runtheedge.com/pages/amerithon
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Love a good virtual run. Working on two of the conqueror challenges ATM and have another ordered for the queen's jubilee.

Love rokman challenges as well